motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 07-01-2015, 05:58 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
Listening to you complain about MINI not making you a really cheap sub-Cooper (which is blatantly obvious that is not the direction they are going) is like whining that Porsche won't make a 'super' entry level coupe/roadster.

In what way? When was Porsche ever an entry level car? Porsche has always been an expensive sports car. They have continued that brand philosophy for years through and through.

Mini was an entry level car for 40 years before BMW bought it up and started pretending that it was an upscale vehicle.

Edit:

Here's the math to spell out exactly what I mean:

Original Mini price in 1965: $1,340.00

1965 Mini MSRP adjusted for inflation: $10,116.15

Current Entry level MINI Price: $20,700.00

Original Porsche 911 price in 1965: $6,490.00

1965 Porsche MSRP adjustef for inflation: $48,995.38

Current Entry level Porsche Price: $52,600.00

Porsche still offers a car right around the original value of the car that they released back in 1965 (corrected for inflation). MINI on the other hand, doesn't come anywhere close. They have doubled the value of their entry level vehicle. MINI creating a low-cost entry level vehicle would be RIGHT in line with the original concept of the brand all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
There's no financially feasible way for MINI to make you a cheap car without diluting the entire brand, and making the company just like every other bland automaker. Sacrificing a lot of the strides they have made in the past years as a premium hot hatch manufacterer (pleased show me another automaker that has a cornered a market the way MINI has) all just to make a car that is a whole $6k cheaper than a Cooper and essentially a marginally stylized econobox? It would end up being very similar to the Fiat because it's financially strenuous to do anything better with a car that is being sold for such little money.
Of course there are financially feasible ways to do it. They're not going to dilute the whole brand...they would dilute the "premium" portion of the brand, but I do not think that's a bad thing for the company.

Do you have numbers to back up this statement that MINI has cornered the market? That's not in line with any of the performances I've seen in the market.

Also, how is what they are doing now any different than other "bland automakers" as you say? Selling a hatchback, a wagon, and a small SUV Crossover thing doesn't seem like a ground breaking concept either.

Last edited by Rally; 07-01-2015 at 06:20 PM..
Old 07-01-2015, 06:09 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
There is no reason at all that MINI couldn't make a simpler, cheaper car and be successful. Actually, offering a nicer-than-most cheaper car, even at a slim margin, would make excellent business sense. Those that still want the fancy car can get the fancy car, and those that want the cheaper car have to forgo the features of the next level up models... but it gives them something to shoot for, and as a result it expands the brand. It's the same model that BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus (among others) have used for years. Offer a much more affordable model to bring them in; then once they're part of the brand they'll aspire for the nicer version, and it's likely their next purchase. The next car may be the next step up, and so on. .

Boom! Exactly my point. Well said, Drew.

Look at VAG...they do this so well. A young kid can find his way into a $15K Jetta and aspire to one day move up to an Audi A4 once they get a promotion. From there, you can aspire to buy a 911 or an A8. They cover the entire market from the $15k highschool kid's car all the way up through a range of expensive luxury sedans and insane sportscars. They have a finger in every little market out there.

BMW already has the high-end luxury and high-end sportscar thing covered for their company. Why would they focus SOLELY on making high-end cute hatchbacks to compete with their own line? It makes far more sense to expand the lineup DOWN to cover more potential customers and attempt to get an even larger market share.

I still think the number of people who put "luxury" high on their priority list when shopping a MINI is incredibly low. Part of buying "luxury" is so you look "luxurious" or "rich"... neither of those is possible in a little 2 door with big eyes and a giant happy smile across the front end. That's probably about as niche as those of us who dream of a performance-driven MINI design.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

We may have a somewhat distorted view in the US because we don't get the MINI One or lower spec BMW models. The MINI One sells well, something like 20% of total MINI sales worldwide. MINI USA and BMW USA push for a more premium image than the parent company.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:36 AM
μ

The more I've looked at this, the more I'm inclined to retract my comments.

There's a few videos over on MF that are kinder to the car. It's growing on me...the timing is wrong, though. We are shopping for a new family hauler right now.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/06/...ercial-is-out/

Click the image to open in full size.
Tit + Bec = '09 AB JCW // '90 964 C2 // '15 R60 CCS // Australia
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM
μ

Melting Silver. :hnggg:
Old 07-07-2015, 02:44 AM
Leadership

Quote:
4th Gear: A Bigger, More Mainstream Mini

I’m intrigued by the new six-door Mini Clubman wagon, as it seems a smart evolution for that quirky yet practical car. According to the Detroit Free Press, it’s a preview of where the brand itself is going: larger, more mainstream, and aimed at bringing in new buyers. They kind of have to.

Its sales this year are down 27% from the first half of 2013, despite the fact that the overall market has risen consistently since then, and Mini’s introduction of a fine new version of its signature hardtop model last year. That car — available with four doors for the first time — began Mini’s evolution to a more practical brand that offers vehicles suitable for everyday use, Duncan said.

“Mini has to do something. The brand is struggling,” Autotrader senior analyst Michelle Krebs said. “It’s possible that all the people who wanted one already got one,” because the brand’s small model line did not offer much variety.
They’re also set to get more expensive to compete with the Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA, which start relatively cheap-ish but can easily hit $50,000 with options. Longtime fans, the Free Press, can expect some “sticker shock.”

That’s all well and good, and the newer Minis are impressive cars, but I wish they’d make at least one truly small car again.
http://jalopnik.com/hondas-new-ceo-w...-mo-1715948156
http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...sive/29628723/
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
Melting Silver. :hnggg:
Now you're getting excited over silver paint? Are you feeling okay?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM
μ

That's the best silver they've ever had I take that back, I really liked Sparkling Silver too. I get excited easily
Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

The Paceman lights are growing on me.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by INIMINI View Post
The Paceman lights are growing on me.
Now just imagine if they actually followed the body lines and ran vertically.....like Mini taillights should.

I also removed the rendundant reflectors because they don't seem to offer anything of importance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clubman.jpg (47.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
I also removed the rendundant reflectors because they don't seem to offer anything of importance.
I think they are rear fogs. Anyway, they light up.

https://youtu.be/NJQE40FNCak?t=255 (4:15)
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I think they are rear fogs. Anyway, they light up.
Yeah after typing that I realized they probably put the fogs in their as an option. It'd look better to have the fogs in the tails but I'm sure there's some law or something that keeps them from doing so. Oh well....looks better without them.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Have to have rear reflectors, Feds say so...

But, this is Clubbie is decent looking (even better with Rally's redo) and looks so much better than the regular 4-door MINI.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by werD View Post
Have to have rear reflectors, Feds say so...
Yeah, which is usually why they require those weird secondary reflectors when cars have clear brake lights and such...but the clubman's brake lights would probably be more than enough to satisfy the feds because red brake lights usually integrate reflectors.