motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Moxie

Yeah, I literally JUST got an email from a buddy on NAM who switched from TSW's to the V1. He said not to screw with them and take them as they are and I won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the help though, Rally!

PS - I just found out about another meaning for the word "bear." Yikes. I need to ditch some more gap quick.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I am sure you would be fine running with either the V1's or the V2's with the regular springs.
I have posted my info regarding the swapped springs from TSW.
My needs were more due to the fact that I needed the 60mm springs instead of the barrel shaped ones due to my wheel set up.
I am sure if you were to talk to KW they would be able to change up the springs if you really wanted to. I went through TSW for the springs since they were able to get them at cost, I would have paid more if I ordered them directly from KW.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

so given that im not a huge track guy but i go to a few events every year, would it be more beneficial to save $400 and go with the VMaxx's instead of going with the KWv1's?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^^From the folks I've talked to, and from what I've read in reviews, maybe. What I've been hearing is the VMaxx CO's don't improve your handling at all, but they don't really hurt it either. Basically, it'd be about the same as having the stock suspension, but with ride height adjustability.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
μ

Fine by me; only running it a couple times a year on a track makes it hard to justify the >$1000 for the others.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieMini View Post
^^From the folks I've talked to, and from what I've read in reviews, maybe. What I've been hearing is the VMaxx CO's don't improve your handling at all, but they don't really hurt it either. Basically, it'd be about the same as having the stock suspension, but with ride height adjustability.
wow what you just said sold me lol, im perfectly fine with how my car handles right now i really just want to lower it.. cha ching!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yep, they aren't bad at all. In fact, I think they're great if that's what you want. I'm just already spoiled on how the TSW's handle, and I don't want to go back. Otherwise, I'd get the VMaxx in a heartbeat.

Edit: Also, I was talking to The Wanderer about them at the dragon. He was saying that the VMaxx are actually putting his car lower than Rally's is on bags.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Edit: Also, I was talking to The Wanderer about them at the dragon. He was saying that the VMaxx are actually putting his car lower than Rally's is on bags.
Keep in mind that my bags themselves are on vmaxx's as well. The only reason he's able to go lower (for now) is that springs are metal and only of a very small diameter. This allows you to spin them down below the tire. Bags are over 6" in diameter and can't come in contact with anything ever (or they'll pop) so they have to remain above the tire. I still have a good 4 inches I could spin the perches down if it weren't for that.

Just clearing that up for those confused since I'm on vmaxx as well.

And besides...he's only a quarter inch lower
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Word.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

ha touche rally
Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm also looking for some deals on the KW V1's if possible. I'd like the V2's, but I dislike the fact that you need to remove the rear suspension everytime to adjust. amd have read from several sources that the V1's are fine for street, spirited driving, and a few track days. If getting more serious then the adjustability of the V2's would become more of a factor.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
µ Retired

Send a message via ICQ to Scotty

you can adjust the ride height on KWs without taking them out. Just make sure they're clean and there's no sand in the threads. That should be sufficient for 95% of the people with coilovers.

9 of 10 voices inside my head say I'm crazy. One is whistling...
Old 05-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I think kreative was talking about adjusting the damping of the rear dampers. For that, you either need to take the dampers off the car, or remove the interior plastic panels and drill an access hole.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 PM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Yep, they aren't bad at all. In fact, I think they're great if that's what you want. I'm just already spoiled on how the TSW's handle, and I don't want to go back. Otherwise, I'd get the VMaxx in a heartbeat.

I wouldnt worry too much about coilovers making your car handle worse than the tsw springs you are on. I can assure you that wont happen. As long as you get camber plates and rear control arms you will be in good shape with either the V-maxx OR the KW's (not to say they are an equivalent coilover by any means. Im just saying for what you are wanting.)

Now you keep talking about not wanting to handle worse, and talking about lowering the car alot. That alone will make the car handle worse, by going too low. Now you can lower it, just not as low as rally and the wanderer. They are really too low to make the car handle good. And i say good for track intended purposes. Im sire for everyday driving they dont have problems. Even pushing it just a bit on the streets.

This all depends on what you are wanting, looks? good handling? or both? you will have to make compromises. I know youve probably heard this all before but im tired and just writing stuff.

Im just saying for what you are wanting, i think either coilover would be fine. and it your get the right camber plates you can change the springs out too. I have changed the springs out of the megans and i am currently running different springs on my bilsteins

In my biased opinion, i say KW owns all.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownMINI View Post
I think kreative was talking about adjusting the damping of the rear dampers. For that, you either need to take the dampers off the car, or remove the interior plastic panels and drill an access hole.
Correct, thanks for helping me clarify.

Maybe we should try and get a GB for the KW V1's?