motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanrw View Post

Oh, and the rears do have pillow ball upper mounts too so I don't see how there's so much pressure on it causing it to snap like that.
I posted this on IG for you, but it's easier to type here...

If your pillowballs are bottomed out when you air out, they lose their functionality. If you aren't hitting anywhere else at the point that the pillowballs are stopped, then the entire weight of the rear half of the car is resting on the shaft sideways...not an ideal direction to receive force on a strut shaft.

When you go that low, the angle of the rear strut is insane on the MINI. This is why you see people chiming in on your IG with coilovers that snapped from trying to be all scene-static-low too. If you want to go that low, you get into the realm where you need to begin adjusting geometries and not simply bolting struts on.

Second gens have bumpstops that stop the car before the pillowballs max out (you can see the bumpstop in the picture above^). This is one solution. Obviously this will stop you from going as low as you were before.....but it will also limit the strut angle which is what you need.

Additionally, you can look into custom top-hats. If your entire range of suspension travel has been lowered, you could look into the "angle" of the top hat and possibly change that. High angle pillowballs will help a bit as long as the car rests on something else like the control arm or tire when aired out.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
I posted this on IG for you, but it's easier to type here...

If your pillowballs are bottomed out when you air out, they lose their functionality. If you aren't hitting anywhere else at the point that the pillowballs are stopped, then the entire weight of the rear half of the car is resting on the shaft sideways...not an ideal direction to receive force on a strut shaft.

When you go that low, the angle of the rear strut is insane on the MINI. This is why you see people chiming in on your IG with coilovers that snapped from trying to be all scene-static-low too. If you want to go that low, you get into the realm where you need to begin adjusting geometries and not simply bolting struts on.

Second gens have bumpstops that stop the car before the pillowballs max out (you can see the bumpstop in the picture above^). This is one solution. Obviously this will stop you from going as low as you were before.....but it will also limit the strut angle which is what you need.

Additionally, you can look into custom top-hats. If your entire range of suspension travel has been lowered, you could look into the "angle" of the top hat and possibly change that. High angle pillowballs will help a bit as long as the car rests on something else like the control arm or tire when aired out.
That's a good point. I didn't think about maybe figuring out a way to angle the top hat to keep it from having too much side load on it. I think I may try that and see where the pillow ball sits when fully compressed. But also, to do that, I would have to find out some way to get the bolts to thread properly with the top hat being angled differently.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 PM
μ

Quote:
That's a good point. I didn't think about maybe figuring out a way to angle the top hat to keep it from having too much side load on it. I think I may try that and see where the pillow ball sits when fully compressed. But also, to do that, I would have to find out some way to get the bolts to thread properly with the top hat being angled differently.
If you're machining your own tophats, you can angle the holes and either use angled washers or machine a "step" into the top hat so the bolt can still tighten into the body straight.

Now please please please keep in mind that because this is not my car and not my project, I'm simply tossing out ideas to a friend to start some brain storming. I have not done any research on the suggestions I've made beyond initial search. If you decide to go this route, please consult with engineering friends and friends familiar with suspension geometry when you go to design the parts. That's what I did with all of my custom tophat work...I put it under the scrutiny of my engineering friends to make sure it could take the load and force that a suspension sees....especially when slammed. The suspension is an incredibly important part to your safety, so be sure everything is overbuilt and up to the job.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Rally do they make aftermarket pillow ball top hats for the rear? I don't want to put too much stress on my rear Coilovers since mine require reusing the oem ones and I want to tuck tire in 17s. Sorry for thread jack Nathan.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
If you're machining your own tophats, you can angle the holes and either use angled washers or machine a "step" into the top hat so the bolt can still tighten into the body straight.

Now please please please keep in mind that because this is not my car and not my project, I'm simply tossing out ideas to a friend to start some brain storming. I have not done any research on the suggestions I've made beyond initial search. If you decide to go this route, please consult with engineering friends and friends familiar with suspension geometry when you go to design the parts. That's what I did with all of my custom tophat work...I put it under the scrutiny of my engineering friends to make sure it could take the load and force that a suspension sees....especially when slammed. The suspension is an incredibly important part to your safety, so be sure everything is overbuilt and up to the job.
Alright will do. I really appreciate the suggestions. Do you have any idea where I could find these high angle pillow ball mounts? I have pretty much reached the end of the internet trying to find some and I have yet to find any.

