motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Going Lower....WITH coilovers

Ok so I have had KW Variant 1 coilovers on my Focus for a about 2 months. I drive daily with the front raised up 10 threads from the bottom. I've had it as low as 4 threads left and I'm happy with how low it sits. For H2O I'm going to bring it all the way to the bottom as long as it doesn't rub.

So moving to the rear, unlike you guys I have a spring sitting on an adjusting cup (hat) and not a strut. They are all the way down, but I'd like to go a little lower (1/2"-1") because the front still goes lower then the rear. Also one side of my car sits nearly half an inch lower on one side then the other in the rear.....this is a common focus problem Wether it's weight distribution or a flaw in the suspension is unknown, but it is VERY common with Foci.

I have 2 options (not bagging it) to go lower in the rear. Some guys have taken the adjusting cup out and just ran the spring in the rear. This will lower the rear about 1/2". I don't really want to go that route because then I can't adjust the springs anymore. Not that I will want to raise it up, but it would be nice to be able to. So the other option is cutting a dead coil or two. Ghetto I know, but if I cut them in the EXACT same location it should efectively give me a 1/2"-1" lower. I can still use the adjusting cups with them to raise the car up if it makes it too low or just raise one side to even it out.

So what have you guys heard about cutting springs....specifically drop springs. Will it affect the spring rate a lot? I've heard 1 coil = 1/2"....is that accurate?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

I'd say negative on cutting springs, not a good idea, but just my opinion.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konky View Post
I'd say negative on cutting springs, not a good idea, but just my opinion.
Appreciate the response. Any reason you say no? I mean I'm hesitant to do it, but just doing 1 dead coil I don't see the harm really. I don't really have any other options either
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

Cutting springs will effect spring rates won't it?

Why not try to source shorter springs from Swift or something that?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Yah don't cut. Why not remove the perch/adjustment cup? You can always throw it back in if/when you want to adjust couldn't you? VW guys do it all the time.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:28 PM
μ

I have cut springs on two of my previous VWs. The only problem I had was that at full droop, the spring was actually floating and could be moved around. This could have been very dangerous if the wheel was able to drop that far without making sure the spring was seated correctly when compressed again. Removing one coil may not create that same issue, but it is definetely something to keep in mind if you do it.

After having done it previously, would I do it again? Probably not, but I was in high school and on a very tight budget.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUD View Post
I have cut springs on two of my previous VWs. The only problem I had was that at full droop, the spring was actually floating and could be moved around. This could have been very dangerous if the wheel was able to drop that far without making sure the spring was seated correctly when compressed again. Removing one coil may not create that same issue, but it is definetely something to keep in mind if you do it.

After having done it previously, would I do it again? Probably not, but I was in high school and on a very tight budget.

Damn, yea that's not good. How much did you cut for that to happen??
Old 07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
μ

you really wanna be that guy bouncing down the street. have you ever been in a car with cut or heated springs?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
you really wanna be that guy bouncing down the street. have you ever been in a car with cut or heated springs?
No, I have honestly never riden in a car with cut springs....whoever said anything about HEATED!? I wouldn't think about heating them. As far as the ride is concerned I'm not sure that it could get too much worse. The KWs all the way down are pretty stiff. I appreciate the replies. I realize I can throw the cups back in because it isn't that hard of a job, but everytime the rear suspension is taken apart the toe will be off. So in other words I will have to get an alignment after each time I mess with the rear cups costing me $50 each time.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
Damn, yea that's not good. How much did you cut for that to happen??
I think it ended up being 2 coils. 1 coil, the springs barely touched and could be shifted around if you pulled on the spring. 2, and the spring was flopping around like a fish.

Quote:
Truth. The ride does get somewhat bumpy and you bottom out much much more.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
μ

I know you didn't say anything about heating them, I was just saying that cut and heated springs are both ghetto rig ways to lower a car and both ride stupid retard.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
... So in other words I will have to get an alignment after each time I mess with the rear cups costing me $50 each time.
Wouldn't you anyways? I know if I made any significant adjustments I'd plan on getting an alignment. How often do you plan on making changes?
-G
Old 07-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff View Post
Wouldn't you anyways? I know if I made any significant adjustments I'd plan on getting an alignment. How often do you plan on making changes?
-G
Well, I can adjust the ride height and it will just throw off the camber. Taking the suspension apart to remove/install the adjusting cups will throw off the toe which really will wear down the tires. I can adjust the camber myself and get it in spec. How often do I plan on changing it? Well, if the rear was 1/2" lower I could probably leave it alone. If it was 1" lower then I would need to raise it up some for daily driving plus it would look funny with the front sitting so much higher. For car shows/meets I would slam it all the way down and maximize the negative camber. That would be about 5 times a year I guess.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
μ

Just do it once. Slam it and leave it. Don't give me sh*t about your sh*tty roads and potholes, we all got them! Just pay more attention to the road.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Just do it once. Slam it and leave it. Don't give me sh*t about your sh*tty roads and potholes, we all got them! Just pay more attention to the road.

Yea I think I may have to try it. If it doesn't work out I can always throw the cups back in....once the springs are cut there is no turning back. The roads in NC are actually pretty nice compared to a lot of northern states I have been to.