motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default EBC Rotors and Pads

What's the word on EBC Greenstuff Pads and Rotors? I was thinking about picking up a set of the Greenstuff pads to replace my dust monster OEM pads. I just got a catalog from Atlantic British and they are selling EBC greenstuff pads and rotors complete front and rear set for $399. The rotors say dimpled and look like drilled and slotted rotors. I'm not sure if they are drilled or not. Doesn't seem to be a bad price if they are not crap.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via MSN to xxTHIR13ENxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxTHIR13ENxx

I've had EBC greenstuff pads (all around) on my car for a little over 3 years now (second set, though - I drive hard, and daily, what can I say... lol)

But I highly recomend them. They stop much better than stock, MUCH less dust, and no noise (unless you're running old rotors).

I just recently did a front swap for my dad's Cooper, too. He got the EBC's for the fronts only and since one of his rotors was severely damaged, we swaped with one of my old ones... But I believe he will be hearing some noise sooner than expected due to new pads on old rotors...

Anyways, my point in this rather blabberish post is that I have the EBCs, and like how they work, I have not had their rotors installed nor read/heard of anybody that did (so no help on that one), but I can tell you that 1. if you're going for EBC pads, also opt to get new rotors, too. And 2. for that price, a full set is a no-brainer.

Hope this helps some, let me know if you need instructions on pads/rotors - it's pretty simple...

Take care,
Leo.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 AM
OG Bitches

This is second hand quote. I think I saw the same question on NAM and someone claimed the rotors are a little noisy. For what it's worth.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Kelli has the rotors and front pads, they are drilled and slotted, look good and stop well. I have been told that drilled rotors are prone to cracking if the car is going to be run on the track. Her car has not been tracked and the rotors are holding up well. The rear EBC pads were gone after 15,000 miles so they didn't last long. I just changed those to mintex:

Click the image to open in full size.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 AM
OG Bitches

I think he is talking about these:

Old 03-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky View Post
I think he is talking about these:

Bingo! Thats the kit. They look drilled and slotted, but the ad says "dimpled and offer a wider slot...."

Coopersport says they are blind drilled....meaning they are not drilled completely through the rotor right?

EBC has a pretty good rep in the Land Rover world.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I see, we got the EBC rotors that are drilled

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers
Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

I've run stock, EBC Greenstuff, Ferodo DS2500, and Hawk HP+, and of all of those, the EBC Greenstuff seemed to be the poorest performer when it came to brake fade and pedal feel. Running a very steep, very windy downhill canyon in Southern California, the EBC Greenstuff gave up way earlier than the stock pads ever did, so I ended up abandoning them before they were even worn out. I was also a bit disappointed with their marketing push of "less dust". They produce the same amount of dust as other pads, it's just tan-colored instead of black, so your wheels just look dirty instead of dusty. If you're interested in an OEM replacement pad with less apparent dust, go for these, but if you're a spirited driver that wants improved braking, read on...

The Ferodo DS2500 is my favorite pad thus far. It dusts less than stock, pedal feel is tighter and slightly more aggressive than stock when cold, but put a little bit of heat into them on a spirited run and they come alive, tenaciously gripping the rotor even under all-out time trial conditions. The only downfalls are that they're expensive and they're noisier than stock, so if your wallet won't tolerate ~$250 for a set of pads, or can't stand brake squeal, stick to the stockers.

Next best thing is Hawk HP+. In my opinion, they provide 90% of the braking performance of the Ferodo DS2500, at a considerable discount. The only downfall with these is that they squeal like stuck pigs sometimes, so don't even think about buying them if you don't like watching pedestrians curl into a fetal position as you come to a stop. To give you an idea of how loud they are, I've been sitting in the back room at my house watching TV, and I know when Paul (Bruiser) rolls up when I think to myself, "Why is there a city bus stopping in front of my house?"

The next set of brake pads I buy will be Hawk HP+, most likely. For the price, you can't beat 'em.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to astra Send a message via Yahoo to astra

I ripped through the Green Pads pretty quick. the original EBC rotors were drilled and slotted. WIth heavy use, they crack. the new rotors are dimpled so should NOT crack.

I have power slots.

WIth ferodo pads, I got a lot of low speed screech.

