motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thats different than I had been reading on NAM, at least from experiences. I knew the FSD's were not designed for use with lowering springs, but it appeared that people were having good results.
I also read a few post where people did not like the yellows with M7 springs, which caused me to look else where for springs. Maybe I should look at the M7's again. For the time being it looks like I should just get springs.
Bruiser, which shocks are you running? Hows the ride?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
Try and save the $ and get what you want the first time. If you have to ask yourself should you get springs or coil overs then you already know the answer...lol Actually though it really depends on what you are looking for. Are you wanting adjustability, ride quality, handling or just the "look"

I started out with springs and struts and wasnt happy with the combo, I switched to coil overs and never looked back.

PSS9's!!!
For now, I would like the ride to stay similar to stock, and get the "look." Adjust ability just leaves more things for me to screw up
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
μ

Just so you know I started with the koni yellows and M7 springs. I dont think the combo worked well together, at least not for me. I am sure both products are great but I didnt like them together.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Curvz View Post
For now, I would like the ride to stay similar to stock, and get the "look." Adjust ability just leaves more things for me to screw up
If you are looking for stock'ish you may want to do the h-sports and stock strut or M7 and stock struts. At least then the ride will be similar to stock but you will have the look. I think the M7's lower 1.3 and the H-Sports lower 3/4 - 1" ( I think )
Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
μ

if you have 'no money' and you're not too picky about the ride and you want to drop your car the M7 springs are not a bad choice. I had them on my car before I switched to Koni coil-overs and the ride was pretty good; on the comfy side. That's the only problem; the 05/06 struts/shocks are a little low on damping and this sometimes results in a bouncy ride with the M7 springs. I think the M7 springs could work better with the older generation struts (stronger damping) or koni yellows... just my 2 cents...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Curvz View Post
Thats different than I had been reading on NAM, at least from experiences. I knew the FSD's were not designed for use with lowering springs, but it appeared that people were having good results.
I also read a few post where people did not like the yellows with M7 springs, which caused me to look else where for springs. Maybe I should look at the M7's again. For the time being it looks like I should just get springs.
Bruiser, which shocks are you running? Hows the ride?
HAHAHA just get speings and you'll be fine......that what I have.....just springs, still have the OE shocks/struts.....finally getting a little rough after 3 1/2 years. As for the FSD's and OE dampers...it CAN be done but if you look into the what exactly the FSD's are designed to do (stiffen under load) combined with a lowering spring will cause premature wear and eventually failure of the damper itself. Of course the same can be said about a OE damper, they put up with the abuse better. As for the Koni/M7 combo......you can pretty much use ANY lowering springs with the Koni Yellows and have great results.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Guess I need to look at m7 or H&R. the ride should improve just by getting ride of the runflats.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

especially in the winter, the runflats ride really hard

Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thats what I am finding. This morning it was 15 and it was really hard.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 PM
μ

We have H-Sports and stock struts on our cooper and In my opinion it looks good and rides very near stock.

These pix were taken before the springs had a chance to settle so the car is actually a little lower than that AND if you have an S it will be slighly lower than ours even after settling.

Last edited by Brain; 07-29-2007 at 01:28 AM..
Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

i still have the H&R's if you want them dude

To everyone else....he also needs to take into account running 15s with 205/50's.....so stock height or close might look a bit odd.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
i still have the H&R's if you want them dude

To everyone else....he also needs to take into account running 15s with 205/50's.....so stock height or close might look a bit odd.
Thanks for clearing that up, i couldnt remember size.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Konky

lowering springs are better than stock springs though.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:39 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

If you like adjustability and the bling factor then coilovers are the way to go...if you want to a lil lower ride height with increased handling then springs are a good route.

I had Tein S.tech springs on my last Mini, a small drop with a good bump in performance. On my current Mini I wanted more, so I went with coilovers. I love how low I can drop the car, the dampening adjustability is a nice feature as well but sometimes its a pain finding the setting you're happy with.

The koni yellows are adjustable and should work with most springs out there. I've driven a MCS with H&R's, Tein h.techs, and M7 springs...they were all pretty soft but the handling was noticeably increased.

The M7/Espiler springs actually feel softer then stock when you're cruising but when you start pushing it in the corners they tighten up. And they provide the best drop I've seen from the other springs out on the market IMO
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Also, there are good low priced coilover options out there. Try ebay!

You can find good deals on KW V1's, Tein basics, Megan's, Koni's