motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Introductions New readers, introduce yourselves here!

Go Back   motoring|underground > Welcome > Introductions

Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default The $1,500 Cooper

Yep, that's what I paid for my 120k clean, one owner, late 2002 MINI Cooper with sport package, pano roof. Reason for price was that the Midlands trans took a dump. I've had it since the end of Dec, 2010. The weekend after purchase, I pulled the drivetrain, found two holes in the trans case, and decided to do the Getrag 6 speed conversion. So I've got about triple my original price invested. But that includes the car, an extra set of wheels with snows, chrome line interior, and all the new (or low mileage used) parts that are needed for the conversion. Yeah, I had to get my hands dirty, but it beats spending the same $4,500 (or likely more) for some worn out question mark of a car that would keep me busy anyhow. It's my main transportation, and I've got about 13,000 miles on it since completing the conversion.

So here I am. It took me a while to find Motoring Underground. But I suppose if it was the most obvious spot, it wouldn't really be "underground." I've spent some time on that other forum. I've received a lot of help there, and try to reciprocate when I can. But I never really felt like I fit in there. Anyway, it's in the past, but anyone who is curious about how I came to want a MINI, and the process of my trans swap can look at my intro thread there: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ner-in-ct.html

Anyway, I'm at work, so here is one of the very few photos I have of my car on this PC. This was taken a few weeks ago, after I installed the stripes and rally lamps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone 097.jpg (97.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
µ Leadership

that is awesome man. i has been looking for a deal like that so i can build up a cooper.

welcome welcome
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for the welcome. And also thanks for affirming that the car was a good deal. I lost sight of that for a while, because I thought I would have a mint car for $3k, and that didn't happen. I'm still working out some bugs due to the mileage. But in reality, the TDI I replaced with this sold for $5k (had a LOT more miles), so it's not like it's even money out of pocket. Yes, this eats gas by comparison, and will never be as reliable. But fact of the matter is that I look forward to my 60 mile commute (round trip) now. I used to dread it. You can't put a price on that.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
μ

You got a good deal. Had I had the money to do this, I'd still have my cooper. Welcome to mu, I envy you...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Banned

Nice find! Welcome to MU you will love it here!

Get ready for some Modding!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Paul - I happened to come across your Vespa thread yesterday. Very cool. I'm into scoots myself, but only have a plastic one at the moment. I'm waiting for that right deal to come along.

Nitro - I'm already feeling MU is a better fit for me. As far as mods, I do have one in the works. I'll drop a hint: 522
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
μ

Honestly people get 3k or so for a clean shell so you got a smokin deal!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Paul View Post
You got a good deal. Had I had the money to do this, I'd still have my cooper.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrominis
Get ready for some Modding!
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
As far as mods...
This-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Paul View Post
I envy you...
subscribed..
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Honestly people get 3k or so for a clean shell so you got a smokin deal!
I paid the full asking price. I wasn't even specifically looking for a MINI, although I'd driven two, and it was on my short list. The day I bought it, I had an appointment to look at a specific Audi TT. I had been searching for one for months (and wanting for years). So the night before viewing what I thought was going to be my next car, I was scanning the classifieds to see if anything else came on the market. I normally searched specifically for TTs, but this time for some reason, I had a general used car by owner search with no filter. I looked through more for curiosity (and entertainment). I came across the ad for the Cooper, which was BRG/W, my favorite combo. I'm no stranger to working on cars, so for $1,500, I had to see it. It was past midnight, so I messaged the guy through CL (I don't think he had a phone number listed). I thought it was a longshot, since the ad had been up since 5pm. Anyway, on my way to meet a friend for coffee the next morning (I had taken the day off to see the TT), the MINI owner calls me. I'm the 7th in line, but being a weekday, I was the second who was able to come out and see the car, so we scheduled an appt to meet at the shop where the car was sitting. He told me the first buyer tried to talk him down, and he sent the guy packing. I happened to have the full asking price on me, since I withdrew to buy the other car, and I wasn't planning on talking him down anyhow. I started it up, looked it over, and minutes later, the title was signed over to me. I think he set the asking price at $1,500 since this was the difference between what he thought the value of the car running and driving was, minus what the shop quoted to repair. Moral of the story is that by dumb luck I was in the right place at the right time.

Epilogue - I went to see the TT anyway. I had set the appointment, and like to keep my word. Plus it is a dream car of mine, and I figured if the TT was good enough, I could repair the MINI, sell it, and pocket some profit. Well this Audi that looked phenomenal in photos (and drove great, as well) had been repainted at one point. So despite the clean Carfax, I passed. I haven't looked for one since.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin440 View Post

This-v
Was that supposed to be a Ctrl+v?

Anyway, 440 knows what I'm talking about for my next mod. Anyone else care to venture a guess? Reminder, there is a clue in post #6.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

R50 JCW head.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip's View Post
R50 JCW head.
Winner!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbomber View Post
Was that supposed to be a Ctrl+v?
Trying to point to the envy quote

There's so much story here. I think this is going to be a good thread.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Oh yeah, that make sense (duh). For some reason I thought that was a response to the quote of mine "as far as mods..." Maybe pasting a thread, or something...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

welcome, i'll be watching closely as i over spent buying my base cooper