motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
μ

Default New Brakes OTW

So I went with an impulse buy on some stoptech's after a day at the dragon with massive brake fade and not too much left on the oem pads.

Bout time I got rid of them any way.

Out with the oem (old) in with the new (stoptech)

I scooped up a set of stoptechs that a guy had mounted to his 02. Very little milage which was the plus. The kit is coming with all 4 ss lines a set of axxis streed pads and a set of racing pads.

Now I have an early build 06. From what I know the rear lines will not fit but what about the fronts? Does any one know if they are different?

Also I've still got oem rotors and pads in the rear. I'll be putting ss lines and brass caliper bushings back there to tighten the whole thing up... Should I change pads back there to keep the oem brake bias setup? or will I be ok with oem rotors and pads?

Thanks for your help.

p.s. ate or motul?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

The brass caliper bushings will help the feel of the rears immensely (on any car if available).

Swapping out the pads is a quasi personal bias kinda' thing (obviously stopping distance is part of that equation too...).

I did Hawk HPS pads in the rear with OEM rotors and they work well with the StopTech slots/Akebono pads I have up front. That was partially a budget limit kinda' thing, next round I may swap out to a different setup. Especially since I am going to aim for trying a few track days and autcrosses as time/budget allow.

However, you are going to run better calipers than I have so you may find a bigger difference in the feel/bias on the rear. That may push you to getting a different pad that works in a heat range better suited to your style and setup.

I run the ATE and rotate between blue/normal for easy bleeding. If you already boil on a regular basis you'll probably want something capable of running a bit higher temps.

I think all both ends are different on the brake lines, but my mind is too feeble to recall with authority. Might buzz Drew2 or Chase and see what they remember from recently wrestling with Drew's setup. Or, call StopTech - they're pretty friendly for giving up accurate info.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 PM
μ

Nice choice Eric.

Call Dan at Grassroots Garage, tell him I sent ya over because you had a couple of questions about the brakes. He can answer your questions, I'm sure of it.

336-476-8551

Drew
Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
μ

2nd that, Dan can give some good advice. The rear lines are the only ones that are different (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
μ

so I'm being told that I'm going to need to put some spacers in to clear the stoptechs... bummer.

I don't know exactly what size I'm going to need to clear them a I am not near my for another week.

first off... does any one have any idea offhand what size it's going to take to clear the oz ultraleggeras?

secondly what is going to happen to bump steer and my wheel bearings with et37 wheels and spacers?

anyone have a goos source for assorted sized spacers?

thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 04:25 PM
μ

With that low of an offset already I'd be concerned that your first issue would be serious rubbing after running spacers. Just remembering how flush your wheels sit now, if you have to push them out another 3-5mm you'll rub through every turn...

That's my guess right now, not educated, just a guess.

Drew
Old 07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

H&R makes spacers
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM
μ

rubbing isn't a huge concern. with the camber set the way I have it I should be ok... at the worst a little trimming.

so with h&r do you buy direct or go through a reseller? if so which one?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Strom Send a message via MSN to Strom

I have H&R Spacers - 5mm. I believe 3mm will work, but I couldn't find any good ones.

I have used the 5mm spacers with Ultraleggeras as well as Superleggeras. They work with both - my camber is about -1.75, and I am riding pretty low in front with PSS9s.

I did rub with 15mm spacers, though...
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 AM
μ

thanks for the verification strom. Are you running 5mm's all the way around or just in front?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Strom Send a message via MSN to Strom

Just in front. I was using a 3mm from Pilo (http://www.piloracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=SP601S), but they aren't as substantial as the H&R ones, which seem to mate to the hub better.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

+1 on the H&Rs they're very nicely made.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 AM
μ

FYI ...if you donot get spacers that are right.. like the type that have a hub... you will get NASTY vibrations.... so spend the $$ and get teh right ones...
Old 08-05-2007, 02:58 AM
μ

yeah I have a set of 5mm h&r's on the way for the front and longer lug bolts to go along with them.

Do you guys think it would be wise to just go with a stud kit all the way around since I'm going to be running spacers. I figure that's probobly better with spacers, no?

Thanks again for the input. I've been on a business trip this whole time and had the brakes shipped while I was gone. I haven't seen them yet and it's killing me lol!!!

I will have a nice big box waiting for me when i get home. Containing:

-ST bbk
-2 sets of pads 1 race set, 1 street set
-Front and Back SS lines
-1 pair 5mm H&R spacers with longer bolts
-1 bottle ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
-1 set of rear brass caliper bushings

got it all for 1050 shipped. Not too horrible of a deal. I can't wait to install it.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:07 AM
μ

Nice price man! That's less than most front big brake kits, and this is one of the best ones out there. Can't wait to hear how you like it.

Drew