motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Motoring Events Stay informed of upcoming motoring events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Motoring Events

Old 06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
μ

Is there a photo thread somewhere?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
Is there a photo thread somewhere?
I wish. I saw a lot of people taking photos, but very few are posted anywhere. There a few on facebook and SCMM. Surprisely nothing here, on NAM, or MA. This used to be a big premier event and now the coverage is gone.

Kelli and I had a blast up there. We decided to go at the last minute and drove up Saturday morning at 6 AM to make it to the car show. On the trip up the timing belt tensioner collapsed and we arrived at 9 with the motor sounding like a diesel. Since we couldn't check in until 3, we parked in the show, unloaded all of our luggage behind the car, and were so busy prepping and talking to people that we never took a picture. Once we had the car ready, I started making mojitos and unsucessfully tried to curry favor with the judges by offering them free drinks.

After the show we loaded all of the luggage back into the car and I talked to Way and found out the tensioner was a $45 part and arranged for him to change it for us so we left the show and went to Desert MINI for the part. Desert MINI did not disappoint as once again I recieved a nice reaming from them as they gave me a discount and charged me $67, down from $75, on a $45 part. I actually watched him change the list price on the computer from $45 to $75 and then apply the discount. This was better than the $375 they charged me for a brake bleed two years ago though. We got the part back to Way and then headed in for lunch at the Oyster Bar.

After lunch we returned to the car and found out that Way needed a short 19mm to change it out so thanks to Mark Finn from Sin City MINI for throwing us the keys to his car we were able to drive up to Autozone and buy a socket. Way got the car fixed and it was finally purring again. We finally got checked in and were able to chill out in the room. Overall it was a very busy day.

At 6 the pool party started and it was a lot fun hanging out with old friends and meeting some new ones. Kelli ended up winning "Best in Show" which was unexpected since she has never won anything at a MINI car show. After the pool party shut down, we all headed out to the parking garage and drank absinthe with a big group until the wee hours of the morning.

AMVIV was alot of fun for us. It was no where near the attendance that it used to be and it was sad to see compared to the heyday, but there are still a lot of good people going and there are enough activities to keep you busy, plus it's in Vegas baby. It was really hot though, and I think it would be better if it was back in March, but at least it wasn't record setting heat like Wuste two weeks before. I was glad it was back at the Palace Station hotel though and the Sin City MINI Club really put on a great event.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I too was shocked by the lack of attendance. I made it for one day thanks to my current schedule. Besides picking up some stealth bulbs and a stubby from Craven I talked to a few other owners that I recognized from last year. Sadly I didn't see any MUers there but as a friend informed me prior, not many where going to make it this year.

I did get a 3 digit roundel number sticker on my rear window, someone probably assumed I was in the car show, lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ya it was a lot of fun. I have a few crappy phone pictures I can post tomorrow of the event.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6709&dateline=1335062  411
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

The date change to make it easier for people to come has conspired with my loss of three Weeks paid vacation under the new ownership to make AMVIV nearly impossible to attend. Piety much anything in full bike season is automatically out like AMVIV and the dragon
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The only car that was worth taking pictures of was Red Rum everything else what pretty standard. Which I saw when Way was changing the tensioner. Congrats on the Best in Show you deserve it

Having never been to Vegas. I had alot of fun but I didn't get up early enough to make anything. Having been up late drinking and seeing things
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S View Post
The date change to make it easier for people to come has conspired with my loss of three Weeks paid vacation under the new ownership to make AMVIV nearly impossible to attend. Piety much anything in full bike season is automatically out like AMVIV and the dragon
i don't think that it was changed to make it easier for people to attend. The last one in March 2010 that was at the Aliante had horrible weather. It was cold and windy and the location was not popular. They had to change the date the next year because of some huge event that happens every 5 years and books everything up so there was no facility available in March 2011. This year who knows why it was in June, but they never had any trouble bringing people in before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnewby View Post
The only car that was worth taking pictures of was Red Rum everything else what pretty standard. Which I saw when Way was changing the tensioner. Congrats on the Best in Show you deserve it

Having never been to Vegas. I had a lot of fun but I didn't get up early enough to make anything. Having been up late drinking and seeing things
Thanks, you made Kelli's day. Sorry I didn't get to meet you or if I did I didn't connect the screen name with the person.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

Yeah the Alliante is the nicest cheap place I've seen in Vegas and great if you don't want to do typical Vegas but too far out if you do. The there years we drove out were a blast and well worth it.
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batrugger View Post
Thanks, you made Kelli's day. Sorry I didn't get to meet you or if I did I didn't connect the screen name with the person.
We didn't meet I skulked around Red Rum looking at the details For a while (amazing polished parts and rims) it was jacked up. Sorry we didn't meet up. I need to come to So-cal for a car meet. (though I wrecked my car today so it will be a while )
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnewby View Post
We didn't meet I skulked around Red Rum looking at the details For a while (amazing polished parts and rims) it was jacked up. Sorry we didn't meet up. I need to come to So-cal for a car meet. (though I wrecked my car today so it will be a while )
Thanks and sorry to hear about your collision. I read that you are okay and that's what's important.