motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
I donno that you'll be able to run 205/45-17 on 17x7.5 ET35, but it's possible. I tried running 205/45-17 on 17x7 ET37, and they rubbed.
so what do you think I'd have to do? run a set of 5mm spacers or something like that?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalwe View Post
so what do you think I'd have to do? run a set of 5mm spacers or something like that?
spacers usually causes more rubbing unless the rubbing was on the strut.

5mm spacers would make your wheels et30
Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 AM
µ Leadership

Yeah, i had some rubbing issues when i first got my 215/45/17. But the tires fixed it themselves, by rubbing the plastic right of. haha I dont know if id call it a fix, but you get the picture. At the time i was lowered with H&Rs.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by onasled View Post
I know I'm late on this but do beware of lowering springs. They will eventually distroy your factory struts. If you plan on "slaming" your car then the struts will go bad even faster. I read here that someone lowered on factory struts and now three years later it's a bit rough..? I will bet for sure that his struts are completly shot.
And what would you recommend for someone on a budget? And/or someone with heavy street duty.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Koni or Bilstein shocks + springs
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Curvz View Post
And what would you recommend for someone on a budget? And/or someone with heavy street duty.
It's a hard call. I know so many want the look of a lowered Mini, I did. But lowering this car with just springs is only good for looks. If you want to add springs just for the look of lower, then you have two options, maybe three. One is to get a coilover system, yes, about $1500 for the M7. Two would be to buy a cheep set of these used Megans that you will find many are dumping. You should be able to get a used set for dirt cheep, maybe a few $100, but their performance is just plan poor. Third is to just get lowering springs, but as I stated, you can shorten the life of your struts by lots. Some may only get another 10K miles out of factory struts when lowered.
If it handling you are after and not the look then just don't lower with springs. Lowering changes roll centers, which in a Mini is not huge, but it's out of optimal.
Just some thoughts...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 AM
μ

Excuse me, have you driven or rode in a car with the Megans? Do you have personal experience with those coilovers to make such a claim?...

And why get the M7 coilover system (which is untested by the masses but seem like a good setup) when you can get KW V2's for about $1400, V1's for $1,100, H&R club sports for $1,400 H&R street coilovers for $1,200, Koni's for about $1,000, Tein Superstreets for $1,200 or Tein Basic's for as $900? All very reputable companies who have been making suspension systems for years.

Just giving him other options so he doesn't just buy into hype...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez View Post
Excuse me, have you driven or rode in a car with the Megans? Do you have personal experience with those coilovers to make such a claim?...

And why get the M7 coilover system (which is untested by the masses but seem like a good setup) when you can get KW V2's for about $1400, V1's for $1,100, H&R club sports for $1,400 H&R street coilovers for $1,200, Koni's for about $1,000, Tein Superstreets for $1,200 or Tein Basic's for as $900? All very reputable companies who have been making suspension systems for years.

Just giving him other options so he doesn't just buy into hype...
if i was sponsored by m7 id post about em too

back on topic:
as ray said... there are many options out there for coilover setups on a MINI. which ones are the best? that's based on different peoples experiences and opinions. i think no matter what coilover you go with you'll be happier than with just springs and stock struts.

just remember one thing my homie flava flav once said, DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You guys are certainly on an agenda here...
I not once said that the M7 was the best choice. It was an example of an affordable coilover. If you feel the others are better then thats fine. I like what I 'hear' about the M7s at this point. Spring rates are well thought out for street use. Not sure the Tiens heavyweights, yes they are a very heavy shock, with 500lbs rates all around is a great choice for someone who stated he drives on tough streets. I prefer a shock that can be tuned without removing it, which needs to be done with the KWs. I'm not sure that the H&Rs nor Konis are even tunable. ... are they?
I have not hyped anything here. If because I am lucky enough to have M7 as a sponsor then I don't think this is reason to misinterpret my post. I felt I was offering information on this topic that had not been discussed. If my input is not needed then no problem, I will keep it posted where it is appreciated.

Also, yes, I have been working closely with someone who was unfortunate enough to buy these Megans. I have many years experience with race cars and am able to tell what is crap and what is not. I looked at these pieces of junk and told him he was in for trouble. As most know, and the ones that know enough to admit it, the Megans are a disaster.
Of course IMHO. No hype.

