motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 AM
μ

Default A new "Minor" from BMW/Toyota

at $15K a direct rival for the Fiat 500.....

http://news.boldride.com/2015/02/toy...ew-mini/68724/

Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
μ

I'm really hoping it turns out looking even half as good as the concept
Old 03-16-2015, 01:12 PM
μ

I truly hope MINI brings this concept to the market. I love the idea of a truly small MINI hatchback that doesn't offer as many features as standard, and as a result drops the weight and complexity of the current models. Something more along the lines of a Mazda 2, with a few nice features, but otherwise very basic platform.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I truly hope MINI brings this concept to the market. I love the idea of a truly small MINI hatchback that doesn't offer as many features as standard, and as a result drops the weight and complexity of the current models. Something more along the lines of a Mazda 2, with a few nice features, but otherwise very basic platform.
Yup...I've been saying this for years. A $15k daily driver option for those of us who truly just need a simple little car that can reliably get us from point A to point B so we can have our fun side project cars or something. I'm excited and really hope they don't get too wacky with the design.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

It's called the SCION IQ.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by INIMINI View Post
It's called the SCION IQ.
Yeah....but then you're driving a scion.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm sorry but at a $15k price point I can't see this thing being any kind of quality. I hope this doesn't dilute the brand (yes, I remember that the original R50 years ago was close to this starting point). With that said, I love the look of this car.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
I'm sorry but at a $15k price point I can't see this thing being any kind of quality. I hope this doesn't dilute the brand (yes, I remember that the original R50 years ago was close to this starting point). With that said, I love the look of this car.
Dilute which brand? BMW?

The original Mini brand was based off of an economical, simple, bare-bones design. It's not like Mini stood for high-quality luxury. The things were small metal boxes with just enough to do their job. If anything, attempting to even come close to the $15k price point will require them to return to the original brand philosophy that gave rise to the car that BMW has been trying to improve on ever since. I doubt they'll hit the 15k mark, but if the philosophy is able to guide them I think that will be a positive thing for the "Minor".

I for one, would love to see a car come out like that again without all the stupid navigation, leather dash jargon.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:22 PM
μ

right, don't need navigation, or a fancy stereo with large display; all you need is something simple to plug in a smart phone and charge, like just a simple receiver and a few speakers and small sub woofer.
The whole car can just be a simple chassis, with just enough safety stuff. No auto windows, locks, etc. Keep it simple and stupid light.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:41 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
right, don't need navigation, or a fancy stereo with large display; all you need is something simple to plug in a smart phone and charge, like just a simple receiver and a few speakers and small sub woofer.
The whole car can just be a simple chassis, with just enough safety stuff. No auto windows, locks, etc. Keep it simple and stupid light.
Exactly...that sounds perfect to me. At the rate that technology has progressed, you could have an impressive stereo setup with nothing but a few small speakers and a good plug for the phones that EVERYONE has now. Imagine it with the simple fabric seats that come in the I3 and a minimalist dash like the ones that came in the mk1 minis. No center console with a million switches eating into your legroom...just a dash straight across to house the airbags.

If I wanted high quality luxury with all the bells and whistles, I'd look at a 5-series.

This is the brand that shouldn't be diluted:

Old 04-07-2015, 05:49 PM
μ

It does seem weird that they're considering this low-cost entry model when they're simultaneously talking about taking the brand to a more luxurious level.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
It does seem weird that they're considering this low-cost entry model when they're simultaneously talking about taking the brand to a more luxurious level.
I doubt they'll take the MINI brand TOO far into luxury because they can't have it competing with their 1 or 2 series lineups.

I imagine they are going for the VAG lineup tactic where they offer a wide range of cars from a budget MINI up to their six figure luxury BMWs. The MINI will fill the lower end of the spectrum much like Volkswagen does, while BMW will fill the space that Audi holds. Just like a Golf will never reach the quality level of an A3/4, I'm sure BMW will ensure that the MINI is never quite as nice as their BMWs.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 PM
μ

yup I think the folks at MINI are on the wrong course with the cars they're coming out with. Instead of more and more luxury they should go for basic and simple and original.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:40 PM
μ

It's my understanding that they're pushing the brand into more premium territory because it just flat out wasn't selling to the general populace before. You can't just make a car for the enthusiast, the brand wouldn't survive like that.

Maybe the Minor can change that, it would be cool to see a bare bones MINI. I just don't think it would sell well.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM
μ

Quote:
You can't just make a car for the enthusiast, the brand wouldn't survive like that.
I have been saying that since day one when people wanted a performance MINI. I don't think, however, that building a budget MINI would be appealing to the enthusiasts as much as appealing to those with low budgets that still want an "interesting" high-quality car.

It seems unlike BMW to increase the "prestige" of a model when it would directly attack their sales on their 1-series....especially as they begin to offer lower-priced FWD cars in their BMW lineup.

Volkswagen has proven that you can sell non-enthusiast cars in large numbers without stepping into the luxury world.

Quote:
Maybe the Minor can change that, it would be cool to see a bare bones MINI. I just don't think it would sell well.
I think we have to not think of it as a "bare bones" MINI. To 99% of consumers, the idea would be sold as an inexpensive option that is small enough for city commuting while still offering German quality, safety, and presumably great fuel mileage.

I'm a good example of the ideal customer (not as an enthusiast). Right now, I really want a new daily. I would like it to be a new car so that it can have a simple warranty. I'm young and single so I don't have any need for a big sedan or wagon. I have no need for it to be an exciting car or a high performance car because I simply need a car that gets me to and from work, Los Angeles, etc. Good gas mileage would be great for my budget.

And the biggest sticking point is that if you want to spend around $20k or below, you're stuck with Hyundais, American cars (rental car status), etc. Volkswagen offers some nice German cars around that range that certainly intrigue customers like me....I think MINI could easily step in an offer an even better alternative.

Think how tempting an $17k MINI would be in today's market. If you didn't need the back seats or the navigation...it'd be hard to find a more stylish, more fun car for anywhere near that price. It'd be great for young city dwellers, fortunate teenagers in need of a first car, or retirees in need of a commuter. As long as it looked decent, I would most likely drop whatever daily I had to buy one.