motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 04-07-2007, 12:18 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

I've heard some people complain about the H&Rs.. anyone know what that is about?
After days of research, I was about the pull the trigger on KW V1s.. I really don't need shock adjustments.. but I saw the ad for PSS9s and had to get them.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Thread back from the dead!!! Looking for a coilover that goes low and rides smooth. I know those two descriptions generally don't go together but I'm sure a select few will understand what I'm saying and what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

There really aren't many options that do both. KWs and VMaxx are the two that go really low, but their valving and spring rates aren't ideal for low driving so you won't get the smoothness that you desire.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

heres a question that i have been having a hard time understanding from all the threads ive read... at what point or how low does the ride quality go down for lack of better words... im pretty set on getting the KW v1's when i get the extra cash, i want to spin them down, would this be bad if i still want to take corners tight?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
μ

Too many variables to give you a solid answer. Spring rates, travel, roll center adjustments, camber specs, etc all play a part in it. KWs are rather soft so they're more of a daily setup than a track setup.

Low cars can handle amazingly well if you deal with the suspension geometry changes and strut requirements. Just look at old BTCC cars and such. The reason slammed cars get a bad rap is because people just buy coilovers, spin them down, and then leave it as is. If you make adjustments to spring rates, valving, arm angles, etc you can get a MINI low and have it handle amazingly well....it just takes more work than throwing on off-the-shelf coilovers and dropping the perches.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Ok, well coming from the mk3 Volkswagen land where I had B&G's, I could make the actual strut body shorter with out adjusting spring compression or strut travel. I guess thats what I'm looking for in a coil over for my Mini? KSport looks like it offers that option as was as CXRacing... CXRacing has grown to be pretty big in the Volkswagen scene. Any other ideas?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
μ

A bunch offer that option, but none of them are smart enough to make them as short as B&G do, so they don't go as low as kws or vmaxxs.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

And this is why I was hoping you were the one to answer my questions. Aha!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM
μ

KSports will go decently low but I have no idea how they ride. I dont think they go KW low, though.

Cross is (was?) the highest quality strut designed with that threaded body but they didn't go all that low either.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Also, being that the mini's have such little travel in the front to begin with the shocks have to be really short to go low. I went through the paces with BC Racing last year on this topic because their shock bodies are universal across platforms, so I could use shock bodies from another application, but the ones I have are already the smallest they make. On other cars the BCs go very low, but on the the Mini they only go kinda low.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Too many variables to give you a solid answer. Spring rates, travel, roll center adjustments, camber specs, etc all play a part in it. KWs are rather soft so they're more of a daily setup than a track setup.

Low cars can handle amazingly well if you deal with the suspension geometry changes and strut requirements. Just look at old BTCC cars and such. The reason slammed cars get a bad rap is because people just buy coilovers, spin them down, and then leave it as is. If you make adjustments to spring rates, valving, arm angles, etc you can get a MINI low and have it handle amazingly well....it just takes more work than throwing on off-the-shelf coilovers and dropping the perches.
this gave me a lot of things to google... haha thanks!