motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Paddocks General automotive banter, covering any make and model.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Paddocks

Old 06-24-2015, 04:50 PM
μ

Dimensions are nearly identical to the new Golf/GTI. Sadly, the weight is between 3,100-3,300lbs depending on setup.

GTI:
Length: 168.0"
Width: 70.8"
Height: 56.8"
Wheelbase: 103.6"

Clubman:
Length: 168.3"
Width: 70.9"
Height: 56.7"
Wheelbase: 105.1"
Old 06-24-2015, 04:52 PM
μ

Wow, that's a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 PM
μ

That thing looks fucking sweet. The extra length really helps out the proportions with the longer nose.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

I can see how it will sell amongst regular small families and work as a practical car for people....but what makes it special? What makes it interesting? As an enthusiast, I couldn't be much more underwhelmed. I totally understand how a non-car person would be intrigued by the size and price I suppose. It's overall shape looks like any other sport wagon on the market...just with round headlights and an option to make the roof a different color.

The sideways taillights are an odd approach. It's more like normal cars and so will be less likely to upset your average citizen....but Minis have never had horizontal taillights and even on this design, it looks as if the body was designed to have vertical taillights but then they gave up and just went with standard wagon taillights.

Pass.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
μ

Don't know if it's intentional but the outline of the dashboard looks awfully similar to the wings of a Spitfire.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 PM
μ

I like it because at this point in my life its USABLE. Hauling around two adults and two car seats in an R56 is a pain in the ass. A pain in the knees, more accurately.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashboomstick View Post
I like it because at this point in my life its USABLE. Hauling around two adults and two car seats in an R56 is a pain in the ass. A pain in the knees, more accurately.
Haha that's my point. It's definitely more practical. It's probably a great A-to-B car. It's a lot like the other sport wagons available in the market. It's probably a nice spacious car for hauling kids around. They're watering it down to fit the admittedly larger market...but in doing so have created yet another bland car when viewed from an enthusiast stand point. Boring.

If a practical child-hauler is what someone wanted, why not get a Jetta TDI Wagon or something of the sort? Why would one expect to find it from a company that was known for making small, nimble sports cars? It's just not a role the brand should even be attempting to fill.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:59 PM
μ

I imagine it'll handle fairly similar to the last gen Clubman. The Jetta wagon looks boring as fuck and the reliability of VW keeps me away from them.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:23 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashboomstick View Post
I imagine it'll handle fairly similar to the last gen Clubman. The Jetta wagon looks boring as fuck and the reliability of VW keeps me away from them.
Haha I can't imagine sticking with a MINI if Volkswagen reliability is a concern of yours. MINI's track record with reliability hasn't been all that stellar.

It might handle decently well, but the longer wheelbase and additional weight most likely mean that it will handle along the same lines as its other competitors.

And of course, looks are somewhat subjective...but that clubman looks pretty darn boring.

The Jetta wagon is also a "generic wagon profile" but it at least comes with the updated front end which is arguably the golf's best front end since the Mk4.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM
μ

Rally, I don't disagree with you about the watered down aspect of it, but to me it's the first thing they've made that still felt like it was part of the original lineage of Mini while offering the space, function, and size needed to keep it as the primary/only car or daily driver.

Again, I go back to the GTI comparison. The GTI is a brilliant car with good styling, nice use of space, great handling, power, luxury features, etc. This is essentially the MINI equivalent of that car. Now that they're exactly the same size, with similar power output, space, and so on they have made the quirky, MINI styled option for someone transitioning away from the brand who needs what the MINI can't offer.

I never really understood the Countryman for that reason. It isn't really what MINI is about, but because it was still MINI-like in lots of ways and it has more space and versatility it has sold very well.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 PM
μ

I can certainly see how some (MINI) people will really like this. I understand MINI needing to expand/survive.
But I didn't like the Countryman, and this thing I don't get either. A new Clubman, bigger yet than the Countryman? It's like directionally incorrect. It ain't pretty either.
Easy for me to say from behind a keyboard, and me not shopping for a car like it, but, pass.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 AM
μ

I've cross shopped the golf sportwagen and for my money the VW is nowhere near the quality of the new generation MINIs. I think the Clubman will blow it away. Especially the radio/nav system, my god is that thing ancient. I guess it'll come down to price.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 AM
μ

I can't imagine this sucker is gonna be cheap, especially after a few options are added on...
Old 06-25-2015, 02:16 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Rally, I don't disagree with you about the watered down aspect of it, but to me it's the first thing they've made that still felt like it was part of the original lineage of Mini
In what ways? I'm just curious.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 AM
μ

I think it's ugly and I'm disappointed because we were considering it for our next car. But I'd never wish a modern vw on my worst enemy. This mk6 gti is the biggest POS I've ever owned.

Tit + Bec = '09 AB JCW // '90 964 C2 // '15 R60 CCS // Australia