motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Checkered Flag Track-related discussion, including both racing and high-performance driving events.

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > Checkered Flag
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default el diablito has secret plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
Last Man Standing

Everyone's gone.

In spite of some new tricky Hubie Tubing, Bob's car went into limp mode every time he tried to execute turn 2. On the trailer.

Vince and Mickey had a good day, but they packed it in too. I am back to solo here. I saw one other Mini, belonging to Cindy, but I haven't seen any more of her either.

I guess I scared off Sparky. Too bad. That wasn't my intention. My goal is to bring everyone along so I'll have someone to play with on the track. I'm tired of being the only Mini in my class. Where is that younger, faster, prettier driver they're always telling me is out there?
Sid,
what is "allowed" for engine mods in your class?

TIA
jan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Siddhartha's Avatar
Siddhartha Siddhartha is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reno
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablito View Post
Sid,
what is "allowed" for engine mods in your class?

TIA
jan
You'll have to check the NASA TT rulebook which is online on their site. There's a formula for figuring it out. You start with a class designation, then you add and subtract points depending on what's on your car. Too many points and you're bumped up a class. It's a very useful grading system and makes for some superb competition. Right now I'm duking it out with an R32. Sometimes I beat him, sometimes he beats me.

But I'll tell you, after watching what Canyon Bob has been through trying to make his car reliable, I am VERY glad I haven't touched the engine. Wheels, tires, coilovers, swaybar, rear control arms, bigger brakes and rotors, front and rear strut tower braces, roll bar, Recaro, 6 point harness, Halon FE, a little weight reduction and that's it.

My times are still coming down as I get more used to the setup. Pretty consistent 2:10's at Thunderhill this weekend on bald tires, 2:00's at Sears last time. That's faster than some of the TTA, TTB and TTC cars (I run TTD). I have yet to win the gold in my class because of Black Bob, this pesky geezer in a 944 who is very fast, but I've got two Silvers and two Bronzes in 5 starts, which besides the medals and the smooches, is good for Hankook bucks toward new Hankook tires.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 AM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default

I can see why you didn't change anything.... what's the point in that system? uuugggghhhh

so much for "racing" LOL

Looks like we need to find another class of "racing"

Good luck in your class Sid....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Siddhartha's Avatar
Siddhartha Siddhartha is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reno
Posts: 2,161
Default

Well, you can always run your tuner special in Phil Wicks' races. He doesn't care what you run as long as you pay the fee.

Or for a real thrill, come to a NASA event. I'll drop down to HPDE 4 where there are no restrictions on mods (or passing) and give you a chance at the FMOD hat . . . if you can catch me. Which you can't. I don't care how many engine mods you've got. The most important go-fast goodie is the carbon unit.

Cheers,
Sid
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Siddhartha; 06-04-2007 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 AM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
Well, you can always run your tuner special in Phil Wicks' races. He doesn't care what you run as long as you pay the fee.

Or for a real thrill, come to a NASA event. I'll drop down to HPDE 4 where there are no restrictions on mods (or passing) and give you a chance at the FMOD hat . . . if you can catch me. Which you can't. I don't care how many engine mods you've got. The most important go-fast goodie is the carbon unit.

Cheers,
Sid

I didn't say "I" would catch you...... but I know someone who WILL.....LOL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 AM
maxmini's Avatar
maxmini maxmini is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablito View Post
I can see why you didn't change anything.... what's the point in that system? uuugggghhhh

so much for "racing" LOL

Looks like we need to find another class of "racing"

Good luck in your class Sid....

The point of this type of racing is that it is a driver's event where skill and preparation are paramount , not who spent the most money or modified their car to make up for a lack of talent. Some of the most popular RACING series in the world are the spec Miata or the Mini Challenge series in the UK and their rules are as stiff or stiffer than the ones Sid abides by. You are correct in one thing though , YOU should find another series to enter.

Randy
m7 Tuning
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 PM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmini View Post
The point of this type of racing is that it is a driver's event where skill and preparation are paramount , not who spent the most money or modified their car to make up for a lack of talent. Some of the most popular RACING series in the world are the spec Miata or the Mini Challenge series in the UK and their rules are as stiff or stiffer than the ones Sid abides by. You are correct in one thing though , YOU should find another series to enter.

Randy
m7 Tuning

I understood EXACTLY what Sid meant. THanks for the help
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Siddhartha's Avatar
Siddhartha Siddhartha is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reno
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablito View Post
I didn't say "I" would catch you...... but I know someone who WILL.....LOL

And whom might that be?

Do I have to come to SoCal to dice with this hotshoe?

I've already led Chip into a ravine and jumped the Shark in his GP out in the Dago mountains. I'd rather do it on the track than in the canyons. There's no margin for error out there. And no cell coverage either!
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
And whom might that be?

Do I have to come to SoCal to dice with this hotshoe?

I've already led Chip into a ravine and jumped the Shark in his GP out in the Dago mountains. I'd rather do it on the track than in the canyons. There's no margin for error out there. And no cell coverage either!

NO, this will be on the TRACK when the car is finished. Stay tuned!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,878
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablito View Post
NO, this will be on the TRACK when the car is finished. Stay tuned!
The car is useless without a skilled driver behind the wheel.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:08 PM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
The car is useless without a skilled driver behind the wheel.
I thought it was CRYSTAL clear that I WAS NOT DRIVING THE CAR
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Siddhartha's Avatar
Siddhartha Siddhartha is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reno
Posts: 2,161
Default

Yeah? So who is this ringer? David Hasselhoff?
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 PM
iDiaz's Avatar
iDiaz iDiaz is offline
μ
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 15,878
Send a message via AIM to iDiaz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
Yeah? So who is this ringer? David Hasselhoff?
Frankie Muniz?

Click the image to open in full size.

"You're not the boss of me noww and you're not so big! Life is unfaaaaiiir."
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-07-2007, 05:29 PM
el diablito el diablito is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
Yeah? So who is this ringer? David Hasselhoff?

Hasselhoff sounds good
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Siddhartha's Avatar
Siddhartha Siddhartha is offline
Y Rated - 186 mph
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reno
Posts: 2,161
Default

What a crock. Why am I wasting my time here? This is Bob's thread anyway.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


CURRENT MOON

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2005 motoring|underground, all rights reserved.