motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 02-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default ALTA Exhaust sounding tinny?!

I wanted to ask for your guys' feedback. I bought my ALTA Turboback exhaust with the oval tip like a year ago and have had it on the car now for about 9K.

Well of course I have developed a rattle in the back when the seats are down, but it seems the exhaust note of my exhaust has completely changed lately.

It used to sound nice and MINIish. For those with aftermarket exhaust you may know what I mean, it sounds agressive for a 4 cylinder motor!

It used to sound like that, but it seems like more now when I get on the throttle especially next to traffic or other cars with the windows down, I dont hear that tone anymore. Its starting to sound like a civic and just nasty.

Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this? I dont think I have an exhaust leak at the v-bands at all, but I have noticed when the car is warmed up and idling, my motor does sound different from the front. I used to be able to just hear the injectors cycling from the front but it sounds like now I hear an intermittent sort of knocking that may be the exhaust hitting something or the bolt that holds the exhaust to the block itself is loose. I havent had a chance to jack up the front (I dont have a low profile jack or wood at my house ).

Is there ANY input someone can give on this?! Pics for clicks

Last edited by Gilboyto; 10-04-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

could it be their resonator? their resonators tend to blowout prematurely on the r53's, i don't know about the r56's though... might want to find someone with a jack so you can get the ride in the air and do some knocking around.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hmmm would that mean the resonator would have no packing, essentially?

I havent checked that! I may do it tomorrow when I am off of work but I know that the exhaust is not hitting anything like heat shields because I have checked that a few times cold and hot after a run.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
μ

yeah, the packing in the resonator goes to sh!te... get's real rattly and ting-y. super rice replace it with a magnaflow resonator that's what i did with my r53 alta setup.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hmmm interesting. I may check this out today then as it should only take a few minutes to pull it down. Just to clarify what should I be looking for? Should I shake it around and see if materials fall out, or just look thru the holes and see if there is any packing left?

ALTA claims that they now have a "lifetime warranty" on their catback exhausts....if this is the case I may be chiming them soon because Ive had this exhaust less than a year!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM
μ

just give it a bang with your fist and you'll know right away if the insides are loose. no need to take it down.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sounds good! Maybe I will do this before I even leave work in about 5 minutes. People are going to be looking at me funny laying on the ground but whatever! Im sure Ill hear the materials moving around. Ugh....if its not one thing its another!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM
μ

Sorry to bring a dead thread back to life but this is fairly relevant.

I installed an alta catback exhaust around 1 month ago and have done less than 300 kms with it so far. Each time I return home from a drive the rear of the car has quite a bit of 'glittery dust' on it. After yesterday's drive my boot (trunk) is covered in so much of this glitter that it would make Ke$ha jealous.

After searching the net, and reading the above posts, I reckon I have a similar problem. I'm 99% sure that the dust is the exhaust packing blowing out.

Damn it...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
Sorry to bring a dead thread back to life but this is fairly relevant.

I installed an alta catback exhaust around 1 month ago and have done less than 300 kms with it so far. Each time I return home from a drive the rear of the car has quite a bit of 'glittery dust' on it. After yesterday's drive my boot (trunk) is covered in so much of this glitter that it would make Ke$ha jealous.

After searching the net, and reading the above posts, I reckon I have a similar problem. I'm 99% sure that the dust is the exhaust packing blowing out.

Damn it...
I had two Borla exhaust systems and both of them did the same thing in the beginning . I think the excess packing blows out and then settles in ok. I would not sweat it at this point as if they are anything like the Borla the glitter bath should stop shortly .

Randy
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
μ

Thanks Randy. I sure hope it stops.

Ill have to take a photo in the sunlight to show you the full effect. It has formed deposits in the crevices and ledges along the rear bumper... A friend of mine wrote on my back windscreen with their finger and after a 40 min drive through the mountains you can not see where or what he wrote.

Tags
alta, civic, exhaust, turboback