Last edited by onasled; 01-30-2007 at 03:13 AM..
Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 AM
µ Leadership

I think using the stock struts with lowering springs is a good budget way to go, especially if you cut down the bump stops to retain your wheel travel. You may as well wear out the stock struts before you replace them anyway. Then you've got time to save for new struts or coilovers.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
I think using the stock struts with lowering springs is a good budget way to go, especially if you cut down the bump stops to retain your wheel travel. You may as well wear out the stock struts before you replace them anyway. Then you've got time to save for new struts or coilovers.
It's certainly the route most people have gone. I did it at one point. Fact is that there a a lot of people out there that don't even realize that their struts are shot, which means that it's not always that evident. I just wanted to make mention of the problem as no one had yet, I don't think.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

Quote:
I not once said that the M7 was the best choice. It was an example of an affordable coilover. If you feel the others are better then thats fine. I like what I 'hear' about the M7s at this point. Spring rates are well thought out for street use. Not sure the Tiens heavyweights, yes they are a very heavy shock, with 500lbs rates all around is a great choice for someone who stated he drives on tough streets. I prefer a shock that can be tuned without removing it, which needs to be done with the KWs. I'm not sure that the H&Rs nor Konis are even tunable. ... are they?
I have not hyped anything here. If because I am lucky enough to have M7 as a sponsor then I don't think this is reason to misinterpret my post. I felt I was offering information on this topic that had not been discussed. If my input is not needed then no problem, I will keep it posted where it is appreciated.

Also, yes, I have been working closely with someone who was unfortunate enough to buy these Megans. I have many years experience with race cars and am able to tell what is crap and what is not. I looked at these pieces of junk and told him he was in for trouble. As most know, and the ones that know enough to admit it, the Megans are a disaster.
Of course IMHO. No hype.
alright, alright. take it easy mr sled. the smiley with a tongue sticking out means im "razzin ya"
i cant speak for RFI... i think his "thing" is that he's got the megans and is probably one of few that has not had any serious issues with them.

and as far as im concerned, your input is well appreciated. afterall, it is a discussion forum

back on topic:
i agree, springs on stock shocks are great for a lower budget.
but CO's are still more versatile/adjustable. gotta love being able to slam it, track it, daily drive it...
Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 AM
μ

Quote:

Of course IMHO. No hype.
You gave no other examples of the other choices out on the market, which there are many. You say the Megans are a disaster but you tell this guy to get the M7's even tho they haven't even been fully released? We don't even know where the dampers are made! The only real issue is suspension travel with the Megans. A different set off springs up front can solve this. No one has blown a damper yet that I know of. Other then that they're a decent setup for the money. When my Megans finally blow up then yes I'll act like a little whiney snob and admit they're a disaster!

BTW I'm not taking a stab at M7, I know Peter and Randy personally since the beginning...I have my eye on their new coilover setup but before they're released I'm not getting in line with all the NAM fanboys.

Do you have any other parades to go rain on?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez View Post
You gave no other examples of the other choices out on the market, which there are many. You say the Megans are a disaster but you tell this guy to get the M7's even tho they haven't even been fully released? We don't even know where the dampers are made! The only real issue is suspension travel with the Megans. A different set off springs up front can solve this. No one has blown a damper yet that I know of. Other then that they're a decent setup for the money. When my Megans finally blow up then yes I'll act like a little whiney snob and admit they're a disaster!

BTW I'm not taking a stab at M7, I know Peter and Randy personally since the beginning...I have my eye on their new coilover setup but before they're released I'm not getting in line with all the NAM fanboys.

Do you have any other parades to go rain on?
OK, fair enough. If you feel people should go out and buy the Megans then that's the product you stand behind and feel others should feel good about investing in. I respect the fact that it's how you feel. I've made my own views known so no reason to further get into that.

I would hardly call the people who feel that they got a bad deal with these coilovers and are willing to admit it "whiny snobs".

I am not a M7 "NAM fanboy". If you can dig up any post I have ever made promoting any M7 product on NAM, or here, or any forum, then you might come up with less than three, including my earlier post here. So, please don't try and taint my validity here on this forum as being a pusher of any one vendor, or someone with an agenda to 'hype'.

As far as raining on parades, I'm sorry you feel that way. It may seem that way with me as I am not one to be 'politically correct'.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

ok then... so seriously... if I use the M7 springs should I cut the bumpstops so don't kill the stock struts quickly?

I still plan on getting coils, but if it comes down to getting coils or getting even better wheels I'll probably lean towards the wheels.