Also, I talked to the guys at Bag Riders and they said that I am the first one with the spacers installed that has had this problem so far so they are guessing that the previous owner of the struts had driven on them without the spacers just enough to put quite a bit of stress on them, and that as soon as I put my 16's on, that stress that the previous owner had on them started affecting them more and so they finally gave in. They swear up and down that the little spacer that goes between the top of the bag plate and the top hat has solved the problem it is just because mine had previous stress on them.. They said they would rebuild both rear struts for free so that's sorted out but I also have the option of swapping over to the AirREX rear struts.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good news is I am sending off both of my rear struts to Bag Riders to be rebuilt to ensure that they are structurally secure when I put them back on. Then I guess I am going to give those struts another shot and see if I can get the car on a lift and check out how the suspension looks when I air out to see if the pillow balls are maxing out or not and to see what else could be causing the struts to snap.

Other than that though, when my tax refund comes in, I am ordering an oil pan gasket, some euro front bumper trim pieces to get rid of the reflectors, a new factory shift knob, hopefully a pulley reduction , I am really trying to find some facelift headlights, and I am debating picking up some GP rear bumper trim or not. Depends on how much I have left over after the other stuff. So we'll see.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

i dont think ive meet a car guy who doesnt use his tax returns for car parts
Old 02-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini vini View Post
i dont think ive meet a car guy who doesnt use his tax returns for car parts
Now that I think about it, me either.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:33 PM
μ

Quote:
Alright will do. I really appreciate the suggestions. Do you have any idea where I could find these high angle pillow ball mounts? I have pretty much reached the end of the internet trying to find some and I have yet to find any.
Well I don't think you'll find actual mounts. What you're looking for is high misalignment spherical bearings....and then you'd machine your own carriers for them like the mounts you have.

With that said, if I understand the spacer correctly (I havent seen pics of it installed), the bagriders solution SHOULD work if the car is resting on that piece.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Well I don't think you'll find actual mounts. What you're looking for is high misalignment spherical bearings....and then you'd machine your own carriers for them like the mounts you have.

With that said, if I understand the spacer correctly (I havent seen pics of it installed), the bagriders solution SHOULD work if the car is resting on that piece.
I will post some better pictures on here but basically the spacer goes on top of the metal plate that the bag is actually attached to, and it sits between the top hat and the metal plate the bag is attached to to keep the metal plate of the bag from hitting the edge of the top hat. I am going to install the struts as soon as possible once they come in so I will get some pictures of them when I get them back in.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I can't believe I never posted these here. This was the damage when I pulled the struts off.

This was how close the top plate of the bag was to the top hat. So i'm not sure if they actually came in contact at all with the car on the ground.
Click the image to open in full size.
Untitled by NathanWaddey, on Flickr

Seems to me like the pillow balls are maxed out because of the nuts on top hitting the top hat.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well I got the struts shipped out to be rebuilt but Rali at Bag Riders says it's going to be at least a week for them to even start rebuilding the struts because they have to wait on parts to come in for the struts. I'll try and post some detailed pictures of the struts and the angle they're at when I get them installed.

Also, I am going to try and get some professional pictures of the car that I can put on here.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I ordered some of the european front bumper trim pieces without the reflectors and a chrome tachometer ring today. I am hoping the new rear struts should be here by friday so I should be able to get that all put on friday afternoon and when I get done, I will try and get some more pictures of the car since I haven't posted many.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

How much were the fender trim and where did you get them from? the place i found them had them for about 20 a corner
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Where'd you find the Euro trim? I need to order a front passenger side piece, and no dealers will source one for me. I've poked around on realoem.com, so I have the part number- just can't find anyone to order it.

Thanks guys,

TF