motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 01-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Retired

Ray: I got a 2006 Solar Red / Silver MC back in the middle of November. There are some some pictures of it in this thread and some more on my site. I still have my '02 MCS, but I need to get my act together and get it sold. BTW, when is the PW MCS showing up?

Andrew: quite a few of the higher mileage MINIs that I know about have had this problem on one strut tower. It is "fixable". That said, I'd like to prevent it, and not have to deform the mushroomed metal back into shape.

Last edited by Dave; 01-20-2006 at 04:29 PM..
Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
[color=white]

Andrew: quite a few of the higher mileage MINIs that I know about have had this problem on one strut tower. It is "fixable". That said, I'd like to prevent it, and not have to deform the mushroomed metal back into shape.
Yah, my next MINI will have the M7 strut brace or the SRP's depending on money. Best way to solve a problem is to stop it before it starts
Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Strom Send a message via MSN to Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis3
Has the gap settled Strom?
A little bit, but not entirely. I can take pictures later this weekend, hopefully.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:22 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Dave, good stuff...nice Cooper! The BRG and PW MCS's should be here by June. It'll be worth the wait!

Even if the Mini is already so rigid, heres another reason to get the strut brace.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:42 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Samtrak

i like mushrooms

just not when its happening to my strut towers. ..... like it unfortunately is.

MINI RSR- 2004 MCS______MINI....FTW !
1986 Toyota Van
1997 E36 M3 sedan slicktop w/LS1 swap
1990 R32 GTR sedan w/RB26DETT SOLD
S54/E36/8 2001 M Coupe SOLD
Slugbut the 2002 WRX Wagon SOLD

seriousrrry
Old 01-21-2006, 05:24 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

I don't understand how a plate on top is going to prevent this problem. The strut pushes up the metal at the mounting bolts giving a gap between the top plate and the mushroomed metal. Wouldn't it be better to have something underneath between the strut and the tower?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:36 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley
I don't understand how a plate on top is going to prevent this problem. The strut pushes up the metal at the mounting bolts giving a gap between the top plate and the mushroomed metal. Wouldn't it be better to have something underneath between the strut and the tower?
Well, it doesn't exactly push at the mounting bolts, from what I've seen. It looks like the whole assembly underneath pushes up on the flat part between the bolts.

I do agree, though--a strong, thick camber plate that resists deformation and more evenly spreads the forces to the strut tower would probably prevent it more than adding a plate on top.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:54 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz
Well, it doesn't exactly push at the mounting bolts, from what I've seen. It looks like the whole assembly underneath pushes up on the flat part between the bolts.

I do agree, though--a strong, thick camber plate that resists deformation and more evenly spreads the forces to the strut tower would probably prevent it more than adding a plate on top.

These are my thoughts exactly ! I do think the plates look slick though.

I have the rdr/helix camber plates and they have a nice thick pad that provides support to the BOTTOM of the strut tower.

Not saying these plates wont help but they are like putting on a band aid when you need stitches.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:28 PM
μ

There is no doubt that a plate underneath is the better solution . As with many of our products the item in question was designed to fit into a particular market. That market is the peson that wants to prevent a problem from happening but would prefer to spend $ 105 and 20 min in his driveway verses the more devoted owner . The RDR plates are excellent even tho they raise the front of the car a bit , cost a bit more than $105 and require the front struts to be removed , re installed and if done properly you get the car realigned as well.

Rdr's $ 500
install $ 100
alignemnt $ 150
all day at steve's pricless

approx total $ 750

STR $ 105,00
beer $ 3.50

total $ 108.50

Is a good camber plate the BEST way to go ? Absolutly ! For those of you prepared to do that ,as I was ,be my guest. For those of you looking for a more economical way to ge the job done we have provided an alternative .

Randy
M7 Tuning
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIbanez
Dave, good stuff...nice Cooper! The BRG and PW MCS's should be here by June. It'll be worth the wait!
I didn't realize you were getting a BRG S too. Very nice.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmini
There is no doubt that a plate underneath is the better solution . As with many of our products the item in question was designed to fit into a particular market. That market is the peson that wants to prevent a problem from happening but would prefer to spend $ 105 and 20 min in his driveway verses the more devoted owner . The RDR plates are excellent even tho they raise the front of the car a bit , cost a bit more than $105 and require the front struts to be removed , re installed and if done properly you get the car realigned as well.

Rdr's $ 500
install $ 100
alignemnt $ 150
all day at steve's pricless

approx total $ 750

STR $ 105,00
beer $ 3.50

total $ 108.50

Is a good camber plate the BEST way to go ? Absolutly ! For those of you prepared to do that ,as I was ,be my guest. For those of you looking for a more economical way to ge the job done we have provided an alternative .

Randy
M7 Tuning
This is kind of what I was thinking as well. For now, for me, this would be a better solution. My car is bleeding me dry right now. Guess that's what happens when stuff's on sale and you get christmas money burning a hole in your pocket.

I guess my question for any of you guys is are these M7 plates a viable solution for an almost strictly street car.

I could see myself tracking the car maybe once a year. I'm going to the garage tomorrow night to get an estimate for putting on my h-sports and just want to be able to put together a true cost of what I need for my suspension. I don't want to surprise my finance manager(wife) with any unplanned expenses.
-G
Old 01-23-2006, 05:20 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff
This is kind of what I was thinking as well. For now, for me, this would be a better solution. My car is bleeding me dry right now. Guess that's what happens when stuff's on sale and you get christmas money burning a hole in your pocket.

I guess my question for any of you guys is are these M7 plates a viable solution for an almost strictly street car.

I could see myself tracking the car maybe once a year. I'm going to the garage tomorrow night to get an estimate for putting on my h-sports and just want to be able to put together a true cost of what I need for my suspension. I don't want to surprise my finance manager(wife) with any unplanned expenses.
-G
You sound like our target market. These are for the street driver who is in an area where there are rough roads as in pot holes , construction or rough canyons. They offer NO suspension performance increase but will prevent your suspension going bad from mushrooming. Those that track frequently should already be using adjustable camber plates or they will be going slower and using up tires at a really rapid rate. the track guys are not our prime market. Think of it this way the plates wont go " bad " and when you are ready to go for camber plates or a strut tower you should be able to re sell them and get a good portion of your money back.

Randy
m7 Tuning
Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I didn't realize you were getting a BRG S too. Very nice.
BRG for me PW for the GF

How are the Irelands against mushrooming? Brit?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:50 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmini
You sound like our target market. These are for the street driver who is in an area where there are rough roads as in pot holes , construction or rough canyons. They offer NO suspension performance increase but will prevent your suspension going bad from mushrooming. Those that track frequently should already be using adjustable camber plates or they will be going slower and using up tires at a really rapid rate. the track guys are not our prime market. Think of it this way the plates wont go " bad " and when you are ready to go for camber plates or a strut tower you should be able to re sell them and get a good portion of your money back.

Randy
m7 Tuning
Sounds good. I appreciate the response and will probably make a move towards getting these if I don't have any major camber issues that absolutely mandate plates. Thanks again.
-G
Old 01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
μ

Curious...
Can the strut bar that these were derived from be added to these plates later? What are the pros & cons of the bar? I know they'll make the front more rigid (an explanation of what this means in the real world would be great...Ivan? ) but I've heard that's kinda unnecessary for a primarily street car.

I only ask because the bar and plates in only $90 more that the plates by themselves. Not that I have an extra $90 to spend right now but If I was ever going to get the bar it would make sense to get it instead of getting solely the plates.
-G