motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default IE Camber Plates & Adjustable Rear Control Arms

Since I'll have my coilovers installed soon, I've been debating on whether to grab some m7 str plates or IE camber plates so I don't have to worry about any mushrooming. I'm currently on stock 16" wheels with 205/50's.

However, am I justified in worrying about mushrooming or should I bag those options for now and get some rear control arms instead?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

i think camber plates are better than just defender plates. they serve a purpose ALONG with theoretically better protection to the strut towers vs items that are specifically designed to prevent 'shrooming.

if you plan on going real low out the gate then you may or may not want the rear camber that comes along with the new geometry. im not sure what look you're going for, plus you might get more unwanted camber wear.

ideally you want to have camber plates and arms in so you can get the alignment right but if you don't right away it's not like the car's going to explode or anything. rfibanez ran slammed with no alignment for more than a year makes for a squirelly ride though so i don't recommend that. either item will require a proper alignment if installed after the coilover install so consider that into your cost too.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I do plan on going pretty low to begin with. That's what has me worried about possible mushrooming. My original plan was to install the coilovers, get an alignment, run around with some camber in the rear, and then get control arms later in the summer. I'm running stock wheels and tires so I really have no need for that much camber right now.

Then I got thinking about the strut towers and if my money would be better spent there. I'm just torn between worrying about mushrooming right now (buy the camber plates) or dialing out the rear camber first. Only real reason I'm asking is because I'm kind of on a budget and can't really afford both at the same time. Also, I'll probably be putting at most, 4k miles on the car this summer.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 AM
μ

so you DO plan on doing the slammed/poke/stretch/wheels look?
if so, i'd try to do adjustable camber plates. let the rear camber do what it wants and deal with that later.

the way i see it is, having adjustable camber up front you can dial in fitment and stance better than with the static -.5 camber as well as having protection for the strut towers and a little bit of added performance that most likely will not mean much for you especially if you get hellaflush, as the cool kids say these days

the concern for an alignment after is not only the camber but the toe will change which could be dangerous.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yea, I plan on doing the whole stretch/slammed look. But realistically, that won't happen for a good 2 more years or so. My goal as of now is to run about -2 camber up front and maybe -1.5 out back (once I have control arms). Maybe 1/16" toe front and back? I'm not too familiar with toe settings. Just looking to be pretty low but still handle relatively well.

I know people say the race plates IE sells are loud as hell. What kind of noise are we talking? I'm assuming it'll be no problem and I can deal with it, but I'd just like to know what I'm getting into.

edit: found my answer about the plates. fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
when your going slow and your turn the wheel it poppes and makes grinding kinda noises. in parking lots and such.. and when you hit bumps I wouldnt call it a rattle but close. just very noisy.
Are they seriously unbearable for a daily driver?

Last edited by Izz; 05-02-2010 at 04:28 AM..
Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Leadership

Listen to Glen. Some great advice there. Camber plates do a better jobof stopping mushrooming strut towers anyway.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Now it's just a matter of deciding whether to go with the race plates or the street/track plates. I really like the fact that the race plates give an extra 1" of travel.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have them both!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 AM
μ

in all honesty, go with stock toe, the MINI turn in is excellent in stock form. if you're counting fractions of a second in a competitive environment it's useful but from a daily driver standpoint, it just isnt enough to mean anything.

the IE race plates are noisy and they have no urethane. if/when i hit hard bumps with my plates sometimes it's bone jarring and they are pillowball, which is virtually the same as a spherical bearing. it's harsh for sure but not that bad.

Last edited by glnr13; 05-03-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I'm not sure what the stock toe settings are. 1/16" toe in, front and back?

So the race plates also add a "feel" along with the noise? I probably won't mind it too much, but is it harsh to the point where passengers will hate getting in my car? I appreciate the help glen.

Last edited by Izz; 05-03-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

They arent unbearably loud. Its just a noise you learn to live with. Id rather hear that noise than bottom out my coils constantly for sure.(extra 1" of travel with IE race plates)

I dont think they give a worse "feel" than any MINI on entry level coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
As much as I love poke and stretch, this is too much 9.5s and 10s are large enough. Your wheels are the automotive equivalent of droopy, oversized labia, sometimes there is such a thing as too much lip.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks, I think that settles it then. Did the plates come with installation instructions by any chance? I'm not too familiar when it comes to camber plates.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Thanks, I think that settles it then. Did the plates come with installation instructions by any chance? I'm not too familiar when it comes to camber plates.
Installation is too easy to need instructions. They just replace the upper OEM mount.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The spring seat and pad stay in place, correct?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Pad? You mean bushing? No.