motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag

Old 03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
μ

Question Does Phil Wicks encourage dirty racing?

More to come from AMVIV...

Last edited by iDiaz; 04-09-2007 at 05:24 PM..
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not surprising. Phil Wicks is a low roller.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Who the **** is Phil Wicks? and tell him this guy from Montreal, Canada, will paint his back porch red...
Old 03-24-2007, 04:36 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to MrBattle

what a douchecock... its war

Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Leadership

So what happened? I heard there was some rough racing.

Did anybody get a look at my car in the MC2 Showcase BS? Any pics of it?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

LOL, Have you dudes ever watched the MINI series in England?? Compared to that the Wicks racing is a Sunday afternoon drive.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotelcalif View Post
LOL, Have you dudes ever watched the MINI series in England?? Compared to that the Wicks racing is a Sunday afternoon drive.
No defacatory material!

But it would have been more fair to let us know upfront we were going to have to deal with UK style dirty tricks. It was obvious that Gareth Nixon was used to large fields of identically prepared cars where wits and a few strategic pokes separate the winners from the whiners. He dragged his wing all around the pits in the morning, sandbagged qualifying, passed pole-sitter Bob for the lead on the inside in the first race, then took pole at the re-start while the tow truck cleaned that abominable "instructor" Porsche off the wall, then lost his position when Bob passed him cleanly inside in return. Bob suffered a broken shifter cable coming onto the front straight and had to go fishing for a gear. Instead of pulling alongside and drag racing for Turn One, which he could have done, Gareth turned left and neatly pushed Bob's rear quarter panel into his rear tire, forcing Bob's retirement.

I begged Bob to let me drive his car in the second race so I could put Gareth on his roof. It's really easy if you have the fastest car and pick your spot. But Bob's used to the US style where you race hard but don't have to play demolition derby to win and wouldn't go for it. Damn!

When a protest was lodged, Phil's rather cavalier reply was "Rubbin' is racin'". Rubbin' is one thing, intentionally turning into your opponent to put him out of the race is another. Gareth was driving someone else's car and was imported from UK to "show the Yanks how to do it." He had a lot to prove and nothing to lose. If the series is going to be about the last man standing, then I'm not sure how many owners are going to be willing to expose their cars to it in the future. Conspicuously absent were last year participants MINI Mania, MINI Madness and Randy Webb.

Last edited by Siddhartha; 03-26-2007 at 05:16 AM..
Old 03-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sid speaks the truth... Gareth showed not one ounce of true skill and would have been sucking exhaust from Bob's car all day...

I was horribly dissapointed with the response from the officials that were preaching such safety to us in the Novice classroom all day. I truly hope to see Bob run again, without the lamer Crumpet Monkey Gareth pulling his low brow racing.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:46 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via AIM to TheBlackBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike View Post
Sid speaks the truth... Gareth showed not one ounce of true skill and would have been sucking exhaust from Bob's car all day...

I was horribly dissapointed with the response from the officials that were preaching such safety to us in the Novice classroom all day. I truly hope to see Bob run again, without the lamer Crumpet Monkey Gareth pulling his low brow racing.
Sooo, you raced against him? Curb your thoughts before you know the whole truth. Gareth is not the only one who demonstrated ballsy racing, and fingers should not be pointed at just one racer. For those of you in the stands, our friend Bob tried some very risky moves himself. His choice to go with a BBK and ditch the ABS might not have been the best decision for him as he locked up his tires at half the corners he attempted to brake for. From my seat, Gareth is no more responsible for the contact that happened on the front straight than Bob was.

And how do you guys come off blaming Phil? Because he didn't take the protest submission from Bobs team? I don't want to see rubbing in any of the events either, but this race was not so cut and dry as some of you have heard from your buddies. Bad decisions were made from all members involved.

I am just sad Randy (RSR Motorsports Grand-AM car) was involved after dropping back because of the first incident.

I hope you people realize that this type of racing is not smiled upon by Phil's organization.

-Brian
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for some info Brian. It was 7 posts of blaming until someone filled those of us that weren't there in. But that was fairly one-sided. It would be nice to hear both sides of the event before people are condemned.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Sorry Brian you're out of line...you've got no place trying to tell me to keep my mouth shut and insinuating that I don't know the whole truth.

