motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
μ

any reason?

poor customer service? poor quality? they just use shitty components? bad design?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingsan View Post
any reason?

poor customer service? poor quality? they just use shitty components? bad design?

From what I have read their quality control is really poor now.

By any chance you check out the bikes I was looking at? When you compare the components vs most anything else they are a really good deal
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Yeah, quality has just gone down so much. That aside though, the component sets of the Scott and C'dale look much better for the money.

I can't tell you how many of those GT's Erik and I have seen hobbling down the trails creaking like mofo's.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Sirk View Post
From what I have read their quality control is really poor now.

By any chance you check out the bikes I was looking at? When you compare the components vs most anything else they are a really good deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Yeah, quality has just gone down so much. That aside though, the component sets of the Scott and C'dale look much better for the money.

I can't tell you how many of those GT's Erik and I have seen hobbling down the trails creaking like mofo's.
Thanks for the details, guys. I'll make sure to stay away from them.

Sirk - when I do my component breakdown I'll include the fezzari, but I'm kinda put off by building my own bike when I could be riding. It would be much more enticing if it were late fall rigt now. Also not being able to ride it first is a little off-putting.

I was jonsing for the specialized camber, but it's just a bit out of my price range.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingsan View Post
Thanks for the details, guys. I'll make sure to stay away from them.

Sirk - when I do my component breakdown I'll include the fezzari, but I'm kinda put off by building my own bike when I could be riding. It would be much more enticing if it were late fall rigt now. Also not being able to ride it first is a little off-putting.

I was jonsing for the specialized camber, but it's just a bit out of my price range.
Its only the front wheel, pedels, seat an handle bars ... no more then an hour (thats what it took me to put together my beach cruiser), but I do understand your concern.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM
μ

ah, the way someone was explaining it to me it was like you got each of the parts, and had to put together from scrap. like pressing bearings and building cranksets and the whole shebang. granted he was guessing, but he knows alot more about bikes than i do. good to know!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
μ

anybody have input on the santa cruz superlight? i had it narrowed down to scott spark 60 and 50, but want something with a slightly "louder" color scheme. all the components seem to line up, slightly better shocks, slightly worse brakes, the only issue is that the closest dealership is ~2.5 hours away.

worth the drive for a ride...?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
μ

I used to ride one of those. Bit of a simple design by today's standards but sometimes simple is better. I haven't ridden one with a new rear shock with pro-pedal/platform so I can't say much about them at this point. I broke 3 rear triangles of the frame but that was 10 years ago and I know they addressed those issues.
Personally I'd pick the Scott though, it's just a more modern frame.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have a 2010 superlight demo bike that i've ridden weekly for the past 2 years. the single pivot design is a bit outdated but not too shabby. The Fox RP23 rear shock works well with pro pedal once you have the bike set up correctly. you won't notice much pedal bob UNTIL you ride something like a turner or ellsworth. hehe.

i highly recommend demo'ing a turner. i rode my buddy's bike and am now on the lookout for one.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM
μ

yup but Turners are level up in expense compared to the others listed. I have an older Turner 5 Spot from 2005 and it is more reliable than my newer Banshee Spitfire.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i got my superlight demo bike for $1100 fr Santa Cruz and my buddy got his '08 5 spot on craigslist for $1500 2,3 months ago. they are out there. good luck w/ your search!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM
μ

is the main difference between the two bikes (scott spark vs santa cruz superlight) the number of pivot locations and shock placement? i'm a bit new to understanding how different aspects of the frame translate into different feelings during a ride. even if there's a bit of light reading you can forward me onto rather than the "technical info written by the marketing department" the vendor websites have.

i'm totally open to going used on a bike, unfortunately I feel like I need a small frame and there just aren't any in my area. i can hardly find shops with a small for me to test ride let alone a last years model or someone looking to upgrade.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
μ

technically the scott spark and superlight both are considered "single pivot" as the rear axle is located in one and the same beam that attaches to the frame. Even though the spark has more pivots the location of the pivot above the rear axle makes it single pivot from a suspension design. The additional pivots do allow for a bit of fine tuning of the leverage of the shock. It's just that the spark is a bit more modern in frame tubing and shaping. The spark has a different brand read shock and I don't know how well it performs compared to the Fox RP23 on the superlight. Either way, you can't go wrong with these bikes. They're both nice rides. How short are you to need a small frame? If you're in between sizes you might consider going for the bigger one and then get a shorter stem which is often a good thing.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
μ

awesome, thanks for the lesson!

i'm 5'6" with a ~30" inseam. I fit on medium bikes (i ride a medium raleigh hardtail right now) but after test riding on a small, i feel more comfortable getting my ass out over the rear tire on the smaller size.

wouldn't a shorter stem make me lean forward more and make it that much harder to shift my weight back?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 AM
μ

no, a shorter stem actually makes you move back easier.
seems like you're on the shorter end of a medium, but that's the right size if you get a shorter stem. Shorter stem is much better than needing a long stem on a small bike. I'm speaking in general terms...