motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 12-27-2005, 12:09 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Will-here is just a sample of what is available for the jetta...(note: some bumpers incorporate grills as well, these arent listed)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=129193
Old 12-27-2005, 12:16 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

i like that haman actually =D

Old 12-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have the Kamei Grill on my golf

here's what it looked like before i modlededed it in to my front bumper

(Sorry fot the huge photo.. but my photo host is acting up and this is all i can find right now)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally
m7 grill looks way too unfinished in my opinion. I always wished they would add a surround or something. It doesnt even look track oriented to me. Just looks like a honda grill bolt on.

there is no way temps are dropped a substantial amount with any grill that doesn't involve a large scoop, or increases overall hole size. You are talking a LITTLE bit of extra air getting in. Anyone using that as an excuse for installing a grill is just trying to excuse the fact that they might have bought something for aesthetic reasons (not a bad thing)
You're probably right, Rally. While technically any of the mesh grills effectively increase the hole size by not incorporating a surround, it's likely that the surround just covered obstructions anyway, so a grill swap is likely only for the looks until one is specifically designed to enhance the performance, cooling and what not.

But the look is going to be the primary reason most of the time anyway.

I noticed that the majority of the grills that were linked seemed to be meshes of different density and finish. A couple were slat style, like the stock MINI grills. Is it just the mesh style that is different? Sorry if I'm just missing it. I'll look closer in the morning.
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-27-2005, 04:40 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

This was the black MINI I was talking about. I think it looks soooooooo good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackm7grill.jpg (22.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-27-2005, 04:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to nomonstersinme

will that is not all of the vw grilles available. there are a couple of just mesh grilles in that collage but the rest of them are a grille with mesh backing; which is completely different looking. i dont have as much of a problem with those. my favorite vw grilles are the ones that remove the vw logo..
maybe ill look for pics tomorrow..
Old 12-27-2005, 04:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sorry, that picture turned out smaller than I thought it would. I suck with computers but if anyone can somehow make the pic bigger that would be awesome.........or you can try to explain to me how to do it but I'm warning you it will take me a while.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:12 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will

I noticed that the majority of the grills that were linked seemed to be meshes of different density and finish. A couple were slat style, like the stock MINI grills. Is it just the mesh style that is different? Sorry if I'm just missing it. I'll look closer in the morning.
Yah...many of them alter the surround as well. Some make it bigger, or deeper, or skinnier. Its subtle....but you will see what i mean.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonstersinme
will that is not all of the vw grilles available. there are a couple of just mesh grilles in that collage but the rest of them are a grille with mesh backing; which is completely different looking. i dont have as much of a problem with those. my favorite vw grilles are the ones that remove the vw logo..
maybe ill look for pics tomorrow..
I think I see what you mean. I wasn't making the distinction, so what I think you mean is some combination of the stock type grill with a surround or some shape to it enclosing the mesh, right?
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Yah...many of them alter the surround as well. Some make it bigger, or deeper, or skinnier. Its subtle....but you will see what i mean.
Gotcha! As I said to nomo, I wasn't making the distinction, but now that it's been pointed out, I see it clear as day. Thanks!
......... (O)____(O)_\
Old 12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to ingsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
The lack of the surround, as well as opening up the areas on either end of the lower grill will allow more air into the engine bay. I'm not going to say it helps cool, but it's certainly possible. Also possible it won't significantly reduce temps. Something to test, perhaps. Wouldnt be that hard, I'd wager.
Remember, air has an easier way into the radiator, too. Point is, I've _seen_ the difference on the temp gauge of his car [5-10 degrees while running at operating temp], without ever changing out the thermostat. That is about half of the difference that I have seen with my M7 thermostat. His car has a pulley, Forge IC, and a few other goodies, besides some really sweet Spax coilovers [whoever said that they were bad quality, I can tell you for sure that they are t3h s1ht!]. Pre-to-post [aero] grille, he saw about a ten degree difference in [steady state] water temp. That was the only mod done to achieve it, pre to post.

Look at the pic already posted of the car with the M7 grille [which I'll bet lowers temps slightly more]...

Last edited by ingsoc; 12-27-2005 at 02:59 PM..
Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

The bottom M7 grill is ok, but the top needs some sort of surround.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:40 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Remember, air has an easier way into the radiator, too. Point is, I've _seen_ the difference on the temp gauge of his car [5-10 degrees while running at operating temp], without ever changing out the thermostat. That is about half of the difference that I have seen with my M7 thermostat. His car has a pulley, Forge IC, and a few other goodies, besides some really sweet Spax coilovers [whoever said that they were bad quality, I can tell you for sure that they are t3h s1ht!]. Pre-to-post [aero] grille, he saw about a ten degree difference in [steady state] water temp. That was the only mod done to achieve it, pre to post.

Look at the pic already posted of the car with the M7 grille [which I'll bet lowers temps slightly more]...
I donno--until I can actually read the procedure you used for testing this, I can't rule out other factors influencing the difference in temperature. To be safe, buy a grille for looks, not for performance.

Considering the shroud around the radiator blocks any additional air provided by a larger grille opening from ever reaching the engine compartment, I just don't see how lower engine compartment temperatures are possible. Pop your hood and take a look. Also, since the stock grille isn't blocking the radiator at all, I don't see how it would improve radiator efficiency, either. Maybe just slightly, from having a grille instead of slats, but I doubt the larger opening does anything at all for cooling.

The bottom grille would be nicer if it were set in deeply, like the stock grille sits. As is, the grille comes flush with the rest of the fascia, which looks a little weird to me.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:52 PM
μ

Quote:
you can get them in black too

randy's car:
Well that's exactly what my car would look like with the M7. Thanks for the pic. Still don't know if I like it though. It does seem unfinished.
-G
Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc

I still highly doubt its because of the grill. The surface area is probably pretty close between aero and oem. The holes aren't getting any bigger, and you certainly didnt make a bigger grill. My guess would be that he ran it when the temp was colder. If you can give me a reason WHY it would lower temps maybe i might have an easier time believing it....but if its just that the aero grill has "more" holes, im not gonna buy it.