motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

as for the looks, its starting to grow on me i guess...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
μ

that front wing is ruining the looks of what I think is the best looking car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMEK View Post

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

Yikes! That Beemer front wing really looks enormous!!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

also the new car has far less ads
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

I think best combination would be the new car's body with the old car's wings. I actually don't mind the tall wing in back, if only it weren't so narrow.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

It looks like they took a set backwards in the evolution of F1 cars. They're starting to grow on me but they just look outdated. :/

But again, I'm a tech buff and think that this level of racing should have a hand in developing future technologies that will make it on the road, no matter how much it costs.

And don't give me a line about KERS, it's been done on the road and this has absolutely nothing to do with it, it's simply to aid in overtaking. Which I think is complete crap. I love seeing cars so closely matched that the drivers have to scrap for laps to get a pass in. I think it's going to suck when a driver can just tool around behind someone then push a button on the straights to pass them. I fear the days of true artists like Alonso or Raikkonen are dying.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Location: in a secret bunker deep underground creating evil mods for my MINI

i am absolutely tired of all teh stupid changes, wings, engine regs, w/e.. Bernie & Mad Max just seem to love to change rules, whether they say its for money limits or the "sport of it" & trying to limit the speed. its getting rediculous, & it needs to stop, those 2 are killing the sport ive loved for nearly all my life. & im hearing Bernie talking about changing the driver point system to medals or some crap like that, i dont care if he helped found F1, he needs to be stopped by any means possible. i think the best time F1 was around b4 a crazy amount of changes was proly like 2001, that was a pretty good year, the cars were uber fast, & they were awesome, mostly cause i love V12, LOL! no matter what bernie wants to do about budgets or whatever, ferrari & McLaren will spend the most, & the teams will always find ways to go just as fast. they talk about safety, i havent seen any fatalities in F1 in the past 8 years if im not mistaken, @ least non in the spotlight, dont know about testing or such as much. so we all know the cars & tracks are safe.. idk... ill step off my soap box for now.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I love seeing cars so closely matched that the drivers have to scrap for laps to get a pass in. I think it's going to suck when a driver can just tool around behind someone then push a button on the straights to pass them. I fear the days of true artists like Alonso or Raikkonen are dying.
The thing with the old wings and diffusers though is that they disrupted the airflow behind them so much that even if the car in behind was actually superior or had a slightly better driver, he couldn't get close enough because he would lose too much downforce.

I think the "true artists" had their heyday in the 70s and 80s. Technology in F1 is actually causing F1 to be a victim of its own success.

JCW CAI, JCW Exhaust, 15% WMW pulley, M7 STB, DPSM Sound, Sport, Anthracite HL, Interior Chrome, Heated Bits, Euro TL, Parcel Shelf, DICE iPod.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine View Post
The thing with the old wings and diffusers though is that they disrupted the airflow behind them so much that even if the car in behind was actually superior or had a slightly better driver, he couldn't get close enough because he would lose too much downforce.
Trust me, I know how it works.

Quote:
I think the "true artists" had their heyday in the 70s and 80s. Technology in F1 is actually causing F1 to be a victim of its own success.
I think your previous statement proved how skillful these guys are now-a-days to be able to get around a guy with significantly less downforce than the guy in front of them. And last season forward all the driver aids are gone, technology just makes the car get to braking zones faster.

Put any of those old-timers in a modern car and I bet they would poo themselves.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Trust me, I know how it works.

Put any of those old-timers in a modern car and I bet they would poo themselves.
I think just the opposite is true. Watch some old footage sometime of Fangio drifting a car with 4 inch wide tires and wire wheels . I think the new crop of drivers are amazing , no doubt , but when you compare their experiences they are much less dramtic than earlier generations . Imagine the drivers of today getting into a car with the truth staring him in the face that 10 to 20 percent of the field may die in the next few hrs . Tell me who would crap themselves first with that in mind ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWrVZs4ysI

Randy
M7 Tuning
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 AM
μ

Oh I agree, as far as looking danger in the face... the new guys are limp-wristed girly-men compared to those guys. I just think saying that they're not as good of drivers as the older generation isn't fair at all, and in my opinion, the other way around.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^ very powerful disturbing video, i was thinking about it the whole day.

anyway, about the new car. I simply forgot what the best sound in the whole world is (i'm a musician remember) the F1.

Damn i love that, and i already love the new car. The moment they change the sound i'm hating it and assassinating the one responsible for change.

BMW Sauber F1.09 - Roll-out in Valencia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MxXsKxgT_s
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Location: in a secret bunker deep underground creating evil mods for my MINI

oh yea, i love that sound. i cant wait for the season opener. LOL!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
μ

rumors of a slow Renault are already out there...

---

Problem with the new Renault?
Alonso plays down lack of pace
28/01/09 10:02

The opening test of Renault's 2009 car did not proceed as planned for the French team, according to Swiss publication Motorsport Aktuell.

Although the Portimao test was badly marred by the weather last week, it is suggested that Renault struggled with the early performance of the new R29.

The aerodynamics of the unique-looking racer is apparently the culprit, and at the end of the only dry day in Portugal last week, Fernando Alonso was easily the slowest of the four new cars.

The Motorsport Aktuell claims are backed up by suggestions last week in the Spanish press, where Alonso was said to have complained bitterly about the car's low-speed handling.

The Spaniard did not make his concerns public, as he told the sports daily Marca: "The main thing is that there were no technical problems; the times are not important."

Marca said Alonso will only turn his attention to performance at the last two tests, beginning at Jerez, prior to the start of the season in Australia.

"Hopefully we can make some good progress with the performance of the car there," the 27-year-old driver said.

E.A, Source: GMM
CAPSIS International

Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Leadership

Poor Alonso.