motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag

Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quite the race this year.

AMR barely starting. McNish wrecking his R18 in the 1st hour, 2nd Audi down early in the night and a win for the last Audi with less than 15sec lead!

I'm glad they won though.

Didn't really follow the GTE's but that AF Ferrari lost some power/engine troubles close to the end and the following Corvette was able to get passed them.
BMW started of good but I believe they had some troubles through the night?

I should be studying for some exams but LM has kept me from it Gotto attend it once..
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 PM
μ

Just got home from Diaz' place. I must say that this was one of the best LM24's in recent memory. It was like the drivers of the #2 Audi R18 and the #73 C6.R were fighting on to avenge their fallen brethren. It was nothing short of AWESOME.

Watching this race for about 13 hours straight on my end and all 24 on Ivan's end is no easy task. At the Audi's last pit stop when they took on tires and exited the pits a mere 6 or so seconds ahead of the #9 Peugeot any fatigue we had disappeared.

It was almost heart-stopping to watch the Audi continue to drive at speed. When the Audi finally crossed the finish line there was the usual sense of accomplishment and a huge wave of emotion as the Audi thought least likely to have a chance at a win overcame team turmoil to hold of the charging triplet of Peugeot's. Magnificent!

The same can be said of Corvette Racing. Mistakes plagued this team as well when the #74 went out early Sunday morning. All drivers of the #73 sister car knew what they had to do. Seeing that team push harder than I've ever seen a Corvette push was nothing short of epic.

The podium was filled with history making wins. Audi with the overall win in the cars' debut performance at Le Mans, the amazing charge by Corvette, the historic finish in GT Pro for the Ford GT. Last but not least, a second place finish in P2 for a team consisting of three well rounded drivers one of them who 3 years ago won GT Academy.....

Amazing.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tit View Post
Now imagine driving or changing a wheel feeling like that!...
They get to take naps! I was awake for over 25 hours with no breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBem007 View Post
Quite the race this year.

AMR barely starting. McNish wrecking his R18 in the 1st hour, 2nd Audi down early in the night and a win for the last Audi with less than 15sec lead!

I'm glad they won though.
Yeahman, it was really an incredible race. To have the Peugeots and Audis within 30 seconds of each other at the start of the last hour was seriously impressive. Good job to the ACO for writing a solid rulebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBem007 View Post
Didn't really follow the GTE's but that AF Ferrari lost some power/engine troubles close to the end and the following Corvette was able to get passed them.
BMW started of good but I believe they had some troubles through the night?

I should be studying for some exams but LM has kept me from it Gotto attend it once..
Not completely sure what was going on with the AF Corse. I was pretty delirious by that point, but as far as I saw, it was just raw speed on the part of Tommy Milner in the Corvette. At one point, he was turning laps a full six seconds faster than the Ferrari. I think it came down to driver skill when the drizzle started falling, and Milner really shined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Paul View Post
Just got home from Diaz' place. I must say that this was one of the best LM24's in recent memory. It was like the drivers of the #2 Audi R18 and the #73 C6.R were fighting on to avenge their fallen brethren. It was nothing short of AWESOME.

Watching this race for about 13 hours straight on my end and all 24 on Ivan's end is no easy task. At the Audi's last pit stop when they took on tires and exited the pits a mere 6 or so seconds ahead of the #9 Peugeot any fatigue we had disappeared.

It was almost heart-stopping to watch the Audi continue to drive at speed. When the Audi finally crossed the finish line there was the usual sense of accomplishment and a huge wave of emotion as the Audi thought least likely to have a chance at a win overcame team turmoil to hold of the charging triplet of Peugeot's. Magnificent!

The same can be said of Corvette Racing. Mistakes plagued this team as well when the #74 went out early Sunday morning. All drivers of the #73 sister car knew what they had to do. Seeing that team push harder than I've ever seen a Corvette push was nothing short of epic.

The podium was filled with history making wins. Audi with the overall win in the cars' debut performance at Le Mans, the amazing charge by Corvette, the historic finish in GT Pro for the Ford GT. Last but not least, a second place finish in P2 for a team consisting of three well rounded drivers one of them who 3 years ago won GT Academy.....

Amazing.
Good write-up, man. I concur on all counts. I can't imagine what it felt like to go from sitting on his couch playing Gran Turismo like the rest of us, to standing on the podium at Le Mans holding up a trophy a few years later.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM
μ

Watching the race in replay the last 2 days. 3.5 hours of race time left to go for me. The battle between teh audi and peugeots with about 6.5 left to go was absolutely fantastic. Benoit for the win.

While the race this year is probably the best I've seen in recent memory... i have to say that the disparity in driver skill is about as wide as i've ever seen at LM24. I'm seeing some of the best team driving I've ever seen with my own two eyes (benoit, andre, dumas - millner, garcia, beretta) and also some of the worst coming from gte-am. The melding of these two classes has changed the dynamic a bit and has caused some spectacular wrecks and passing moves.

All in all while the racing is good, I can't help but to think we are just lucky that everyone made it through this race alive.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

But wait - there's more:

Practice on GT5, get some love from Sony, and finish second in class. Seriously? Yep.

Dream. Come. True.

Click the image to open in full size.

A little more info.

Last edited by werD; 06-14-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
μ

McNish FAIL.

Like the tire chasing the photog (in the full video). Talk about a terrifying moment, first the general wreck and then the tire coming after you.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
All in all while the racing is good, I can't help but to think we are just lucky that everyone made it through this race alive.
The accidents were pretty intense for Audi this year, but if you look at the results of last year, about the same percentage of cars finished the race. Accidents are just part of the game when you get so many different cars on the track at the same time, and add huge amounts of fatigue. These drivers need to make sure they get their naps in.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM
μ

Lexus LFA GT on the way to play at Le Mans, via AutoWeek.

Imagine the LFA in full battle trim - might be an interesting piece...