motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 AM
μ

Default Le mans

I just got done watching Le mans for the umpteenth time and how is it in this day and age with all the tech know how and equipment we have they cant touch a film made almost 45 years ago ? To get the footage they have with the heavy cameras etc of that day is just amazing .
Old 04-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

They have the capability, just don't have the passion or talent to pull it off. Look at Ron Howard's Rush.....great film, but no where near as passionate as Le Mans.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
They have the capability, just don't have the passion or talent to pull it off. Look at Ron Howard's Rush.....great film, but no where near as passionate as Le Mans.
Agreed . I was hoping for more out of Rush as I read a lot about the technical breakthroughs he had made as far as the actual filming goes . He certainly made the effort but still came up way short .
Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

IMO Rush has no problem standing up against LeMans in every cinematographic sense. LeMans just seems better because it's already been an established classic. People invest their own emotions into old films and grow attached to them over the years.

It's the same reason, that no matter what graphic technology they use, Star Wars will never be able to top the original three movies with their spaceships hung by fishing line. We all romanticize the time when we first viewed those movies and it effects our judgement of them.

All vintage things just feel like they have more emotion because we've had years to inject our own emotions into our perception of them. In the same way, we all romanticize vintage car ownership over modern-day sports cars despite their distinct performance advantage.

This, of course, does not detract from how amazing it is that they managed to make movies such as LeMans and Grand Prix with the tools they had available at the time. They are quite the feat.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM
μ

Yeah the Star Wars phenomenon is crazy. I'm about as big a Star Wars fan as I can get and it seems like the tint of some people's rose tinted glasses must be so dark it's almost black. Acting like the prequels are so much worse than the originals, as if the originals didn't have tons of problems too.

I've actually never seen Le mans, I'll have to give it a try. I loved Rush to death.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good analysis, but Rush felt "movieish" to me and even though the racing was on location and quite admirable, the rest of the movie had the "filmed in a studio" aura to it, IMO.

Lemans had a documentary feel to it and above all else...Steve McQueen who was actually a pretty damned good race driver!

I saw Lemans on the big screen in 1971 in it's complete form, and have noticed that after McQueen hits the guardrail, the scene where he relives it through slow motion flashbacks while the blood on his balaclava slowly appears is sometimes deleted.

Deemed too violent possibly?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

For another good "documentary feel" race film, watch "Weekend of a Champion" on Netflix Streaming. It's raw because it's literally just a documentation of the weekend...but there's a beauty in the vintage aesthetic and a joy to be found in that era of racing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068178/
Old 06-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The 1955 Le Mans Disaster - 60 Years Thread

Found this really well written account on reddit.