Explain a few things here... if Bob's driving was so "risky" and he made a poor choice to go with "BBK and ditch the ABS" how is it he was able to take the pole and set a new track record for the MINI the same record set by last years Challenge Champ?

People there saw it, Gareth made a pass and Bob re-took the position, seconds later Gareth "strategically" nudged Bob's rear ending his day.

NO.. I didn't race him BUT I drove that track all day with my car, and I know and can attest to anyone who wasn't at the track that there was more than enough room for Gareth to have taken Bob on the side coming along the front straight... easily room to run 3 wide... if you have that kind of room you CAN avoid hitting someone.

I'm not close to Bob... never met him or shook his hand before Friday, even then only after the incident that ended his day. So don't go thinking I'm some fan-boy.

One last thought... I said I was dissapointed in the response by officials... I never blamed the Wicks org for what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBrian View Post
Sooo, you raced against him? Curb your thoughts before you know the whole truth. Gareth is not the only one who demonstrated ballsy racing, and fingers should not be pointed at just one racer. For those of you in the stands, our friend Bob tried some very risky moves himself. His choice to go with a BBK and ditch the ABS might not have been the best decision for him as he locked up his tires at half the corners he attempted to brake for. From my seat, Gareth is no more responsible for the contact that happened on the front straight than Bob was.

And how do you guys come off blaming Phil? Because he didn't take the protest submission from Bobs team? I don't want to see rubbing in any of the events either, but this race was not so cut and dry as some of you have heard from your buddies. Bad decisions were made from all members involved.

I am just sad Randy (RSR Motorsports Grand-AM car) was involved after dropping back because of the first incident.

I hope you people realize that this type of racing is not smiled upon by Phil's organization.

-Brian
Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
μ

Welcome to the M|U "Theblackbrian".
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via AIM to TheBlackBrian

I think my statment was misunderstood. I am not saying Gareth did not make a bad decision, I am saying that both parties were responsible for the carnage that occured.

From what I witnessed of Bob's racing (yes, he was the fastest car in Quali, and rightfully so) he made many poor choices that makes me less sympathetic to his cause. He was involved in two seperate accidents, one of which WAS his fault. The officials were aware of this, which is why the protest was not taken.

And as for the you guys ganging up on Wicks, what is the name of this thread?

-Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike View Post
Sorry Brian you're out of line...you've got no place trying to tell me to keep my mouth shut and insinuating that I don't know the whole truth.

Explain a few things here... if Bob's driving was so "risky" and he made a poor choice to go with "BBK and ditch the ABS" how is it he was able to take the pole and set a new track record for the MINI the same record set by last years Challenge Champ?

People there saw it, Gareth made a pass and Bob re-took the position, seconds later Gareth "strategically" nudged Bob's rear ending his day.

NO.. I didn't race him BUT I drove that track all day with my car, and I know and can attest to anyone who wasn't at the track that there was more than enough room for Gareth to have taken Bob on the side coming along the front straight... easily room to run 3 wide... if you have that kind of room you CAN avoid hitting someone.

I'm not close to Bob... never met him or shook his hand before Friday, even then only after the incident that ended his day. So don't go thinking I'm some fan-boy.

One last thought... I said I was dissapointed in the response by officials... I never blamed the Wicks org for what happened.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM
μ

Welcome black brian.....

the only thing I am going to say is punting is not rubbing... the guys in the UK series from what I understand are given thier cars... you gimme a free ride.... and put me out there with every one... I'll be out there rubbing too.... but not punting...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

so... the first six people in this thread are against what happened...
one person contests it and condemns everyone involved in the "bashing"...

you are a racer, and im guessing that from your screen name cause it "sounds familiar" and reminds me of a user i respect and admire that ive seen on NAM... (sincerely, not sarcastically)

i sadly missed the events

fyi, this is a smaller board in comparison to some other forums and no one is attacking you. true, some are not serious racers like you, gareth, randy, bob, and others. but be honest, you did come out with your fists balled up...

granted, i personally appreciate your opinion and your point of view. but take it easy, we are not all like the 7 earlier posts in this thread. this board and this thread are filled with understanding/rational people.

no attacking phil wicks... no attacking you... no attacking bob... etc.

your opinion is appreciated as much as everyone else's.
let it flow... let's not turn this into a "you're right, you're wrong" thread.

stuff happened. people talk sh!t... let everyone talk ish... afterall, you did, and everyone else is about to, without the two racers in question.

welcome to m|u