motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez
Default Coilover talk

I didn't get a chance to get the Bilsteins when they were $1500...I'm looking at other options.

1) Tein Super Street's.

Some say they're great others say they're trash. I have Tein S.techs and I think they're awesome. The 500 in/lb spring rate seems far too high for street use. Supposedly Tein does custom spring rates for $50 each spring and custom dampening for more. But that defeats the purpose of getting them cheaper then the Bilsteins! I emailed Tein about custom rates a few times with no response. They run about $1250, even cheaper on ebay.

2) H&R's

Again some say they're awesome and others say they've had problems. I always thought they were good quality since so many euro owners have em. I have no first hand expierence with them. I can't find spring rates anywhere for these. Some have said they were a lil soft for track use. These run about $1200 I think? But are only height adjustable.

3) Megan Racing

The specs on these are very appealing. 32 way adjustable, pillow ball mounts and camber plates! Supposedly you can even raise your car an inch with these as well. The rates are a lil too soft for me in the front at 280 front and 320 rear spring rate. Megan is a new company and not much is known about them. I researched on other car forums and others seem to like them over Teins and even JIC coilovers. I'm just a lil worried about long term reliability of these.

Theres some other coilover systems out there also but I don't know too much about them. If anyone else knows any more info on these or other systems chime in!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
μ

one thing to look out for is how they adjust, if they dont have the adjuster on the bottom you will have to pull the back shocks to make adjustments. To me thats more work than its worth to save a few bux.

I know someone who has 500# springs and it still rides pretty damn good, it all has to do with the valving.

I dont have any direct experience with the items you mentionend but I can definitly give the PSS9's a 2
Old 03-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Retired

remember, the thing with tein is that you have to drop the rear struts everytime you want to make an adjustment. EDFC is basically a must so that's another $300 added on right there.

Click the image to open in full size.
Oh no, my brotha... you gotta get your own.
Phaze One
Old 03-31-2006, 05:19 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlman
one thing to look out for is how they adjust, if they dont have the adjuster on the bottom you will have to pull the back shocks to make adjustments. To me thats more work than its worth to save a few bux.

I know someone who has 500# springs and it still rides pretty damn good, it all has to do with the valving.

I dont have any direct experience with the items you mentionend but I can definitly give the PSS9's a 2

Well megans adjust up top...but they give you the tools to drill a small hole in the trunk/boot so that you can make adjustments with them on the car.

I'm gonna be honest and say that after having Koni's, my coils are gonan be height adjustable anyway. Once i found the right settings, i havent changed them.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM
μ

I don't mind dropping the rears too much...after finding a good setting I'll prob leave it alone.

Detlman what coilovers does the person with the 500 springs have?

Right now I'm leaning towards Tein or Megan...unless Bilstein lowers their prices anytime soon.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
μ

leda.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have the Megans and I really like them. The quality of manucfature is there and I like the way they were designed. As for the hole in the boot for adjusting it makes it very easy to adjust with them on the car. My experience is limited to the Megans, some H&Rs I had for a while and the H-Sport springs on my Cooper.

My Gallery

I'm a baaad man!!

'03 MCS, IB/W, 15% Pulley, 2% crank, OBX Header, Stage 1 Head, Magnaflow, Megan Coilovers, Alta RSB, 380cc Injectors, SAFC 2, VGS, DFIC, H2O/Methanol, DT BBK
Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to BE4TNUT

I have a coilover question. I would like to put some on my car in the near future but I have been told by a couple local Mini owners that the reason the Mini handles like it does is some rubber boots on the struts I believe it was... and when you replace this with a coilover system it just doesnt handle the same anymore. Is this true? What are you guys' experience with them?

Thanks,
BEATNUT
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to nomonstersinme

i thought that was the classic mini..... ?? cause that is true for the classic.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:34 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE4TNUT
I have a coilover question. I would like to put some on my car in the near future but I have been told by a couple local Mini owners that the reason the Mini handles like it does is some rubber boots on the struts I believe it was... and when you replace this with a coilover system it just doesnt handle the same anymore. Is this true? What are you guys' experience with them?

Thanks,
BEATNUT

Yah...you might be thinking the classic. The mini has bushings...but the coilovers use the same type of bushings (or maybe the same but harder...but that would just stiffen things up)
Old 04-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to BE4TNUT

Ok well I am not sure, they were refering to the Mini and they have the new generation Mini's... So I would expect the same handling, just better due to the lower center of gravity from coilovers right?

Thanks,
BEATNUT
Old 04-01-2006, 02:16 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

You can get much better handling with coilovers, but set-up may be a problem for some.

If you are used to the softer settings of stock - then jump to the extreme settings of some coilovers, response will change. I have read how some people set the coilovers at extremely rigid settings - these are not the best for some situations.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:33 AM
μ

Leda's...those are some fancy coilovers. I heard they have to be rebuilt quite often though.

Coilovers will make your Mini handle better then stock no doubt. But it depends what you want to do with it. For street you don't want it set too aggresively. I want something for canyon drives and occasional track use.

ChocolateAZ I saw your Mini at amviv and noticed how low it looked, took a look underneath and saw the Megans. Wanted to look for the owner and ask bout them, thanks for chiming in here.

I read the Megans were being adjusted somehow? Are they ready to purchase yet?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez
I read the Megans were being adjusted somehow? Are they ready to purchase yet?
They needed to make new rear perches that worked better....but thats all complete and now included in the purchase.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE4TNUT

Thanks,
BEATNUT
Hm, I'm not sure what they're referring to. They might be referring to the bushings that are used to connect control arms to the subframes, but those aren't replaced when you replace the stock dampers with coilovers. Coilovers, or even just stiffer springs, will tax those bushings a bit more than stock, but you will still get a net improvement in cornering performance from the lower center of gravity. Another benefit of coilovers is that the dampers are generally of higher quality than the stock dampers, so you'll find better stability and faster cornering over any rough surfaces. My Bilsteins work like a charm in that respect!

Also, if you want to upgrade the bushings, Powerflex makes higher durometer polyurethane bushings and bushing inserts to stiffen them up, which will give you more accurate suspension geometry, resulting in more predictable and stable handling.