motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

My first set of aftermarket wheels where Drag Dr-19s. Gosh they where junk... LOL. Broke a good 6 inches off the inside of a rear wheel, best part is that I had no idea until my car went in for service (complained of a vibration, thought it was just a bend). I was young (still am) and I didn't know better. I completely missed the BBS stamp on my Crown Spokes when I sold them... Frankly I was in such a hurry to have that 'aftermarket tuner look, so people will take me seriously in my MINI.'

Since then I went back to OEMs until I was able to have non-OEM stuff the correct way; quality:

OZ Racing Chrono HTs for the first MINI
OZ Racing Superleggera GTs for my Audi S4
And soon, an authentic set of John Cooper Works wheels for my current MINI

I never had a problem with any of my OZ wheels, and I have never have 'beaten' my cars to the point significant damage should happen to my car's wheels. Yet the only wheel I had a problem with was the one Discount Tire seal of approval. History tells all... And I forsure will NEVER have another junk set of wheels on my car, ever.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^^^ Yeah, why jeopardize your life and or your vehicle investment on 4 risky wheels that will let go at the most inopportune time? They won't look so hot from the hospital bed.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
The whole reps / copys thing if there actually violating copyright why has nobody taken Rota or their vendors to court, I mean theres people being extradited to America for TV link sites, so why no copy right suits against Rota et al from Rays?
They do it all the time. I met with BBS right before they walked around SEMA (a US aftermarket automotive trade show) to hand out legal papers. For example, BBS went after Raderwerks a few years ago for selling BB5 LM wheels with BB5 centercaps. Raderwerks quickly folded and no longer sells that wheel.

The reason Rota doesn't get hit is because they're in the phillipines.....you can't do anything to them legally. Not sure why you can't extradite, but I imagine something like that is insanely expensive.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
They do it all the time. I met with BBS right before they walked around SEMA (a US aftermarket automotive trade show) to hand out legal papers. For example, BBS went after Raderwerks a few years ago for selling BB5 LM wheels with BB5 centercaps. Raderwerks quickly folded and no longer sells that wheel.

The reason Rota doesn't get hit is because they're in the phillipines.....you can't do anything to them legally. Not sure why you can't extradite, but I imagine something like that is insanely expensive.
Makes sense I was just wondering why more handnt been done as such, I mean surely vendors of said wheels could face action? Or is it just to expensive?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Makes sense I was just wondering why more handnt been done as such, I mean surely vendors of said wheels could face action? Or is it just to expensive?
I actually don't know much about the process of penalizing people who distribute counterfeit products rather than manufacture.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via MSN to Haggis Send a message via Skype™ to Haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
I actually don't know much about the process of penalizing people who distribute counterfeit products rather than manufacture.
I know there was a test case in the US courts recently that was to do with text books, a student imported and sold on (his own on ebay when he was done with them) cheap copies of a text book and then when he sold them on he was taken to court by the US publisher and he lost, they were awarded $600k in damages.