motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag

Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin440 View Post
And the fact that as a daily, in the event of a write-off it's gone.

Really digging the hype in the series. Entry is decent too.
Yeah, my wife is worried about me wadding it up at regular HDPEs, so a race is out of the question right now. I mean, besides the fact that I'm nowhere near a good enough driver for a race series haha.

I hope the hype can be increased or sustained. It would be awesome if this series could really take off. It's good to see the manufacturers into it, but there's also the danger that too much factory involvement makes it impossible the little teams to be competitive, so its a fine balance it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Paul View Post
Yeah, as much as I think it wouldn't be bad to daily a car with a cage, it would.

As for MINI entering the field, I would say they have a bit of an advantage over some of the other cars that are eligible. In B Spec trim a MINI would make 120ish horsepower and weigh in at around 2500 lbs, my 2 would be around 105 horsepower and weigh in at 2300 lbs. So I'd imagine that there would need to be ballasts put into some of the cars.

I saw the B Spec MINI that is on display currently at the LA Auto Show and I gotta say it made me really happy to see a base Cooper getting some attention. Even though I belong to the dark side now, I still gotta soft spot for base MINI's.
You're right... Probably the only time we'll see all the cars without ballast and other 'equalization' methods will be in initial testing. Hopefully some of the information and lap times gathered there will be available to the public.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainestang View Post
but there's also the danger that too much factory involvement makes it impossible the little teams to be competitive, so its a fine balance it seems.
With spec classes is that as much of a danger as it is with other motorsports?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
With spec classes is that as much of a danger as it is with other motorsports?
I'm far from an expert on the effect of manufacturer involvement in Spec racing, but I was reading an article on thetruthaboutcars and the article mentions that Spec Focus fizzled because the 'factory team' cars were always several seconds faster per lap than the privateers.

I think it's safe to say that MINI USA being involved is a good thing in general, and I'm glad they are. I guess the way it normally works is that more money from manufacturers means more money for regular people to be competitive, which is the whole point of this class. That's why I say it can be a fine line, it seems. Hopefully the manufacturers can just give the series some publicity, provide the cars, etc, and we can see some great racing!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Click the image to open in full size.

Saw this display at the LA Auto Show.

MINI dealer in NC will soon start selling race prepped B Spec series MINI Coopers for racing. Exciting times ahead in the world of MINI.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Flamez this B-Spec should really have its own thread.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I just received *tentative* pricing for the B-Spec MINI Kit.

All the individual prices are below retail and an additional discount is available if you buy the entire kit at once.

The kit includes ECU reflash, KW Coilovers, Vorshlag Camber plates, misc safety nets and fire suppression, air filter, brake pads, wheels (w/o tires), tow hooks, etc., and a RESTRICTOR PLATE.

The kit will be ~$6100... A little more if you don't buy it all at once. The tires are separate, but will be available from MINI of Charleston, as well.

So, if you can wrench on your own car, you could have a brand new 2012 MINI B-Spec race car for under $30k. Probably a lot less if you can find a used '07-08 or a salvage title car!

Last edited by Blainestang; 01-25-2012 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Cage *is* included in kit price. The bolt-on version is extra.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Restricter plate hhahahahaha
Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnewby View Post
Restricter plate hhahahahaha
The Cooper is just way too powerful!

Car and Driver is doing a comparison test of all of the B-Spec cars at Laguna Seca, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/01/...ing-announced/

Article on MotoringFile regarding pricing. They even used my site as the 'source'.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The recent scca had an article on the b spec cars and they stated the pricing on the fit and the 2 at least 5 grand cheaper than the cooper. Its an awesome series, but the cooper being on the expensive side then I wonder how many will run them?

R53 JCW MINI COOPER S & S30 280Z
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Looks like Grand Am picked up B spec and will be doing 45 minute sprints in conjunction with Continental Tire Challenge races.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
μ

One of those dates is for the Mazda Raceway date in September. Looks like I'm gonna have to make the drive TWICE this year.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDDtracktoy View Post
The recent scca had an article on the b spec cars and they stated the pricing on the fit and the 2 at least 5 grand cheaper than the cooper. Its an awesome series, but the cooper being on the expensive side then I wonder how many will run them?
I don't suppose this article is online somewhere? I guess I should just Google it! haha

As far as pricing goes, my guess is it will be the same as for street cars. Sure, some people will go with the cheaper car to save money, but some will want to spend a little more for the MINI... I hope, anyway.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Check Kinetic Racing for the Kia kit pricing if you think the MINI kit is high...

Quote:
Once potential racers purchase their 2012 Rio 5-door, a B-Spec kit that costs $14,000 is available for purchase from Kia's racing partner, Kinetic Motorsports, that includes everything needed to transform the 2012 Rio 5-door into a proper racecar: roll cage kit, racing seat, quick-release steering wheel, racing harness, race shocks, lightweight wheels, spec-series tires, oil sump pan expansion kit and complete build instructions.
Honda's kit does not include wheels, tires, roll cage, seat, harness. steering wheel.

The kit prices are all over the map as they are quite varied with whats included.

Honda and Mazda are using off the shelf Bilstiens, MINI is a using a custom KW setup that includes Vorschlag camber plates.

Someone really needs to sit down with all the kits data and make a chart as to who includes what.

So much has been said by so many people who know so little about whatís going on, that itís truly breathtaking to contemplate. Peter M. De Lorenzo

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

From AutoWeek:

Grand-Am on Saturday announced it will in 2012 add six B-Spec sub-compact car races to its calendar. The sanctioning body plans for the six sprint races—each expected to last for 30-45 minutes in length—to run in conjunction with Grand-Am weekends at Homestead-Miami Speedway (April 27-29), New Jersey Motorsports Park (May 11-13), Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (June 8-9), Watkins Glen International (June 29-July 1), Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (Sept. 7-9) and Lime Rock Park (Sept. 28-29). Each of those weekends will also feature Grand-Am's headlining Rolex Series and the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1ku55HM00