motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 07-31-2007, 06:37 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

Click the image to open in full size.

omgzz
Old 07-31-2007, 06:47 PM
μ

thats the stock spring, the koni's are at my buddies house. but they are practically identical in terms of how many coils. the koni are just alittle shorter

omgzz
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to iDiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
yes I can, well u posted the H&R haha. Ill take a picture of the koni alittle later today. I have seen H-sports are different too. the h-sports look more like the jcw springs to me and alittle bit like the new H&R where the coils are closer together at the top but then get really spaced out lower. where the koni are taller like stock, and almost evenly spaced out as well. the H&R are in the middle id say of stock/koni and the H-sport springs. from what I have seen atleast.
The rear coils on the H&R have a section of dead coils that are completely compressed when the car is on the ground. Their only purpose is to keep the spring from jostling around when the suspension is at full droop. Similar to the helper spring setup on a PSS9, but all integrated onto the same coil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime
Ive also read that h-sport has a pretty stiff spring rate, which makes me wonder if it has to do with how the coils are spaced out? if so I dont see a difference in the H&R green springs on the RSS kit over mine. the eibachs are what I had on my crx (ground control) and they are stiffffff. Ive noticed that the H&R and koni are fairly soft until you take a corner and then they stiffen up. where the ground flat seems to always be stiff.
They may be the same springs. The front springs from the H&R coilover picture you posted are split rate (kind'a like progressive). The top coils have one angle (softer), then the bottom coils have a way steeper angle to 'em (stiffer).

Flat grinding doesn't have anything to do with spring rate... it's just a different way to seat the spring onto the perch. Race springs tend to be flat ground, but I've seen street springs on coilovers that were also flat ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime
What suspension setup did you have for chasing the touge idiaz? dk seemed to like it
I really don't remember if that was my PSS9 setup or Tein High.Tech springs. Tein High.Tech have too low of a spring rate, though. They'll bottom out stock shocks like whoa.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
μ

it might have been the teins then. I remember he noted it was alittle soft but very well balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDiaz View Post
The rear coils on the H&R have a section of dead coils that are completely compressed when the car is on the ground. Their only purpose is to keep the spring from jostling around when the suspension is at full droop. Similar to the helper spring setup on a PSS9, but all integrated onto the same coil:

They may be the same springs. The front springs from the H&R coilover picture you posted are split rate (kind'a like progressive). The top coils have one angle (softer), then the bottom coils have a way steeper angle to 'em (stiffer).

Flat grinding doesn't have anything to do with spring rate... it's just a different way to seat the spring onto the perch. Race springs tend to be flat ground, but I've seen street springs on coilovers that were also flat ground.

I really don't remember if that was my PSS9 setup or Tein High.Tech springs. Tein High.Tech have too low of a spring rate, though. They'll bottom out stock shocks like whoa.

omgzz
Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 PM
μ

Quote:
it might have been the teins then. I remember he noted it was alittle soft but very well balanced.
Wait, you're talking about American Touge 2, not Chasing the Touge. That was definitely on Bilstein PSS9's. His comment was that the ride was comfortable and balanced, and although you'd think it'd have a lot of body roll, it was very flat in cornering.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM
μ

Quote:
Wait, you're talking about American Touge 2, not Chasing the Touge. That was definitely on Bilstein PSS9's. His comment was that the ride was comfortable and balanced, and although you'd think it'd have a lot of body roll, it was very flat in cornering.
oohh ya, my bad what else did you have? and I noticed you had some negative camber in the front? was that the -2 like you suggest to me a while back?

omgzz
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
μ

Quote:
oohh ya, my bad what else did you have? and I noticed you had some negative camber in the front? was that the -2 like you suggest to me a while back?
Yeah, I believe I was running -2 at the time. I was not using custom toe settings, though. The toe was set to factory specs. I wish I would have known how to tune toe back then... I could have easily shaved a second or two with the right toe settings.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
μ

Quote:
Yeah, I believe I was running -2 at the time. I was not using custom toe settings, though. The toe was set to factory specs. I wish I would have known how to tune toe back then... I could have easily shaved a second or two with the right toe settings.
alright thats another question I had.. I was told that the car toes out when you drop it. is that true?

omgzz
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 PM
μ

Quote:
alright thats another question I had.. I was told that the car toes out when you drop it. is that true?
I don't remember if it toes in or out, but it definitely gets way out of wack.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM
μ

Quote:
it affects your braking into a corner and or anywhere right? I know it effects your speed in and out of a corner. I have no clue how to adjust it though I wish I could, I dont want to get the car aligned until I get camber plates.

omgzz
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM
μ

Quote:
it affects your braking into a corner and or anywhere right? I know it effects your speed in and out of a corner. I have no clue how to adjust it though I wish I could, I dont want to get the car aligned until I get camber plates.
Toe affects every aspect of driving. Bad toe settings can screw up stability, braking, cornering speed, acceleration, tire wear, etc. I would definitely get it aligned if you plan on waiting longer than a couple of weeks to get those camber plates on, otherwise I'd just hold on to the coilovers until you can get camber plates and install it all at once. Driving around with a bad alignment is a waste of tire wear.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
μ

those look very similar to the Koni coil-overs on my car... progressive springs front & rear...

Quote:

Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

I just installed PSS9's a few weeks ago and had an alignment done to some spec's Ivan gave me. Felt great! Now that the coilovers have settled a little bit I can feel the alignment is now off, I have lost a bit of stability when cornering. I'm going in for another alignment in a week or so.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:43 AM
μ

ya, alignments are alittle over a 100 and a good 4 hours drive away from where I live. So, thought not a big deal, its still something id rather get done right the first time and not have to keep going back lol. plus it seems pointless if I cant adjust the front camber

omgzz
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Adam Send a message via Skype™ to Adam

Quote:
Definitely toe-out. As your upright goes up the tie rods get pulled on and I believe they're on the back of the upright so that = toe out.

Maybe.

So for alignments I saw the other day that Firestone does the lifetime alignment deal. I think it's like 149.99 for all you can eat alignments.