motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via ICQ to Xanthus Send a message via AIM to Xanthus Send a message via Yahoo to Xanthus
Default CLASSIC Mini flip front wiring idea...

So at Painlesswiring.com I saw the neatest things made for hot rod wiring for door speakers and accessories. They were plates with copper contacts made to connect when the door was closed. I was thinking with the addition of a plate next to one of the hinges that you would be able to use this to connect all the lights on the Bonnet without having to plug and unplug wires every time. I thought that using the spot next to the hinge would give the surest fit to the thing and ensure that the contacts always line up properly. I also assume that you likely could add them into the hinges if you were handy enough to further tighten the fit.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog.php

(Any chance to get a Classic Mini mechanical forum covering anything and everything? I hope that with me here I will help bring more classics to the mix, especially modded ones.)
Old 06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

That's awesome. The Hot Rod community has some serious gadgets to help with the things they do.

Would one have to worry about the strength of the connections? Especially somewhere like Florida where you guys have salt accumulation? I know when im at my beach house, my connections to the battery terminals get a little crazy.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

It is a great idea, but like Rally, it would be questionable with the salt. Then again, if it was in an obvious location it could be part of the regular cleaning routine.

Next is to check how much current they can handle... Speakers usually use much less than lights.

(if we can get some posts going for classics, I would be up for a section.)
Old 06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via ICQ to Xanthus Send a message via AIM to Xanthus Send a message via Yahoo to Xanthus

ROFL, the whole of Florida is not covered in salt. Hell I do not SEE the ocean unless I cannot avoid it.

And we have spigots with fresh water.:p

Maybe a forum for general modifications?

Just this seemed to not fit into anything.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:41 PM
μ

hahah yah i know its not ALL salt. Its just that even areas NEAR salt water have problems. Especially when its a peninsula :p :p
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

True, though we do was cars allot.

The funny thing is that it is more the constant humidity more than the salt unless you are right on the beaches.

When I vacation near the water I wash the MINI ALLOT, even if it is just a good hosing with no real detailing.

Now you got me cringing about the much less protected classic and the salt.

Good thing I like to wash the cars.....
Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
μ

if you wash regularly....it should be prefectly fine. I just find that SOME electrical connections can be pissy when it comes to salt. Worse comes to worst and you have to take some steel wool to the terminals....not a big deal.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:16 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

Nah... being in FL you should just give your car to someone on a less humid coast.... :p

Another consideration I would have is placement. If water will gather where the connections are, it could lead to some serious problems. Maybe check out the area first.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally
if you wash regularly....it should be prefectly fine. I just find that SOME electrical connections can be pissy when it comes to salt. Worse comes to worst and you have to take some steel wool to the terminals....not a big deal.

The typical Lucas wiring connections all over the classics are HORRIBLE for this, they are constantly failing and a large source of annoyance for classic Mini owners. In addition the bus fuses are for the birds.