motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag

Old 06-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperTrooper
haha will dont u realize that half the stuff u say "all in good fun" makes u come off as a complete D-bag?
Not my fault everyone is so thenthitive all the time.

Honestly, if it had been anyone else of the "group" it wouldn't even have registered, so I'm sorry for even poppin up. Gosh...
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 06-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

OK, back to the race...
I'm interested in the consequences of the race result for the future of diesel cars. Apparently half of all Audi cars sold in Europe are diesel powered, and of course nearly all the commercial vehicles in Europe are diesel. They even sell a Diesel MINI in Europe. About the only country that hasn't caught up is the US. I don't think diesel race cars are anything special...Audi simply did it to promote its diesel technology--clean, quiet, powerful and fast--all the things that diesels *weren't* in years gone by. But the legacy remains, and diesel has carried these stigma for too long, according to Audi.
If Peugeot really comes up with a LM contender next year to challenge the R10 (it *won't* be 1500hp btw, more like 700, diesels produce way more torque than power, so 1000ft/lbs of torque is possible, but not 1500hp as previously posted here on m|u) then endurance racing may change for a short time, but that's the nature of racing--always bleeding at the cutting edge.
Anyway, I thought the coolest thing about this weekend's race was the Audi-o --sort of like a whoosh...

later,

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:28 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

I would love a diesel for a daily driver.... then get a filter and fill-up at the local fast-food restaurant...
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Geesh, from the looks of it one would expect the driver of the Nippon Lambo to wear a Batman'esque drivers suit. That's pretty tough looking.

The victory of the R10 puts a new face on racing. Who'd ever think diesel would be a contender prior to this? How long before McDonalds gets in the action with a bio-diesel car? Buy some fries in the pits and help support their car in the LeMans.

Seriously though, very sweet victory. Too bad I didn't get to see any of it...
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandini
Yes, it was a Russian entry! BUT what about the Japanese Lamborghini? They had some closeups of it in the pits and the entire body was carbon fiber!! GEEZUZ KRYST. It was sponsored by the Japanese Lamborghini Owner's Club--talk about a shite load of money. (photos here:http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...Friday&Y=2006#) I think it was still running after 24 hours though, so not a bad effort.

later,

Thanks for that link. That Lambo is wild !!

Randy
M7 Tuning
Old 06-19-2006, 12:56 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Corvette Racing Wins 24 Hours of Le Mans!!!!!!!!!!

[Take that], porsche fanboi! Bwahahahahaha!
Porsche didn't even build a car for GT1 class, you shmoe.

Porsche just had a 1-2 finish at Mid-Ohio earlier this season in ALMS with the RS Spyder, despite the winning #7 car having to start from the pits due to a minimum weight violation and correction...

In other words, they fought from the back of the field and WHUPT on everyone, including the formidable LMP1 Audi R8's. I can't wait for the 2007 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Last edited by iDiaz; 06-19-2006 at 01:08 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 01:03 AM
μ

Quote:
OK, back to the race...
I'm interested in the consequences of the race result for the future of diesel cars. Apparently half of all Audi cars sold in Europe are diesel powered, and of course nearly all the commercial vehicles in Europe are diesel. They even sell a Diesel MINI in Europe. About the only country that hasn't caught up is the US. I don't think diesel race cars are anything special...Audi simply did it to promote its diesel technology--clean, quiet, powerful and fast--all the things that diesels *weren't* in years gone by. But the legacy remains, and diesel has carried these stigma for too long, according to Audi.
Yeah, it actually kind'a sucked not being able to hear the engine on that R10 most of the time, though. It would have been nice to be able to hear it in person, as sound is one of the best parts of watching a race car go. From what I did hear, it sounded seriously beefy.

Quote:
If Peugeot really comes up with a LM contender next year to challenge the R10 (it *won't* be 1500hp btw, more like 700, diesels produce way more torque than power, so 1000ft/lbs of torque is possible, but not 1500hp as previously posted here on m|u) then endurance racing may change for a short time, but that's the nature of racing--always bleeding at the cutting edge.
We can only hope it won't catch fire, like the other Peugeot-powered prototype.

Quote:
Anyway, I thought the coolest thing about this weekend's race was the Audi-o --sort of like a whoosh...

later,
Congratulations to Panoz on their first class win at Le Mans (GT2)! It was crazy watching Porsche struggle to replace that shifter in the pits, after having watched Audi Sport swap out all of the internals on a gearbox, fluid and all, in less than three minutes.

Ferrari got pwn3d by their seized center lug, too. It would have been fun watching them chiseling the wheel off, for sure.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Porsche didn't even build a car for GT1 class, you shmoe.
What's that? hmm? Oh right, they aren't even in the same class as the 'Vette! Awwww, too bad! HAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm just playin!
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 AM
μ

Quote:
What's that? hmm? Oh right, they aren't even in the same class as the 'Vette! Awwww, too bad! HAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm just playin!
No, you're right... they're not in the same class. They're a class above it...

Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You know, that Corvette has done great things in the GT1 class, winning 3 times and this year they had some real challengers with the Aston Martins...so it wasn't a cakewalk. A real American effort that reminds me of the old Ford GT40 days when Americans were poor cousins of Italian immigrants--or so Ferrari thought.
And the Porsche ALMS cars are very impressive--I can't wait to see Porsche return to LM. They are always a great force when backed by the factory in overall (LMP1) and GT classes. They really are amazing sports coupes, and classic to boot!
AFAIAC, I can own and drive a modified MCS and still enjoy all the other expressions of the automobile, especially those with high technology and aesthetic qualities. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some designs transcend popularity--many of the Ferrari designs, and the Porsche 911. Of course, I can't actually find anything to save the Scion XBox, but it's not challenging for eternal design excellence...

All in all, I've enjoyed this year's LeMans. It was won by brute force packaged in a familiar body shaped by high technology and controlled by the ultimate expression of Teutonic zeal.

cheers,

Old 06-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
And yet....

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...hronos_gb.html
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 06-19-2006, 02:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It's fun to watch. I'm going to Lime Rock end of the month, and if I can swing it, Road Atlanta in Sept. Fun times!
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 06-19-2006, 02:16 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:

what you dont see is that i'm right behind that wall trying to lean around to snag photos in the press only section :p :p
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 AM
μ

Quote:
...they didn't enter the RS Spyder in Le Mans. Do you see RS Spyder anywhere on that list? This is its first full season of racing in American Le Mans Series. Learn about Le Mans and ALMS before you start with the yeehaws, Tex.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:25 AM
μ

Man, I can't get Le Mans out of my system. It must be amazing to work for one of those pit crews, stealing sleep through the night, in a folding chair with a race radio strapped to your head, subconsciously waiting for your cue to jump into action and change a tire as quickly as is humanly possible, or disassemble and replace an entire fuel system, or swap out a gear cluster in a matter of minutes. I would clean windscreens if it meant I could work in the pits for the 24 Hours of Le Mans!