motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM
μ

Default Brake Lines and upgrades...

So I want to keep my stock calipers but want to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines and new pads. What brand brake lines are out there? Pros & Cons of one or another?

I think we've already discussed pads on the forums but I'll be looking for that too so discuss away.
-G
Old 05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
μ

From what I've read there is no really benefit from upgrading to braded brake lines,
This is the quote from roland2003 over on MINI2:
"Hi Guys,The braided hoses make no difference on the Mini whatsoever. The stock hoses are very good, the only time you may want to change is for gravel rallying. I have tried before & after (with no other changes). The creaky spongy 'Im about to boil' effect comes in exactly the same point. Not having them ,not only saves money, but alot of 'orrible mess + pressure bleeding equipment to get the air out. They wont make it worse (good) but no benefits for any tarmac use (road, race circuit). The use of Dot 5.1 is not related to the type of hose fitted. Dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point than Dot4 so is worth using, but the difference in practice is very minimal.

Best Regards Roland GTT"
Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Yeah, my understanding is that the stainless lines are just for protection from the road elements.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 PM
μ

Hmmm... Interesting to know. Maybe I'll re-think this then.
-G
Old 05-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sorry, but my experience with my BBK suggests the braided lines made a big difference. There's really little difference in pad size or piston size between my stock brakes and my BBK and any difference is felt more in fade than initial bite. But my brakes feel 20x more "solid" than stock and way less mushy (I drove a stock '06 MCS two weeks ago and the brake feel was the biggest difference). My sense is that the braided lines are contributing significantly to the mush-less feel.
Now, I didn't do a controlled test in which I changed the lines first, then added the BBK, so I could be totally wrong here. But at the cost of lines, it's worth a try. And if you ever go for other brake mods, you'll need braided lines anyway!

cheers,

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:40 PM
μ

Ill have to second the "feel" because the pedal is definitly more firm with braided lines. I have had 3 different types of brakes on my car, stock, stock rear brakes and big caliper/rotor in front with and the way it is now.

Ireland rotors, stock calipers with brass bushings, braided lines and blue fluid. No matter how hard I dog the brakes on the track or anywhere else they always feel the same. And unlike when it only had big front brakes the whole car kinda squats when you do crazy high speed braking. Very consistant and confidence inspiring! Its amazing to me how many times I have used the brakes at 100+ lol

In my opinion the lines are worth having for pedal feel and long term reliability if nothing else.

Last edited by Brain; 05-23-2006 at 01:20 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 AM
μ

Send a message via ICQ to KiLO Send a message via AIM to KiLO Send a message via MSN to KiLO Send a message via Yahoo to KiLO

Cool... I guess they're cheap enough that if you're upgrading other brake components, it's worth it.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlman
with brass bushings,.
Those brass bushings have quite a bit to do with the improved feel. I know a couple people that have done just the brass bushings with the stock lines with positive results.

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:39 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD
Default Interesting observations

We always used 'em at the track, but then the difference in continuous exposure to pounding and heat is a bit different then any spirited street driving or autocross action.

The pedal feel remained more consistent and they never had any complications, put 'em on and run 'em (unlike the stock lines - spongy and fragile). Then again, it might have been a by-product of older technology. There's very little comparison between the technology in an Opel Manta/GT or a BMW 2002 and a modern MINI Cooper...

Regardless, I'm supposed to get my StopTech brake parts any day now and in that bundle o' joy is a complete set of stainless lines, front slotted, and Hawk ceramics for the front. So, I guess I'll gain first hand experience soon on how much/little difference the lines make for aggressive carving on back roads.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:31 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Those brass bushings have quite a bit to do with the improved feel. I know a couple people that have done just the brass bushings with the stock lines with positive results.
I agree completly, BUT I did th ebushings as the last part of the system so the lines definitly affect pedal feel in a positive was as do the brass bushings. And pad wear is more even with the brass bushings too.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Send a message via MSN to franz

Quote:
Ill have to second the "feel" because the pedal is definitly more firm with braided lines.

In my opinion the lines are worth having for pedal feel and long term reliability if nothing else.
that's the only thing that braided lines will add.

It depends on the user's feeling of the pedal to choose to add them or not.

I prefer a firm pedal so i've added it...for fading problems just change your brake oil
and use the right pads! (DS2500 is the best i've tried so far)
Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Retired

Quote:
And pad wear is more even with the brass bushings too.
Interesting. I haven't heard that little nugget before. Cool.

Justapooper

I'm not lurking. I'm controlling the action.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 PM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

My pedal is much firmer since I installed stainless steel brake hoses front & rear. Great mod. you can feel, for under 100 bucks!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD
Thumbs up WOOT! My box of brakes is shipping!

Swapped out the Hawk Ceramic pads (on eternal backorder) for AXXIS Ultimate pads. So, I gain some braking and break even on the dust (so I can continue the pesky task of cleaning my freeeeakin rims )... Not a bad compromise.

Can't wait, just need to find that looooooong open road to do the initial break in runs without bothering other drivers.

I must say, the folks at StopTech (http://www.stoptech.com) may not have the best sales communication (What order? Who? When? Huh?) but they are definitely all about the brakes. Very nice conversation with them today - succinct, literal, and very pleasant on an enthusiast/professional level. The sales person I talked with today even drives an MCS which provided a nice level of comfort while deciding on how to squander my pennies.

Better than TireRack, Pegasus, and others I've used for various parts/pieces.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to rjive Send a message via MSN to rjive

Not to hijack, but the BBK install, has anyone done it? Is it hard or simple? Looking to upgrade the brakes on my MINI as well as the Mrs. Looking for a little more in the stopping dept. Thinking about the JCW brake kit. I'd love to have the AP racing kit, but not interested in $400 pads or whatever they are.

If someone has a write up or pics of the install, I'd love to see. Thanks in advance!