Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

would these go with the slites?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Note: This kit will not fit most stock wheels without spacers. The 17" kit will fit the 17" R90 and R99 wheels without any problems
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 AM
µ Leadership

I am running the Detroits kit. They are awesome brakes. I think wilwood would serve just as well, and the same for JCW, etc... Its a whole new world with a bbk. I went from stock, to pads, fluid, and lines, to the dt stage 3 kit. Its a completly different beast. I only hope i get to actually use them soon. track. mmmmm haha About your question with the front AND back calipers, theres not really a need for bigger rear calipers. Altough it is really cool and im sure that it stops even faster. I know gnaster has a set of rear calipers. Anyway, If there is anything i can help with i will do what i can. They wont fit s-lites and truthfully, i dont know of a big brake kit that will.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

so the wilwood won't go with the s-lites either? and the jcw?

so are spacers a really bad idea?

Last edited by JIMEK; 08-31-2007 at 08:06 AM..
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

jcw is fine
Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM
µ Leadership

they wont fit under slites without spacers. sorry i should have specified. Using spacers is not a bad idea. There are lots of people on here running spacers. I believe you need new lug nuts, but im not sure. You could ask minimusprime.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM
μ

^^ ill chime in.

A few things. The dt kit is awesome for the price. Chad is great to deal with too. It's based off of an outlaw 2500 caliper which is common and has a good pad selection with respect to price.

Can't go wrong with wilwood either. Todd @ TCE is a great guy to deal with as well. Many happy customers there. The wilwood kit is awesome for what it costs.

I ended up going with a stoptech kit, just because i found one used. It's pretty cool. More bling then anything as the calipers are just massive and most likely over kill. However, this is just speculation, but I'd assume that the stoptech kit has less caliper flex then most. This is something that you would probably never ever notice unless you were a real serious track junky.

If I was going to buy new my choices would be -
1 - DT Kit
2 - Texas Speed Works Kit
3 - Wilwood.

I think they are all similar in performance. The tsw kit is the only one that will clear some 15" wheels and still has a massive rotor (in width). Again it appears this kit is based off of a Outlaw 2500 caliper. A solid choice.

You are going to have to kind of feel your way around the spacer issue. IMO you are best off contacting the maker of the kit and talk to them. Chad at DT, Todd @ TCE or Mike or Jeff at TSW. They will tell you what you need and what spacer you need.

I see no problem in running spacers. I had a thread on here about spacers and it seems a good number of mini track junkies run them and now... so do I. I am running a 5mm up front and nothing in the rear. I added a tsw stud kit just to be sure that the wheels were on there solid and whatnot. TBH the spacers have really helped the handling of the car. I think that they can be advantages even if your brake kit doesn't necessitate them.

BTW i wouldn't mess around with cheap spacers. I've got a set of pilo spacers and a set of H&R... the H&R are far superior and cost just a touch more (like 50 bux vs 30). Definitely worth it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I just did a crapton of research on brake kits, wheel fitment and spacers.

Happy to spread the info along as necessary.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

wow! i'll try to find the #s and call them up right now. THANKS!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

ok! I feel better, maybe i'll get some sleep 2nite cause i'm finally a step further. Or maybe you guys will talk me out of it and i won't.

called up DT, working hours - no answer - probably they prefered to be early long-weekend-BBQing rather than BBK talking.

TSW contact link on website - no work

TCE is wilwood. But so was a contact # i got from one of you (thx) - a guy @ ->WayMotorWorks<- (click). I talked to him for some time, told him the story of my life () and I think I decided to go with a wilwood front wheel kit. I guess if you compare it to the whole BBK the reasons for the front solo were price(high in full kit)/weight of the rear (high)/use\difference in performance (not big). He said he races on track all the time and he doesnt have a rear kit - no use. I also told him that i was thinking of the detroit tuned kit, so that he'll feel threatened and lower the price he said the kit is not the best choice, and one of reasons for that was that supposedly the pads don't touch the rotors in 100% because of something (forgot) . But that is not the real reason why i partially gave up on the DT kit. Wilwood is a worldwide thing, if i ever need anything i'll get it easily in europe.
The price he said it'll be more or less is $900 for the street kit in red and that's extra $1xx that's why. But he will find out exactly after the weekend.
For now, i'm thinking of going that path (if i won't get talked out of it). The same guy told me what spacers do I need, He's gonna get me those too (i think the set is like $150) unfortunately is that possible? and also the same guy is probably the one who's gonna provide me with the M|U intake pageant winner - Alta cai.

If you guys think I'm making the biggest mistake of my mini-life i need you to scream.

but seriously - i'd love to hear oppinions cause i know crap about this.

also, 4 all tha

Last edited by JIMEK; 09-01-2007 at 02:05 AM..
Old 09-01-2007, 05:00 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

Wilwoods will most definitely not fit with S-Lites... I tried.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 AM
µ Leadership

I think your choice is just fine. Like i said, they are all going to be good. Youll feel a big difference.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
Wilwoods will most definitely not fit with S-Lites... I tried.
yup taking care of that too, thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMEK View Post
The same guy told me what spacers do I need, He's gonna get me those too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
I think your choice is just fine. Like i said, they are all going to be good. Youll feel a big difference.
thanks, dude, i feel like a kid. cant wait and the first thing i'm doing is going to the track with 20 hothatch friends
Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 AM
µ Leadership

Which Wilwood's did you go with? Way won't steer you wrong.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i think street. (?)
Old 09-03-2007, 02:24 AM
µ Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMEK View Post
i think street. (?)
11.75" or the 12".2's? Race or street calipers?