motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge
View Poll Results: MAC or PC ? Which do you prefer to use on a daily basis ?
Macintosh 40 60.61%
PC 24 36.36%
Linux 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTinRoof View Post
Without getting into specifics we'll just disagree then. "Studios" is quite a general term I realize and covers too broad a range of media.
Gotcha. We use the Macs primarily for print/large format and web design along with a little video. iMacs with RAM upgrades get the job done very well. I imagine if we did a ton of video and motion graphics that it could be a different story.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
I can tell you one thing, I'll never again purchase a non-mac laptop. I just can't go back to using a regular trackpad. It seems so ancient.

I just built a PC desktop, so I guess that answers my preference on those.
This is one sentiment I definitely agree with. I love my ASUS laptop, but the trackpad is definitely lacking. PC hardware companies need to spend more money on trackpads and screens to better compete with Mac.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i run a PC desktop running 7 64bit. death before mac.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM
μ

honestly, you pay to play. That's Mac OR PC. I sell computers and crap all day.

People make the comparison of "PC is so outdated" and "My PC crashes all the time" to me at work constantly. And an uneducated consumer will buy into this all day long. They will likely walk away with a Dell or Acer laptop and then say "my old computer sucked because it was a PC. I'm moving to Mac. And I will laugh and let them do what they want.

I will sell a Mac to a customer that doesn't want to mess with anything. They want to plug it in, type on it, browse the internet, and use the productivity stuff that comes on it. And they will love it.

The customer that comes in and buys the middle of the road PC SHOULD expect it to have issues. And if you pay $300 for a laptop, you should expect it to take a shit more than you do.

If you buy a mac for $1500, you damn well better get some good hardware. And surprise... you will. But NO ONE is willing to pay $1500 for a PC. WHY?! I can build you a home media PC for $700 that will blow away anything you have ever used. And if you are less than half retarded, it will last you 5-7 years with no issues. But you say $800 for a PC Laptop with the same or more capabilities than the comparable mac, and people think I have just asked them to give me a free blowie.

I am Apple certified, I have spent a retarded amount of hours training with Apple professionals and getting my certificates. I really like Apple's fit and finish. It is 100% top notch. But it is not the most capable for the price.

Long story short, I bought my wife a MacBook Pro because she wanted everything to work quickly, have her productivity stuff (word, photo editing, etc) and she didn't want to have to set anything up. But she doesn't want to customize anything either. Plug and play.

I bought a Sony Vaio with an i7 and a solid state hard drive. It cost less than her Mac and honestly runs circles around her 13in. Pro.

I'm probably the least biased person on here with all of my certificates and stupid things from apple. Buy what you want, but BE INFORMED. Don't listen to what some kid at radioshack said and don't believe all the hype of anything. Mac or otherwise.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

having built most of my comps Im pretty bias.. but I did get a mac as a grad present and I like it too.

my pc does things that my mac dreams about lol...... but I do seem to use the mac more.

omgzz
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have to use programs like solidworks, Mastercam, MathCAD, etc. things that don't support Mac OS's or the unexpandable hardware.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

I work with and service both.

I use my personal MacBook Pro every day. It never fails. Photoshop, video, writing, whatev. It is my go to machine and I doubt I will ever go back to a Windows based machine for this role. The Apple hardware is consistent, typically better quality, and the OS itself is very bullet proof.

I also have a pretty nice Windows 7 box I built myself to allow a variety of crazy 'ish to happen (a lot of VM work for testing OS environments, gaming, etc). Four 2.5" HD in it, 16G ram, AMD 620 CPU, AMD 4850 video, blah blah. It rarely fails and runs really well.

I tend to look at computers like cameras: there's a right tool for the job, use the one that works for you. There will always be those willing to argue the merits of either. While they are turning blue defending/upholding the one they are passionate for, I move around them and actually use the right tool for the job for me... And get it done.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by werD View Post
There will always be those willing to argue the merits of either. While they are turning blue defending/upholding the one they are passionate for, I move around them and actually use the right tool for the job for me... And get it done.
This is my daily mentality. But some people will never understand it and will try to force you to like their view. haha. Just get what you want and quit trying to justify it to everyone else.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:06 PM
μ

I can speak to the high-end PC vs. Mac argument too. One company I worked for had a custom-built rack mounted PC built for me. It was super fast. I later built a high-end PC using top notch hardware. The only hardware issues I had with it were the Sony hard drives that kept dying. At the IT company I started I purchased a very expensive Alienware Windows PC. The hardware was solid and still is. All of these PCs were dual processor with RAID arrays and maxed our RAM. The thing that all of these computers had in common was that the OS regularly took a dump. BSODs. Updates that took forever. Restarts multiple times a day. Hours and hours configuring things. That annoying "BONK!" sound that means "you can't do that" that always goes off. I can run my iMac for a couple weeks before I notice any little slow down that makes me want to restart.

I'm sorry I'm bitter. I'm also a web designer, so Microsoft has extra strikes against it because of Internet Explorer. I've been using Macs since 2005 and the only thing I've had to replace is a laptop battery and power cable b/c it got frayed. I was able to buy a refub magsafe cable for cheap. And yes, I stil use that $900 Macbook that I first purchased 7 years ago. Between Apple and Google products I've been able to completely eliminate Microsoft software from my life. At least until my parents call me to work on their PC, then I'm reminded how frustrating PCs can be. BTW, I purchased that machine for them and it is a business class machine made for heavy use and I still hate it.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

Lol@spam
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

I have neither of these cars anymore. 2014 Jetta Hybrid, 2014 Countryman All4 S now.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Gaurd bested your argument there BJ.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
μ

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk

As much as Im a Android fan I love my Mac ... it just works day after day after day. I cant say that about one other single software ran item I have ever owned.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Dell xps studio laptop heavy turd to run Pro Engineer, but macs work flawlessly with the adobe suite. IMO get both
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For the Mac users, if you haven't heard about the trojan going around, more than 500k have been infected, here is how you can check easily:

In terminal run:

defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment

You should get this error:

The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info, LSEnvironment) does not exist

Then run:
defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES

You should get this error:

The domain/default pair of (/Users/YOURUSER/.MacOSX/environment, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES) does not exist

If you do you are clean of this variant!

If this doesn't happen go here to fix it