motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by werD View Post
Debate/decision time...

I have a 1997 Klein Pulse Pro. It's a wonderful bike and serves me well for ripping down the trail.

But, it is wearing and I need to decide if I should upgrade it or retire it to a corner with some love as a collector's piece (Klein frames alone still get good coin these days... Not that I plan on selling it ever).

Part of me really wants to invest in it and upgrade (front disc, new shock, etc.). But, the vintage of the bike makes finding parts like rim brake compatible wheels more and more difficult...

What do the masses think? Save pennies and get a new bike (OMG expensive these days for a similar "caliber" bike) or upgrade this hardtail for today's trail?
I have an even older Klein vintage 85 if I recall correctly. I wanted to update it a bit and tried to find as much new tech IE: Cf as I could make fit. The forks were a stroke of luck as Marzocchi had just done a run of 1' stem front forks for a special order that was returned and I was able to score a set. I kept all the old parts if I want toot put it back to vintage at some point. I wouldn't mind putting a disc brake setup on it at some point and would really love to find some replacement Klein logos if the exist.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
μ

Old 05-26-2014, 04:59 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

I finally got out. 19 miles yesterday and 15 today. First mtn rides of the season, and some of the trails were still pretty muddy. I definitely need to let some air out of my rear shock since I'm 15+ lbs lighter than the last time I was on the bike.

After some issues with Garmin and Strava, I decided to log my own rides on my website. Threw this together recently, but I need better icons to represent road & mountain rides.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmini View Post
I have an even older Klein vintage 85 if I recall correctly. I wanted to update it a bit and tried to find as much new tech IE: Cf as I could make fit. The forks were a stroke of luck as Marzocchi had just done a run of 1' stem front forks for a special order that was returned and I was able to score a set. I kept all the old parts if I want toot put it back to vintage at some point. I wouldn't mind putting a disc brake setup on it at some point and would really love to find some replacement Klein logos if the exist.
I hope you've only loosely clamped the top tube in that stand...

I'll ask around and see if Gary (actually, his wife) or any of his old crew have recommendations on sourcing really decent ones. I know they are out there as a lot of Klein owners are getting resprays to match original spec, just never looked for the decals. Are your logos really decals or the reverse embossed deal? My Klein road bike is reverse embossed, mountain bike is a regular decal...

The fork is the deal breaker for me if I can't find a reasonable disc/100mm travel (or less) unit then it is really not worth pursuing like CoolDaddy noted.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 AM
μ

sorry guys, not making fun of your vintages bikes, but even some upgrades don't make for much of an improvement. As cool as Klein's are (although I've never been a fan of them) they are relics of 10+ years ago. Super stiff frames, loooooooooooong stems, rim brakes, 90's geometry, etc. If you don't want to spend much money, get a new 29er hardtail, keeps the cost down, size up so you can run a shorter stem, they all come with disk brakes and better working gears, fork, etc. You guys are 'cute' with your old Klein collection lol. (trust me, I know old bikes and new bikes. I'm old too)

Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 AM
μ

Quote:
I hope you've only loosely clamped the top tube in that stand...

I'll ask around and see if Gary (actually, his wife) or any of his old crew have recommendations on sourcing really decent ones. I know they are out there as a lot of Klein owners are getting resprays to match original spec, just never looked for the decals. Are your logos really decals or the reverse embossed deal? My Klein road bike is reverse embossed, mountain bike is a regular decal...

The fork is the deal breaker for me if I can't find a reasonable disc/100mm travel (or less) unit then it is really not worth pursuing like CoolDaddy noted.
Thanks for looking into the decal issue and yes it is a decal . As for the clamp , loose it was , that frame wall is on the thin side which is a good thing

Randy

Last edited by maxmini; 05-26-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Old 06-01-2014, 10:36 PM
μ

My Klein doesn't have a long stem (maybe 2"), nor does its geometry differ much from any of the 26" hardtails out there today. Wheelbase is similar, head angle, etc. Nor is it really 'cute'. Just a basic black paint job with some nicks from years of bangin' across trails.

Everybody has their opinion I guess, I've just never had anybody be jerky towards me about owning one or asking questions about upgrading in general.

It is numbing to see the prices on bikes today, looks like $3-$5K for a mid-range bike. Oy.

Randy, what color are you wanting on the decals? Black or white? Not sure what is available, thought it best to check for preference.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to oreo Send a message via Yahoo to oreo

My best climbing bike of all time is still my '92 AlpineStars Al-Mega.

Unfortunately, this happened:

Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 AM
μ

Quote:
My Klein doesn't have a long stem (maybe 2"), nor does its geometry differ much from any of the 26" hardtails out there today. Wheelbase is similar, head angle, etc. Nor is it really 'cute'. Just a basic black paint job with some nicks from years of bangin' across trails.

Everybody has their opinion I guess, I've just never had anybody be jerky towards me about owning one or asking questions about upgrading in general.

It is numbing to see the prices on bikes today, looks like $3-$5K for a mid-range bike. Oy.
I've been called a dick a few times but 'jerky', that's new. Sorry for being 'jerky'. I don't think your bike is cute, I think hanging on to older generation bikes and not seeing any differences with newer bikes is. Been there, done that. You can get a better new bike for less than the $3K you mention, but 'jerky' me won't help point them out Good luck and lets ride instead of argue over bikes over the internets

Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 AM
μ

There are plenty of differences between old & new bikes, but I'm not sure they would effect my ride enough to warrant the investment, that's where I'm headed with my cuteness.

And I don't recall asking anybody to help point out any new bikes.

But, any of that jerkiness aside, yes - to the trails.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 PM
μ

yesterday

Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Your dogs are living the life.....
They must get pretty excited when they know they'll be running in the backwoods....
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM
μ

Yup, they love going on a ride. Mine is properly disappointed when I don't load him in the car with the bike and gear, unless he's still tired from the last ride. He can't go on most of my rides because of leash laws or simply because they're too long for him, but on the right trail, at the right time, in the right place, having a trail dog on your ride is great fun for everyone.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 PM
μ

Quote:

Randy, what color are you wanting on the decals? Black or white? Not sure what is available, thought it best to check for preference.
Thanks for looking into this for me .

The original color was white so that would be the preferred choice .

Thank you
Old 06-03-2014, 02:11 AM
μ

Randy - check these out.

No vintages listed as old as yours, but pretty close I think. And, Jon Rock has the best around quality wise.

So far, no options for stateside shops carrying anything similar that anybody recommends. But, still scratching around to see if any decent options surface.