motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 01-15-2014, 01:38 PM
μ

I'm feeling the same as you guys. This thing looks great to me so far.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
μ

Same here as well. I was seriously thinking about the F56, but this has definitely got my attention, especially due to the dearth of wagons in the US that don't cost a butt-ton of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip's View Post
Well Hans.... Looks like we need to work on the aerodynamics at the rear......
Yeah, well you could say that about every MINI since the R50...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Wow I really like that. I love the current Clubbie but there is an aspect of it that feels like a bit of an afterthought in a way. This looks more intentional and integrated in a way. Glad to see that.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
µ Leadership

I'd heard this was coming and could not understand why they'd bring this versus the diesel, but after reading the details I have to admit I like the potential to this. I like the mix of efficiency and performance.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/02/...hybrid-system/

Quote:
Enter The MINI Clubman All-Wheel Drive Plugin Hybrid

At the heart of the new Hybrid Clubman will be the 1.5L three cylinder lifted from the F56 Cooper and powering the front wheels. Integrated into that will be a plug-in hybrid system (likely derived from the BMW i8) powering the rear wheels only. The beauty of that arrangement is the torque (which is abundant in electric motors) won’t overwhelm the front tires and instead will provide additional power in the most effective way – to the rear. Not only will power and torque be better distributed, but it will also allow for better weight distribution across the entire car.

The synchronous electric motor will likely have an electric-only range of around 15-20 miles. Obviously this would be ideal for urban environments.

The system that BMW has previously shown in concept form had an output of “over” 140 kW/190 bhp. Doing the math backwards (and assuming MINI won’t detune the 134 hp Cooper 1.5L engine) we can expect the electric engine will have around 60 hp by itself.

Given these numbers (and adding the extra weight of the system) we’d expect 0-60 times in the low 7s. More importantly BMW has said it expects the system to achieve a fuel consumption of less than 2.5 litres per 100 kilometers (94 mpg, 113 mpg imp), with a CO2 emissions level of less than 60 g/km. Granted those figures will be altered for the US based on the EPA’s own measurement but they will still be similarly astounding in production form.
Quote:
Hybrid Performance

According to BMW’s published report on the concept power plant, the electric engine has been developed in-house at BMW. With a fully charged battery, the electric only range should be over 30 kilometers giving the Clubman Plug-In Hybrid the ability to be in 100% electric mode for the majority of day-to-day trips that don’t involve high speeds. What’s more interesting, BMW has created a boost function that could be thought of as DRS or a “Push to Pass” system. It gives the petrol engine a sudden boost of power for what BMW calls “highly dynamic acceleration maneuvers” – BMW’s words, not ours. With this system the power is made available “spontaneously and without delay”. The best part? The maximum torque of 200 N-m is available from standing.

The hybrid system’s lithium-ion battery can be charged at any 220 volt household power socket. Time for a full charge hasn’t been published yet nor has time to charge from higher voltage sockets.

Regenerative power can be drawn from both axles of the BMW Concept Active Tourer and fed back into the lithium-ion battery so as to enhance the efficiency of the plug-in hybrid. While the electric motor automatically recuperates maximum energy at the rear axle during deceleration, a high-volt generator connected to the combustion engine additionally charges the battery whenever needed. Naturally we expect that same tech to make it to production.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM
μ

Love it! The more I read about the next Clubman the more I like it.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 PM
μ

concept images of the new clubman
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM
µ Leadership

While the MINI is not going to compete with the Porsche 918 by any means, the hybrid systems look to function in a similar way which has me pretty pumped for this car. Check out this Jay Leno's Garage for a look at the 918:

http://jalopnik.com/watch-jay-leno-r...der-1550618076
Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
µ Leadership

Love the front bumper. Great info on the production Clubman...

Quote:
It likely won’t surprise you to know that the MINI Clubman concept that debuted in Geneva is really not a concept at all. But the similarity between the concept and the final production vehicle is perhaps closer than we originally thought.

Take away the 19″ wheels, inset door handles, trick side mirrors and a few other exterior pieces away and you’re looking at the 2016 MINI Clubman. Furthermore inside there’s less that is concept than you might expect.

While the entire car is wider (noticeably so) the nose from the bumper up should be almost a carbon copy of the F56. What we see in the concept’s bumper design is MINI’s first integration of BMW’s air curtain and air breather system. This has dictated a new look at one of the more controversial aspects of the F56′s design.

The side mirrors will be identical to the F56 but the side scuttles will offer some slight variation. relating to that, MINI will move the model name (i.e. Cooper or Cooper S) to the side scuttle area to create a more obvious hierarchy between car and model.

Around back look for the Clubman to feature a large MINI logo as the door handles for the boot. The handle will split when opened creating a trick looking logo that will be hard to miss.

Finally don’t expect to see that dual-pains sunroof on the production version of the Clubman. In its place will be a more standard unit similar to the version see on the F56.

Beyond those change What you see in the exterior of the concept is pretty much what you get in the production version of the 2016 Clubman.
Quote:
The Clubman will debut in production form early next year and should hit dealer lots around summer of 2015. Why so late? MINI first has to release the four door F56 (decidedly shorter and narrower than the Clubman) the convertible and of course the JCW F56.

We’ll have more on the Clubman (including the plug-in hybrid model) in the coming weeks and months.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/03/...bman-revealed/
Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
µ Leadership

Oh shit! This could be the production interior?

Quote:
The Interior

Here’s where things get interesting. As much as the exterior looks like a stretched version of the F56, in reality it’s quite a bit wider as well as longer. That has allowed MINI designers to take a fresh look at the interior add a few features not found in the F56. To start with the dashboard is completely different than the F56 and features four square air vents rather than square and round combination currently used. The middle console houses different HVAC controls and a toggle design that is recessed more than the F56.

There’s also a real center console that allows for heating and cooling vents to fit between the front seats and aim at the rear passengers. And speaking of those passengers, the extra width allows for a true three person bench seat – decidedly wider than the current Countryman.

With the Clubman MINI will also introduce an option all digital instrument package that replaces the analog dials in front of the driver. While it’s unclear what MINI will offer in the way of features, you can imagine that the options are limitless.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
μ

lol, Krista is totally going to be drawn into this car. Another extended maintenance warranty wasted :sigh:

edit: uhhh, all digital gauges?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamez View Post
While the MINI is not going to compete with the Porsche 918 by any means, the hybrid systems look to function in a similar way which has me pretty pumped for this car. Check out this Jay Leno's Garage for a look at the 918:

http://jalopnik.com/watch-jay-leno-r...der-1550618076
And now I'm going through all the Jay's Garage videos on youtube...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM
µ Leadership

Video of the concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=viubTqByVcc
Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
lol, Krista is totally going to be drawn into this car. Another extended maintenance warranty wasted :sigh:

edit: uhhh, all digital gauges?
It's not wasted. Use it as a selling point to charge more. How many cars several years old have "no cost" maintenance?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
µ Leadership

Why the hell can't they keep the exaggerated proportions of the design sketches...

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 PM
µ Leadership

I'm ready to order a hybrid AWD one of these today.