motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default KW V1 Thrust Bearing Size

I'm still having some noise (used to it by now) and memory steer (slightly annoying) from my KW V1's, especially after I had the top mounts tightened a little more earlier this year. A common solution to this are apparently thrust bearings, that go between the bottom of the spring and the spring perch:

Click the image to open in full size.

I can't seem to find any suppliers of these in Europe, while they're just $30 or so in the US. I measured the thread on my V1's to be 52mm, but the spring perch is a little wider as it has a lip to keep the spring in place.

I can't measure this lip with the coilovers installed, but would prefer to disassemble them only once. Does anyone know what size thrust bearings I should get for KW V1's? Common sizes seem to be 60mm or 66mm, what sound about right with the inner size being 52mm.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 AM
μ

I just checked the KW V1's that I have laying around in my garage; the lower perches on the fronts have a 61mm inner width where the spring sits, and 82mm outer. So 60mm will not work, on mine that would be too tight.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Just a thought here. Those thrust bearings might not last too long based on the environment they will be exposed to, dirt, and grit will play havoc with the bearings. Maybe a sheet of teflon that you would cut would work better.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks cooldaddy! Also thanks for the input Snip's, I've seen some people just use grease instead of Teflon/bearings. I'll do some more research, though for the cost of those bearings I'd be ok to replace them annually.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

Have memory steer problems with my BC's after 3 year. Just a little WD40 on the spherical bearing every few months fixes it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

To follow up on this:

I ordered a thrust bearing kit, though after removing the strut from the car and opening the package it turned out to be just one bearing and 2 washers. Decided to just install the washer with some grease between the spring and the collar.

However on refitting the top bearing plate, it stopped turning as soon was we tightened it again. Upon closer inspection it turned out that the washer that goes directly underneath the top bearing was fitter under the top plate that holds the spring. Fitted it in the right position and all binding issues are gone now.

Installed the greased washer underneath the spring on the other side as well, just to be sure, but that side also had the top washer installed in the wrong place. All is well now, so I'm a happy camper...