motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default 16s or 17s and other banter

My months of learning and research here on M|U has kinda gone up in flames - or at least put on the back back back burner. Imagine a bus full of burners - its in the back row Ends up we need to do a bunch of exterior house repair and will be funneling $$$ towards that, not my stance.

However, I have no summer tires, as I tossed them when I put the winters on. I'm still on OEM 16" R84 X-Lites and the front left is pretty banged up - getting vibration at highway speeds.

So I need tires and want to look at inexpensive wheel solutions - preferably black.
All that being said, what can I get away with as far as wheel width and or more offset while keeping stock height? 38? More? Is getting flush with the fender too far for stock height? Any wheel recommendations? I imagine stretch is out the window.
A few mini guys around here have said good things about Nittos.

I have a full size 16" spare on a steelie. In worst case I get a flat, will it still be useable as a spare if I have 17s on the car? I know it will depend on the tire height etc, but if there is an inch or two difference?

As always thanks. And thank you for all of the assistance in my search for stance. I have it all saved away in Evernote.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Go to willtheyfit.com and put in all the info of the tire specs for the spare compared to the 17s. It will give you tall the differences of them. I would say if your just using the spare for a short distance emergency then if would be fine. Just make sure that you put the spare on of the rear.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yep - I'm all clear with the rear thing. Just curious what ramifications a size difference would be as I would think the suspension would help even things out. The smaller spare I expect would get uneven wear during the distance traveled.