motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Oh god, PLEASE don't go Moss MINI Catalog crazy when you get your MINI, melissa! I've seen too many MINIs destroyed by Moss' extensive inventory of chrome add-ons. Who the hell needs chrome door hinge covers? Chrome hood/hatch damper covers? WHY?!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lucky13

ummmmm
obviously will...
but my point is...if you would take the time to read what I say more carefully, that there is nothing aftermarket that changes it that dramatically to make it worth it for me...or for most people that drive mini's
if I wanted an aero efficient car I sure as hell would not have bought a fucking mini in the first place (limited top speed via shitty aerodynamics not governed)
it's a freaking block of a car, what are fiberglass sideskirts going to do for me Will that will really really dramatically change the handling characteristics of my car?
diddly squat...haha (did I just say that?)
they will do nothing but get in the way and be heavy even when i am topping out at 130 hahaha
if i really wanted a fast car....there are many other things i would do to it before glueing fiberglass to it...
im down for the custom shit yeah it's just not for me as it's mostly pointless except for looks and being able to practice repairing it as it fucking cracks, esp on a mini it would be a bad idea as our cars are so damn rigid i can imagine fiberglass getting tiny hairline cracks where the car is stressed

but i know nothing about aerodynamics Will you are the fucking genius here...
we are all fucking scumbags who know nothing compared to Will the almighty scientist
Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13
ummmmm
obviously will...
but my point is...if you would take the time to read what I say more carefully, that there is nothing aftermarket that changes it that dramatically to make it worth it for me...or for most people that drive mini's
Oh, that part is obvious, however you did not specifically call out only aftermarket kits that are available, you said body kits. This is a much broader term than bolt on aftermarket kits, as exhibited by one-off's and DIYers.

Quote:

if I wanted an aero efficient car I sure as hell would not have bought a fucking mini in the first place (limited top speed via shitty aerodynamics not governed)
Valid point, but it only serves to strengthen my argument. Since you are limited to lower speeds, it would seem to be the obvious that you would want to optimize the aerodynamics for the speed range which you do operate. You seem so intent on being this awesome fast driver, and yet you overlook obvious areas to help achieve your goal.

Quote:

it's a freaking block of a car, what are fiberglass sideskirts going to do for me Will that will really really dramatically change the handling characteristics of my car?
diddly squat...haha (did I just say that?)
they will do nothing but get in the way and be heavy even when i am topping out at 130 hahaha
Diddly squat is the ignorant answer, yes. Again, properly designed, and they can help dramatically. You are stuck on weight as the ultimate answer to your plight, and also stuck on aerodynamic body kits as being heavy. Both of these are ignorant, or at the very least incomplete, ways of looking at performance. Most importantly, that you do not consider manipulation of the body is the reason you are topping out at 130. Can you understand that?

Quote:

if i really wanted a fast car....there are many other things i would do to it before glueing fiberglass to it...
Becuase I'm sure you gutted your car to make it look good, right? You obviously want a faster car, that handles better. Otherwise all you did is make your car noisy, uncomfortable, and ugly.

Quote:

im down for the custom shit yeah it's just not for me as it's mostly pointless except for looks and being able to practice repairing it as it fucking cracks, esp on a mini it would be a bad idea as our cars are so damn rigid
And my whole point is that it doesn't have to be pointless.

Quote:

i can imagine fiberglass getting tiny hairline cracks where the car is stressed
Ever done it?

Quote:

but i know nothing about aerodynamics Will you are the fucking genius here...
we are all fucking scumbags who know nothing compared to Will the almighty scientist
I'm not sure why you are trying to blame me for that. It's not really my fault, is it?
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonstersinme
you guys are fuckin funny.... if you want to know anything specific about fiberglass my business partner is the god of fiberglass and composites. he=amazing
loll... But he's so far away!

Will: it can be messy but that can also be fun
Old 12-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

now now boys and girls... be nice!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
Will: it can be messy but that can also be fun
that is true, it can be fun. I'm just not so keen on the pain of ripping my skin off removing resin from my hands because the gloves i had kinda deteriorated on contact....hehe
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
now now boys and girls... be nice!
That was nice. I didn't say the F word once! In fact, I didn't even curse!
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
that is true, it can be fun. I'm just not so keen on the pain of ripping my skin off removing resin from my hands because the gloves i had kinda deteriorated on contact....hehe

ya.. know i found a great trick about getting resin off your skin.. rub your hands in mud for a little bit. it works it off pretty good. better than that orange cleaner stuff
Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
ya.. know i found a great trick about getting resin off your skin.. rub your hands in mud for a little bit. it works it off pretty good. better than that orange cleaner stuff
Good tip, I'll try that next time. I was not skilled when I did that, and was hurried. I've since learned more, but I still make a mess. hehe
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-14-2005, 06:56 PM
μ

Hey Melissa, how hard would it be to make a fiberglass sunroof replacement plug?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

you would have to build the plug frist. and how it will be attached to the the roof. build a skeliton. laying the glass over that is easy. its a flat surface. or will be a flat surface. When u have abunch of hard lines and curves like my body kit has.. it takes more time to get those lines just right
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Lucky13

now were talkin!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM
μ

Where do you get fiberglass? Like a regular art shop or a specialty place?

Everything has to basically be built around a skeleton right. You can't just start modeling something right away can you? I guess you could but it would have to be solid thus losing it's lightweight nature, right.
-G
Old 12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff
Where do you get fiberglass? Like a regular art shop or a specialty place?

Everything has to basically be built around a skeleton right. You can't just start modeling something right away can you? I guess you could but it would have to be solid thus losing it's lightweight nature, right.
-G

yes..
for something like what Ivan wants or like a box for a sound system, you would want to build a skeleton to work with. Witch would involve using fabric and resien to get the shape your looking for.

But for what im doing, I'll be useing a product call mar-glass. Its stonge and alot like bondo. Two parts mixed togethere and laied on the same way as bondo. Mar glass has fiberglass hairs and is really stringy. it seeps in to the body lines making it stonger on both sides.

you can go to any auto paint suply store to get these items. I have a place right by my work. its a Shermawaneys (sp/) paint place. But you can pick the stuff up at any auto store too. autozone, pep-boys, even the hard ware store. But i perfer autozone over all auto parts places if ya cant find a paint suply store near u.

both are easy .. its just depends on what ur looking for. For weight reduction, the fabric method is better. But the weight of the wood used to make a skeleton will be the thing you have to worry about. but theres light weigt particle boreds that would do the trick for that.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 PM
μ

Quote:
you can go to any auto paint suply store to get these items. I have a place right by my work. its a Shermawaneys (sp/) paint place. But you can pick the stuff up at any auto store too. autozone, pep-boys, even the hard ware store. But i perfer autozone over all auto parts places if ya cant find a paint suply store near u.
Sherman Williams?

Quote:
both are easy .. its just depends on what ur looking for. For weight reduction, the fabric method is better. But the weight of the wood used to make a skeleton will be the thing you have to worry about. but theres light weigt particle boreds that would do the trick for that.
Hm. I suppose I could try to make a skeleton out of balsa wood. Any idea where to source that?