motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Arcade From Pong to Gran Turismo!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > The Arcade

Old 09-14-2006, 05:56 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Pre-ordering ASAP! Nice!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Question pre-order?

Who is accepting pre-orders?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32&q=apple+wii
Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
μ

EB/Game Stop has repeatedly told me that they will probably be taking preorders when Nintendo officially reveals a release date. I'll report back tomorrow to see if thats true in case anyone can't try to preorder it today.

Last I checked I couldn't even reserve Zelda or Excite Truck! either.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Arrow pre-orders

I called a few eb/gs stores and they said no pre-orders at this time. Maybe not until Oct, if at all. Because they do not know how many systems they will get.
If anyone finds a solid hookup let us know.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

This is a sweet vid http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics...ie/lineup.html
Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnster
I called a few eb/gs stores and they said no pre-orders at this time. Maybe not until Oct, if at all. Because they do not know how many systems they will get.
If anyone finds a solid hookup let us know.
I'm tired of their crap. Just because the Xbox360 was in such short supply doesn't mean they should change their entire policy on console reservations. I really don't feel like having to wait in line at midnight on the 18th waiting to try and get one.

Last edited by VicSkimmr; 09-15-2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Cool I hear you.

Yeah dude, im with you on that. EB/GS suck.
But I WILL wait in line of I have to! Who's down??? I am getting super excited. I'm at work and i've been surfing for info since 9am !! Everyone is making fun of me because "nintendo's a pre-pubescent machine" lol. Screw them, I have a 360 also, but I am more excited about the WII !!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

Quote:
But I WILL wait in line of I have to! Who's down??? I am getting super excited. I'm at work and i've been surfing for info since 9am !! Everyone is making fun of me because "nintendo's a pre-pubescent machine" lol. Screw them, I have a 360 also, but I am more excited about the WII !!
yo man im with you! if we do have to wait in line, we will go to the same place

Old 09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thumbs up word

I can see all the pimped out MINI's parked in front of circuit city now !!!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
μ

Quote:
Haha, yeah. I haven't touched my 360 in about 2 weeks because I've lost interest in it while waiting for the Wii. If I have to, I'll stand in line, but that next day at work will be pretty rough.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
μ

Well I was informed that you can't reserve a Wii until EB has a SKU number for it. I'm going to try again today.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:56 PM
μ

Thanks for the update. I still need to do some research on pre-ordering. Anyone know if Toys R Us has anything going on yet?
-G
Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 PM
μ

nintendo is getting some shit now... http://insider.ign.com/articles/732/732841p1.html
Quote:
Peer Schneider, IGN Big Cheese: Well, the only downside is that the people who go to stores to buy a PS3 on day 1 or 2 and can't find one aren't really able to pick up a Wii at that point since Nintendo is launching afterwards.

I don't get that. Couldn't they have poured some higher-octane gas into the bright-red Wii assembly robot arm and cranked out enough units to launch two or more days earlier? The ship date still enables Nintendo to get out before the Thanksgiving weekend and with a high number of units, so it's certainly not really bad news. But the $249 price point is definitely a bit of a disappointment after Nintendo's "under $250" comments raised hopes that the gap would be just a little larger than 1 measly cent. "See, we kept our promise. We're selling the machine 1 cent under $250." Sure, Nintendo's simple pick-up-and play game compilation is included, but I'm not letting the Big "N" get off quite that easily.

Although Nintendo downplays that it's over promised on a few accounts, let's not forget that we've been told that Wii would not be last to launch this generation (but it is), it'll play DVDs (it won't), we'd be playing Smash Bros. online at launch (we won't -- or any other game online until next year), and the psychological price gap between the Wii and the Xbox 360 isn't really any larger than the difference between the GameCube and the original Xbox depending on what accessories you want to buy with it at launch. Oh, and there's no Metroid Prime 3 until 2007 and the system will launch without a Mario game after all. That's a lot of broken promises.

One of the promises that Nintendo has kept, however, is that the system would provide for a new way of playing. Judging from our hands-on time, Wii is a hoot to play -- and I'm not going to complain much about Mario or Metroid missing launch when I've got one of the biggest Zelda games ever to play through.

In the end, neither the price point nor the release date are a big disappointment to me. I wished the machine was $50 cheaper, but given the Wii Sports pack-in approach, it's not giving me any sleepless nights. Though it suffers from some of the same limitations, Wii isn't like GameCube. The price advantage didn't help GameCube much in the long run in the US because gamers were over time more impressed with the Xbox's capabilities and overall game variety. The control methods and marketing focus are so different that Wii is riding the trail blazed by its little handheld cousin, rather than sitting in front of confused gamers who are trying to weigh the pros and cons of the systems against each other. You either want to wave a remote around in the air or you don't. The $250 tag (versus the PS3's high cost), the pack-in, and the presence of Zelda at launch are just the icing on the cake.

As for the controller pricing -- yeah, those aren't cheap. But Nintendo is already packing in a second remote with the Hajimete no Wii game collection in Japan (for under $50), so I bet we'll see similar deals like that over here to make the peripheral cost a bit less daunting.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 PM
μ

60 bux for an extra remote with nunchuck!