motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM
μ

Default GoPro or Contour HD Cameras?

Does anyone own or have experience with the GoPro or Contour HD cameras? I am thinking about getting one and am looking for thoughts, experiences, opinions, etc.

There are things I like about each but I am ever so slightly leaning toward the Contour. It seems to have a little more versatility as far as mounting. I also like the more tubular shape as it seems to lend itself to better, more stable mounting.

I should point out that it would rarely, if ever, be mounted in my car. I would mostly be mounting it on my bike, a helmet/hat and possibly the puppy (seriously ).
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

i've seen downhill mt bike footage taken from erik's gopro hd and it looks great. can't say anything other than that... i'm sure he'll chime in
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've used GoPros a bunch. They make great video. The audio can be iffy depending on the situation. Good bang for the buck. Plus they are durable as hell.

I've never heard of a "Contour Cam"

2010 MCS 6sp, CP, SP, SS, LSD
"Hey. What's the skinny one on the right for?"
Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Haven't used the Contour, but used Erik's GoPro HD quite a bit. It's sick for the mountain bike.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
μ

I should have included this in the original post but here are links to each camera.
GoPro: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero-naked-camera/
Contour: http://contour.com/camera/contour_hd

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have the GoPro and its an awesome little camera. Its very easy to use and shoots awesome video. The audio in my opinion is pretty good for motor sports however with the "waterproof" back on the camera you loose alot of the clarity in the audio. Also, all of the GoPros shoot in a wide angle which is really cool and makes for some interesting shots. But it limits what you can use the camera for. I really like me GoPro and I dont regret buying it at all I actually wish I had another one.

That being said I have no experience with the other camera that you mentioned

Nick
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

GoPro. I picked on up a few months ago on amazon for 240 (motorsports Hero Package).

Good video and durable as hell and almost everything is replaceable (case, parts etc). They've also got great customer service.

I got the video back also, well worth the extra money to get through the weird setting menu.

Last edited by alden; 04-28-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I forgot that Contour put this out also. iphone viewfinder

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/22/c...alk-to-your-c/
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i have the gopro! it is awesome. i have the HD one. heres two videos i shot at 780p HD keep in mind this camera can record all the way up to 1080p full HD

the thing with the go pro is you really have to play around with the settings to get it just right. you also have the option of using it as a full regular camera. sound quality isnt great. you can also now buy a digital back for the gopro so now you can see what you are filming,

this video was taken using one of the sticky mounts that i mounted to my helmet at my local BMX track

http://vimeo.com/14507954

and in this video the camera was clipped to my lower grill.
http://vimeo.com/16679328

i havea few more videos to upload from using the car mount. a friend of mine has the bike mounts and im very eager to try them out
Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I like the video quality on the gopro's. Not the most intuitive camera to use though.

I didn't even look at the contour until I saw this video with DC explaining how he used them w/ the laser sighting to shoot Rhys Millen's climb attack video in Brazil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEv1Vfm35Eg
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Hey there, I've heard good things for both, here's a link to a comparison table that could help you choose.

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/compa...helmet_cameras

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
μ

I don't think it matters. The GoPro really just came into it's own with the most recent firmware. The first couple or rev's of the hardware and software were iffy. Mine has proven reliable and cost effective. Aiming it is not the easiest thing in the world at first but after you get used to it you'll find it very easy. FYI i shoot just about everything in r4 mode so that I get more verticle FOV.

I know this sounds like a stupid reason to use the gopro over the countour... but usage of the gopro for professional applications has blown up over the last little bit. I have a feeling that the wide spread acceptance by TV and movie people along with the slew of marketing and usage in the industry is just going to lead to more development and a better product.

Some of my films can be found here:
www.youtube.com/user/drkoptprime
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Wifi BacPac and Remote now available as of today... Convenience-town!

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Wi-Fi-Ba.../dp/B007STXESQ

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

FWIW - Contour cams, amongst other things, are battlefield proven. UK & USA helmet cam mounts the Contours for battlefield footage... I know GoPro is also an option, but I've not seen as many in use as the Contour. Primarily because the GoPro is a front mount in lieu of the night vision - so the side mount Contour is slim & doesn't sacrifice any other equipment.

They are capable, footage always seems to look nice.

But, I have to agree with Erik - given the option I'd be apt to do the GoPro as they are off to the races with marketplace acceptance and are quickly gaining features.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm using the GoPro quite regular (I shoot car videos for a living), and we also had an internal discussion regarding Contour vs GoPro. A disadvantage of the Contour is that you'll easily lose the tiny MicroSD card if you drop the camera...