motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 09-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The TSW's are linear also.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

The car won't be as responsive with the M7's. It will take the car a little longer to respond when you turn the wheel.

That is the opinion of one of our members (Metroplex Mini) who changed from M7 springs to TSW springs.

The new ones have the rank towards the front.

Their customer service is top notch!

Yes I own some of their springs.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

I prefer the feel of linear rate springs myself, especially with coilovers. I lost some of that responsiveness going to progress rate coils.

My GF's MCS has M7 springs, they feel good...I liked the feel of the Tein S.techs I used on my previous Mini a little better however.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

New TSW's!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

For me it is a catch 22, I want a lower ride height (the M7's) but I love linear rate springs (TSW's). I have seen a few cars with the TSW springs that sit nice, but then some are not. It may be the difference in the new front springs. I want as little gap as possible.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 PM
N Rated - 87 mph

I had M7 springs on my '05 MCS for about a year. I loved the lower look, but when AXing they seemed a bit squishy until the progressive part of the springs loaded up, then they were fine. I changed to the TSW springs and initially liked the ride but felt the car looked a bit squirrelly. There was almost no rake and the gap above the front wheels was too large when compared to the rear.

TSW recently changed the front springs up when they realized there was a change in the MCS front spring heights beginning with the 2005 model year. I swapped mine out with the new 1/2" shorter front springs and have been very happy! I'm not ready to make that next $$$ step change to coilovers yet, but with the TSW springs, 'new' Hotchkiss adjustable camber plates and the stock shocks I'm very happy with the look, the ride , and even more with the handling at AX. With a little bit of DS strut tower persuasion I'm at -2.2 camber on both sides with this configuration. This should keep me happy for awhile until my driving skills start to exceed this configuration. Then I'll head back to TSW for their AST coilovers

BTW, I'm the guy that MiniMM was referring to above.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I've have pic's with both M7 springs w/16's and H-sport (one inch) on 18's. Saw the shot of the Enkei j10's in a 17 and thought I'd show them in 18's.
I like the M7's but of course, I'm still looking for a bit more drop in the front. I just took a couple pics of Boo this morning with the 18's on. It's hard to go back to the 18's after riding on the 16's for a few weeks although, I love the look of the 18's on the car.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by pauliekeys; 01-17-2009 at 06:23 AM..
Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Schweet! The rough roads and potholes around the DFW area scared me away from 18's. It's bad enough on 215/40-17s. Ya gotta pay attention around here or risk a rash on the rims I do love the way the 18's look though.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuego View Post
I had M7 springs on my '05 MCS for about a year. I loved the lower look, but when AXing they seemed a bit squishy until the progressive part of the springs loaded up, then they were fine. I changed to the TSW springs and initially liked the ride but felt the car looked a bit squirrelly. There was almost no rake and the gap above the front wheels was too large when compared to the rear.

TSW recently changed the front springs up when they realized there was a change in the MCS front spring heights beginning with the 2005 model year. I swapped mine out with the new 1/2" shorter front springs and have been very happy! I'm not ready to make that next $$$ step change to coilovers yet, but with the TSW springs, 'new' Hotchkiss adjustable camber plates and the stock shocks I'm very happy with the look, the ride , and even more with the handling at AX. With a little bit of DS strut tower persuasion I'm at -2.2 camber on both sides with this configuration. This should keep me happy for awhile until my driving skills start to exceed this configuration. Then I'll head back to TSW for their AST coilovers

BTW, I'm the guy that MiniMM was referring to above.
Thanks for your insight! I wont be doing any auto-x'ing; my main driving is city driving with the backroad spirited driving. With that being said, which would you prefer? I am currently running runflat, but those are getting replaced when I get new springs. I will be running Hankook RS2's so I will have plenty of grip. I am starting to like the m7's because with me doing more city driving (and Memphis roads suck balls!) the progressive rate spring is going to be nice because it will absorb a lot of road as well as the non run flat tires will help. I drove a friend of mine's E36 M3 for a week, in which it has progressive rate springs. ( I am not comparing the handling or ride of the MINI and the M3) It had nice ride because of these progressive rate, but it did take a little getting used to when the springs would give then firmly stick when the spring loaded up.

I guess my questions are:
1. how much does it take before the m7 spring is 'loaded up'? How far do you have to push it?
2. What tires were you running with the m7 springs and now with the TSWs?
3. Looks wise (how much wheel gap) do the two compare? Do you have pics of them both?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:31 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

From my experiences, you have to load the m7 spring pretty good before it switches from cush to push.

Not bitching necessarily - just an observation.

If you want the instant snap o' performance I would stick with linear in general.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

ScottinBend and Mr GB- what size tires are yall running?

Drewmon- I think I read on NAM that you really dont like your M7's. Why is that?

This decision is getting harder and harder.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I am running 215/40/17's no rubbing
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i like the ts-dubs.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinBend View Post
I am running 215/40/17's no rubbing
different offsets.....different experiences
Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
different offsets.....different experiences
S-Lites with 215/45 shouldnt rub on the TSW springs should they??