motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

This is horrible, I really can't fathom how someone would do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum4 View Post
Yea it is screwed up and the media is all over the gun control issue instead of concentrating on the real issue right now, the loss of life. A friend of mine said it best, "I would like to see a civil suit against the theater for having a policy of no firearms and thus endangering the public and wrongful death in a state that has laws designed specifically to prevent such tragedies. If liberals can do it to us, it would be a great response"
I totally agree with him and the one or those involved need some Capital Punishment!
For reals, no amount of gun control will stop a madman who is hell bent on killing people. They need to focus on giving this guy the needle before everyone gets political.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

lived 4 blocks away for about 20 years, worked at that mall in high school. My old high school, 3 blocks away, was the place they took witnesses. Heck I've a seen a few movies at that place while in college.

All I've been hearing and seeing on radio and TV today is "how could this have been prevented". News casters shoveling blame back and forth.

I just shake my head, we're never going to solve or fix crazy MF'ers like this. Our sitcom society thinks all problems can be solved in 30 minutes. This is plain and simple domestic terrorism. Acts taken out by a crazy dude, trying to tell the world something. Trying to scare us from going about our daily lives.

We all just need to watch out and make sure that the people we love, know it.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nothing can stop a mad man. but if a few people in that crowd had a gun themselves the outcome would've been a lot different.

I really need to get my CHL....

Crazy people are going to get guns no matter what, All strictur gun-control will do is make it harder for normal people to protect themselves
Old 07-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Problem is the CWP people weren't carrying as the theatre is a gun free zone and the law abiding CWP holders don't want to break the law!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 AM
μ

Quote:
Problem is the CWP people weren't carrying as the theatre is a gun free zone and the law abiding CWP holders don't want to break the law!
Exactly. So sad.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 AM
μ

Quote:
Yea it is screwed up and the media is all over the gun control issue instead of concentrating on the real issue right now, the loss of life. A friend of mine said it best, "I would like to see a civil suit against the theater for having a policy of no firearms and thus endangering the public and wrongful death in a state that has laws designed specifically to prevent such tragedies. If liberals can do it to us, it would be a great response"
I totally agree with him and the one or those involved need some Capital Punishment!
Unfortunately, that civil suit would go nowhere. The movie theater is private property open to the public. The owners of the property can, within reason, put in place whatever rules they see fit.

And if you are (properly) carrying concealed to protect your family and yourself then you always carry, period. You break the rules or you do not patronize establishments that do not allow guns on their property.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

Gun control would not have stoped this. We have very strict gun control laws and we had a similar incident in a mall last year. That guy had a gun permit but was also under psychiatric treatment. Apparently because medical files are confidential they can't be linked when someone want's a gun permit.

Do I think gun control would make for a safer environment, yes, but it will never stop incidents like this.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
μ

Bad guys will always find a way. Guns, bombs, knives. They are going to find a situation in their favor and exploit it. All strict gun laws do is make it harder for people like me to protect my self.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Bad guys will always find a way. Guns, bombs, knives. They are going to find a situation in their favor and exploit it. All strict gun laws do is make it harder for people like me to protect my self.
I couldn't have said that any better
Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Exactly. My prayers are with the families of the victims of this incident.

Unbelievable that the next time any of us want to just go to the d**** movies we will probably have to go through a metal detector.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 AM
µ Retired

the thing is... he did not go to the movies...he broke in the emergency exit from the outside of the building...at least that is my understanding. Beefing up security with detectors will do nothing if they come in through the back door.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 AM
μ

From what I heard, which still backs up dr stylo. He was in the theater. "took a call" and went out through the emergency exit. then returned with said weapons. So yeah. It woulda made no difference from the front end.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 AM
μ

The story of Jessica Redfield, one of the victims: http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/56369600

Back on June 2, she was in the Toronto mall food court just minutes before someone began shooting people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Redfield
My receipt shows my purchase was made at 6:20 pm. After that purchase I said I felt funny. It wasn’t the kind of funny you feel after spending money you know you shouldn’t have spent. It was almost a panicky feeling that left my chest feeling like something was missing. A feeling that was overwhelming enough to lead me to head outside in the rain to get fresh air instead of continuing back into the food court to go shopping at SportChek. The gunshots rung out at 6:23. Had I not gone outside, I would’ve been in the midst of gunfire.
Her blog post detailing what happened at the Eaton Centre mall in Toronto. And her final Tweet from Friday night.

Sadly, she was killed in that theater in Aurora, CO.

Police radio traffic from the incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFuNDOQ3b-0
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 AM
μ

I'm going to post this here and the weapons thread. I think it's worth while. This is from my tactical weapons instructor. He is also an instructor to many government agencies.

Thoughts for tonight...

Fact:
If a criminal is willing to commit a crime, then they are willing to commit a crime to acquire a weapon to act that crime out. So if the Gov't takes away the responsible armed citizen rights to carry and or own a firearm then the Gov't is only stripping us from our protective rights and allowing the criminal to continue to act as usual as well as having a force monopoly.

Fact:
The majority of concealed carry and open carry armed citizens are a liability. Just because you go through a 1 day course doesn't not mean that you can problem solve an armored active shooter in a never expected, dark, tear gassed disruptive environment with screaming people while stepping over dead bodies. You must understand advanced applications under stress. Just like a pilot graduating flight school doesn't mean he's ready to jump into air to air combat.

Fact:
The second amendment was created to facilitate the right to life. NO man, law, or opinion should ever infringe on the natural right to defends one's self, family, or someone in society who's life is being threatened.

Fact:
When politicians take an anti-Second Amendment stance, we seriously need to wonder about their motives.

Fact:
The Second Amendment does not grant us this right. This right already existed. The Second Amendment merely prevents the government from infringing on it.

Fact: There is a Scumbag criminal out there right now about to break into someones home in the middle of the night and hurt or kill someone. If you take away the Second Amendment then… the scumbag is still going to break into someones home in the middle of the night and hurt or kill someone.

Fact:
I can have my neighbors call 911 and tell dispatch: "A man just shot and killed everyone in my neighbors house and ran out the front door" or I can call 911 and tell dispatch: "A man just broke into my house and presented a lethal threat to my family and I killed him as he came through my front door."

Fact:
When a gun is sitting on a table it is only a gun sitting on a table… When a killer picks it up, it's only a tool that the killer picks up. When the killer shoots an innocent with the tool everyone forgets about the killer and blames the tool.

Fact:
The spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole9953 View Post
Nothing can stop a mad man. but if a few people in that crowd had a gun themselves the outcome would've been a lot different.

I really need to get my CHL....
This is a joke, right?

Dark theater, crazed gunman in BODY ARMOR, panicked crowd, and some armed civilians trying to take him down?

You're right, it would have turned out A LOT WORSE.

edit: One day we'll realize that there's really nothing we can do to "fix" this problem. Crazy people are crazy and no amount of regulation/law will prevent them from doing crazy things.