I am running red pads all the way around.. not very good while cold ,but excellent once warmed up.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post

Next best thing is Hawk HP+. In my opinion, they provide 90% of the braking performance of the Ferodo DS2500, at a considerable discount. The only downfall with these is that they squeal like stuck pigs sometimes, so don't even think about buying them if you don't like watching pedestrians curl into a fetal position as you come to a stop. To give you an idea of how loud they are, I've been sitting in the back room at my house watching TV, and I know when Paul (Bruiser) rolls up when I think to myself, "Why is there a city bus stopping in front of my house?"

The next set of brake pads I buy will be Hawk HP+, most likely. For the price, you can't beat 'em.
HAHAHAHAH This description needs to be on Hawk's website!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
The only downfall with these is that they squeal like stuck pigs sometimes, so don't even think about buying them if you don't like watching pedestrians curl into a fetal position as you come to a stop. To give you an idea of how loud they are, I've been sitting in the back room at my house watching TV, and I know when Paul (Bruiser) rolls up when I think to myself, "Why is there a city bus stopping in front of my house?"
Thats a great visual! I've already found out I can scare deer with the engine and SC spooling up.

Lower dust would be great, but the wife won't put up with the noise. The very minimal squeeking now has her asking about new brakes. How's the brake dust on sticking to the boot with the EBCs? With the PW/B it's a huge pain if you let it go too long. Little shards of rotor and brake pad get stuck to the boot and are a pain to get off.

So is there a low dust, quiet, pad replacement that offers better than stock performance?

Every time I start looking at pads, I get into rotors, lines, bushings, fluid and are up into the $600 range. The next point that comes to mind is...."If I really want a BBK, then why spend $$$ on brake upgrades?" Then I price BBKs, give up and start pricing pads again. The reality is that it would be a lot of $ to spend for BBK bling. Performance wise I'd be fine with the $600 upgrades.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsMotor View Post

Thats a great visual! I've already found out I can scare deer with the engine and SC spooling up.

Lower dust would be great, but the wife won't put up with the noise. The very minimal squeeking now has her asking about new brakes. How's the brake dust on sticking to the boot with the EBCs? With the PW/B it's a huge pain if you let it go too long. Little shards of rotor and brake pad get stuck to the boot and are a pain to get off.

So is there a low dust, quiet, pad replacement that offers better than stock performance?

Every time I start looking at pads, I get into rotors, lines, bushings, fluid and are up into the $600 range. The next point that comes to mind is...."If I really want a BBK, then why spend $$$ on brake upgrades?" Then I price BBKs, give up and start pricing pads again. The reality is that it would be a lot of $ to spend for BBK bling. Performance wise I'd be fine with the $600 upgrades.
Hm, can't say I've ever attributed the crap that is stuck to my boot to brake dust, but I guess that probably could be part of it. Since I never knowingly observed that, I can't really say whether you'll experience any difference in that respect with the EBC Greenstuff.

Some people have had good experience with Mintex Redbox, but I've never tried them, so I don't know. Noise also has a lot to do with how you drive. If you drive pretty conservatively and never put enough heat into your pads to get them into that grippy operating temperature, you probably won't get them hot enough for them to squeal a whole lot. BUT... if you do any autocross, canyon, or track driving, and you do bring them up to temps, they will squeal like mad once they cool down. Conservative driving will quiet them down eventually, but you'll have to deal with the noise 'til then. I've found this to be true with just about any pad, including the stockers.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It might not be brake pad pieces. To me they look like little metal bits that have rusted. I always figured they were hot bake pad pieces that flung up and stuck to the boot. Washing does not remove them all. I only got about 85% of them removed with a mild clay bar. I've got some more aggressive stuff to try before the next wax.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsMotor View Post
It might not be brake pad pieces. To me they look like little metal bits that have rusted. I always figured they were hot bake pad pieces that flung up and stuck to the boot. Washing does not remove them all. I only got about 85% of them removed with a mild clay bar. I've got some more aggressive stuff to try before the next wax.
Get a professional Meguiars Clay Bar and rub the crap out of that "industrial fallout"........that's what stuck to the boot....crap falling onto the paint from freeway driving and railways......
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Everything else came off the Mini with the O'Reilly's bought Mequiars Quick Clay kit. There was still about 15% left on the boot after multiple passes. I've got the Mequiar's red clay now, but have yet to put it on the Mini.