motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

Send a message via AIM to TheBlackBrian

Thank you. I came out with my fists raised because the title of this thread pissed me off. I was not trying to attack any particular member, but rather trying to straighten out the facts. My online personality may come off harsh at times because of my passion. I apologize... (I also had just finished driving 9 hours in a droning tin can, so I was a little iratable)

That being said, I still believe no particular racer can be blamed for what happened. It was a "racing incident". They happen.

And just to clearify, I was driving in the race (#5).

-Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
so... the first six people in this thread are against what happened...
one person contests it and condemns everyone involved in the "bashing"...

you are a racer, and im guessing that from your screen name cause it "sounds familiar" and reminds me of a user i respect and admire that ive seen on NAM... (sincerely, not sarcastically)

i sadly missed the events

fyi, this is a smaller board in comparison to some other forums and no one is attacking you. true, some are not serious racers like you, gareth, randy, bob, and others. but be honest, you did come out with your fists balled up...

granted, i personally appreciate your opinion and your point of view. but take it easy, we are not all like the 7 earlier posts in this thread. this board and this thread are filled with understanding/rational people.

no attacking phil wicks... no attacking you... no attacking bob... etc.

your opinion is appreciated as much as everyone else's.
let it flow... let's not turn this into a "you're right, you're wrong" thread.

stuff happened. people talk sh!t... let everyone talk ish... afterall, you did, and everyone else is about to, without the two racers in question.

welcome to m|u
Old 03-26-2007, 09:09 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to hollis3

welcome to m|u brian.

(for the moment, i am going to get sleep before posting on the subject... a bit of the caffeine shakes from no sleep... )
Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to astra Send a message via Yahoo to astra

and we will always be most sympathetic to one of our own........

mess with our family... we become displeased.......
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 AM
μ

Ok, here is my opinion on not only "what happened," but why I agree with the title of this thread, and why the race bummed me out.

I want to get this out of the discussion... If we would like to discuss it, that's fine - but not in context to the thread title.
ABS... Yes, Bob went with the choice that many of the other USTCC drivers chose... Lose the ABS and stock brakes. This was neither a quick choice, nor an unusual one for the series... The car is ready for USTCC and cannot be quickly switched back for other series. If this was not a car modification possible for the MINI series, it would have been helpful to know.

Ok, now my thoughts (as useless as they usually are)....

The first concern of mine is that the first race was postponed in order for one of the race cars to finish repairs. No other professional race series would do this. By doing so, this clearly differentiates this series from professional series.

Second - There is a diffence between "incidents" on the track and intentional hitting, or as well stated "strategic" hits.
The incident with Randy was just that, an incident. I witnessed Randy and Bob discuss it after the race. To summarize, both figuratively shook hands. That was clearly a racing incident. As Bob said, he should not have tried to overtake at that corner, and Randy said he should have given Bob more racing room. Of course that was partially on Bob - but that was a racing incident.

While reviewing the tape from the race, the hit with Gareth was different. Gareth had at least 3 car widths of clear room to overtake Bob. Instead, he chose to strategicly hit Bob. With that kind of room, and with this occuring after the turn, it could have easily been avoided.

Yes, I was the one that approached Phil to ask him about it. Was it a real "contesting?" no... I learned real quick how pointless that would be.

Third - I agree with the thread title - Phil Wicks does encourage dirty racing.
When I asked Phil if those types of hits are allowed, he laughed as he said "Rubbing is Racing." He further asked me if I had seen the SCCA runoffs and if I had seen the other MINI Challenges. His exact statements do show me that it is encouraged.

For me it is quite simple - This is not SCCA nor is it a MINI sanctioned series. These are personal cars not bumper cars. Sure, if they were spec cars provided by MINI, then it would be a different story. But really, for a series that stops the race to make sure everyone can drive, it is not condusive to encourage "strategic" hits to a car. There is not enough sponsorship money for any of you to have to continuously pay for repairs.

I am bummed that the MINI community does not have a MINI racing series that is good for all of you drivers. I respect you guys... I told you- Brian and I told Way this last weekend. But I do feel that this type of series will not attract many participants. I really wish we could get this community together to further MINI racing. There was enough drama with last-year's series to start it up again. Maybe next year....
Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Ok, I see your point of view, and will respect it. But, what do you suggest we do to help out the series? I am one who has been swept by Phil's vision for the future, and want to see it succeed. I think each problem he encounters can be a leason on how to build a respected organization.

Starting threads with hot-headed titles does not help. If you really do feel the orginization needs help, please e-mail me BrianDBlack@gmail.com. I will try my best to relay the information to Phil. I see myself as a good freind of both him and his wife, so maybe he will listen to what I have to say.

-Brian
Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 AM
μ

sounds good brian, i will try to put some ideas down, because i would also like to see a successful series..

and once again - welcome to mu.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 AM
OG Bitches

Anything without "Jinky" in the title is doomed to failure. Just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky View Post
Anything without "Jinky" in the title is doomed to failure. Just my opinion.

You still want me to take the MININUT sticker off the rear bumper, or am I still an honorary member?

-Brian
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
μ

hmmm... the jinky series... that would be where after the race, we all get drunk, and either naked or in a nice tux and play bumper cars with go-karts... now that could be fun
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 AM
OG Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackBrian View Post

You still want me to take the MININUT sticker off the rear bumper, or am I still an honorary member?

-Brian
Honorary? Hmmm? Have you turned 21 yet? We do have an initiation ritual you know.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
OG Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis3 View Post
hmmm... the jinky series... that would be where after the race, we all get drunk, and either naked or in a nice tux and play bumper cars with go-karts... now that could be fun
The Jinky Naked Tux Bumper Bowl.

I like it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky View Post
Honorary? Hmmm? Have you turned 21 yet? We do have an initiation ritual you know.
Alright, next AMVIV then.

-Brian
Old 03-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Hollis has as usual penetrated to the heart of the matter: money.

He's right, if spec racecars were provided, there would definitely be more rubbing, punting, tactics and foul play. I'm sure the "blood and circuses" NASCAR mentality race fans would appreciate it. However, the entrants (save one) in Phil's series are privately owned tuner cars. There is no spec, or, more accurately there are 4 or 5 specs so more cars can run, bringing the field up to 6 or 8. That's because there still is no sponsor money for a spec series despite all the talk and wishing.

Like Brian, I too was seduced by Phil's vision, but after 6 months of working with him, I became disillusioned and bowed out. There was too much talk and too little result. The NAMCRS was and remains an interesting, low participant sidebar in the MINI story.

MINI's currently run in NASA's USTCC and in Grand Am and are prepared to very specific requirements. They race for points and trophies. THAT's where the serious racers are and that's where we need more MINI racers, not in some staged media event with more half naked women in the paddock than racecars.

And I saw Gareth turn left, place his left front against Bob's car, lift it about 6 inches off the ground and crumple his rear quarterpanel into the tire. There was plenty of room on Gareth's right. It was definitely a planned move.

Last edited by Siddhartha; 03-27-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
μ

Since I'm the one that started this thread, let me say a few things...

First, thank you to everyone who has participated in this discussion and thank you for keeping it clean.

Second, the title of this thread is inflammatory and not typical of something you would see on this site. I did it on my own and not at the direction of the μ team.

Third, I'm very saddened by these events. I have been a fan of Phil Wicks and the things he does for the MINI community here in the US. I proudly display my driving academy certificate in my office. I have also posted several times on different forums my support for the academy.

I hope Phil will change his policy on allowing these tactics in the series.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
...not in some staged media event with more half naked women in the paddock than racecars.
So the racing was "dirty" on more than one dimension. Nice.