motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default Thoughts on my pulley upgrades...

Just got back from getting a new 2% super ATI damper pulley put in. As long as they were in there I had a 16% overdrive supercharger pulley added(belt, and plugs too). The acceleration is so much more consistant compaired to the one that was doing out. I got charged $450 in labor. Fair? My first car upgrades to my 2005 S. I'm starting to feel a little addicted. Perhaps intake and exhaust next?
Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Just got back from getting a new 2% super ATI damper pulley put in. As long as they were in there I had a 16% overdrive supercharger pulley added(belt, and plugs too). The acceleration is so much more consistant compaired to the one that was doing out. I got charged $450 in labor. Fair? My first car upgrades to my 2005 S. I'm starting to feel a little addicted. Perhaps intake and exhaust next?
It's been awhile but for some sort of reference the going rate for just the SC pulley job used to be $400 with the cost of the pulley included . If you pully coast was in the $150 range your labor was approx $ 250 for your SC and they hit you $ 200 for the ATI and plug swap .

Randy
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 PM
μ

Helix charges $350 for the SC install, that includes the pulley and tax.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Yea with both pulleys new belt and plugs I paid 450 in labor. It runs like a champ though.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

First mod to my '05 R53 was an H comp rear sway bar. I put a 15% pulley on at about 60K for $400. After getting it installed, my only regret was not doing it sooner. Later I also added the 2% ATI crank when the old one broke. It didn't feel very different but I think they are less prone to failure.

For the Intake I found a used JCW intake and disconnected the flap that normally didn't open until 4500 rpms.

Exhaust add was a nice Miltek.

After adding more go power it helps to add more stopping power. I paid $100 for a slightly used set of R56S front brakes. They are the same as the R53 JCW brakes. Big improvement!

'02 R50, '05 R53, '12 Cooper R60, '13 JCW GP
Old 04-17-2014, 02:25 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnna View Post
First mod to my '05 R53 was an H comp rear sway bar. I put a 15% pulley on at about 60K for $400. After getting it installed, my only regret was not doing it sooner. Later I also added the 2% ATI crank when the old one broke. It didn't feel very different but I think they are less prone to failure.

For the Intake I found a used JCW intake and disconnected the flap that normally didn't open until 4500 rpms.

Exhaust add was a nice Miltek.

After adding more go power it helps to add more stopping power. I paid $100 for a slightly used set of R56S front brakes. They are the same as the R53 JCW brakes. Big improvement!
Some good ideas. I'm liking my 2% ATI crank and my 16% pully so far. I need new tires so that's where my money is going to end up next.