motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

I worry about in the long run when I start hitting more track auto x events that I will regret not getting coil over and instead dishing out more $ when i would wish i could have done right to begin with.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

If your Mini will be intended for mostly street driving with the occasional autox on the weekends your sway bar with some springs and control arms will be more then enough. If track days and spirited drives in the canyons is more your thing then I say coilovers are the way to go. You get the adjustability and the higher performance with a good coilover setup.

The Bilstein Pss9's are definatly the best street setup out there, but they're also very pricey. Overpriced IMO. You do get a good setup with some of the best dampers on the market with a solid reputation.

The Megans are the new kids on the block, not much is known about them. They have had their problems but Megan has done a decent job at helping their customers with their problems. The build quality is there, and the spring rates are pretty darn good. They come with built in camber plates and are 32 way adjustable. They still have their quirks to be worked out however.

If you got the $ and want the best get the Bilsteins. If your on a budget and want a the best setup for the money the Megans are worth a look.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've got the JCW suspension kit in my Cooper and really like it. Great compromise suspension. I live in Vermont and drive my Cooper daily / year round. So lowering was out of the cards because of the snow. I also autocross and go to track days - I have around 15 days of each right now.

I got the JCW suspension because my stock struts were starting to show signs of wear at around 75,000 miles and I knew it was only a matter of time until I needed something. The JCW upgrade was not much more expensive than replacing the struts with new stock units.

Handling on the track is really good with my setup. I've had instructors amazed that my car wasn't on R-compounds after riding in it. Of course, I have more than just the JCW suspension in the mix, most notably front camber plates.

If my Cooper were not my daily driver, I would go with PSS9 most likely.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via Yahoo to theroyalwe

just an FYI... NAM has a group buy going on right now on H&R Coilovers for under a grand...

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=80381
Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM
μ

Those are only height adjustable, can't adjust the dampening level. Good deal though.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 AM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez
Those are only height adjustable, can't adjust the dampening level. Good deal though.
Im glad you said that, cause i was looking into getting those. What about the H&R club kit? Like everyone said pss9 all the way. I have the Bilstein sport shocks and H&R springs. Its a great litte set-up. I dont know much for comparison, but i know that it is comfortable and handles in the corners well. The only thing that i dont like is that there is no adjustability. To some people that would be great, like when i got them i didnt think i wanted to mess with adjusting and what not, but now, 11 months later, i do.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 AM
OG Bitches

Damn you people. I am starting to look at the Megans myself. I like the price, the fact that they come with adjustable camber plates. Does anyone know if there are any modifications that need to be done to the car to mount them? Does anyone actually have them. I would love to get some first hand opinions.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AZMCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyclef
I am surprised no one has mentioned the H&R Coilovers. You can pick these up for around $1000.
Another vote for H&R I love mine. I run them on my MINI and Vdub. FWIW, Bilstein uses H&R springs on their PSS9s and the schock bodies on the H&Rs are made by Bilstein....

The clubsports are mucho, mucho STIFF. I would stick with the standard ones. They are not rebound/comp[ression adjustable, but mine are so nice for AutoX and as a DD they are not overly harsh.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Damn you people. I am starting to look at the Megans myself. I like the price, the fact that they come with adjustable camber plates. Does anyone know if there are any modifications that need to be done to the car to mount them? Does anyone actually have them. I would love to get some first hand opinions.
there is some slight modifying/cutting required to be able to adjust the dampeners in the rear i believe... rfibanez has these... ray, correct me if im wrong...
-g
Old 11-02-2006, 07:09 AM
μ

To adjust the rears from inside the car you will need to drill two holes in the rear of the car above where the struts mount so that you can access the adjustment knobs.

To adjust the front camber you will need to notch out the holes in the front strut towers.

Of course you don't have to do any of this, it just saves you time from having to take the struts out to adjust them.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
OG Bitches

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that, would you?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
μ

Send a message via Skype™ to CANYON MINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMCS
Another vote for H&R I love mine. I run them on my MINI and Vdub. FWIW, Bilstein uses H&R springs on their PSS9s and the schock bodies on the H&Rs are made by Bilstein....

The clubsports are mucho, mucho STIFF. I would stick with the standard ones. They are not rebound/comp[ression adjustable, but mine are so nice for AutoX and as a DD they are not overly harsh.
I tested a set of these for only 1 day at the track (streets of Willow) & tossed them.
They maybe alright for the entry level autoXers ?? Way too soft for track, they would bottom out & make the car jump a full car width sideways as soon as I turned in on hard or high speed corner entry.
Not very confidence inspiring at all!

Cheers, Bob
Old 11-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

avoid the Megans. thats all im going to say.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:37 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that, would you?
Sorry I don't, I haven't done any drilling to my car yet.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPAMINE
avoid the Megans. thats all im going to say.
Could you enlighten us as to why others should avoid them?