motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to *Ace*

Faults with the MINI:

Dash lights on. Check engine, airbag, DSC, Tire Inflation light...basically all the warning lights. Check engine due to exhaust O2 issue, aftermarket full exhaust. All others I think due to a bad wheel speed sensor when I had the MINI lowered. Also the power steering doesn't work and hand brake cable is broken. My windshield wipers also stopped working recently. I think thats it, haha. Ya there are some problems but the car still runs great to me. I also think those problems will be relatively easy to fix.

So maybe some race-prep over the winter...stay tuned!

This is what I am committing to. 2012 Jeep Patriot Altitude. Pretty psyched!
Click the image to open in full size.

"The wonders shall never end."
Old 10-17-2012, 02:17 AM
µ Leadership

very cool
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Good call on the Jeep. First vehicle I ever turned a wrench on was a 2000 Wrangler. Then needed something more driver friendly so I moved to an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited. That ended up being a piece of junk, but that was not the fault of Jeep, but the fault of the previous owner. Sometimes a good deal is too good to be true.

If you're going to sell that Mini for $1000 let me know! Otherwise, I'm definitely seeing a badass track car coming out of this. Gut all of those electronics so the lights go away. And who needs power steering anyway?

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03EmCeeS View Post
If you're going to sell that Mini for $1000 let me know! Otherwise, I'm definitely seeing a badass track car coming out of this. Gut all of those electronics so the lights go away. And who needs power steering anyway?
I haven't had power steering for almost 3 years! Hahaha! Going to try and remove it all together or just take the pump out of the equation.

The car isn't leaving my possession for a long time. I am going to have a serious talk with my mechanic who does a lot of race prep and body work for cars that frequent Limerock. Tentative plans are to gut almost everything non-essential. Add roll cage, dial in suspension, then get into the engine.

I'd love to go with a Turbo setup down the road like you have done Chase. Your car and work gives me inspiration.

Right now its a blank slate on the back burner. The burner is on simmer. A good thing to have. A good thing indeed.

If anyone has any suggestions that may have gone down this road before I would appreciate the advice.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not that I am building a race car over here, and I know that you probably recognize this already, but remember to budget for misc parts that may be okay now, but could fail once you start touching the motor. When I bought my Mini it was stock with 77,000 miles and everything ran well. As soon as I started touching things and increasing the power, other parts started to go. Being overly excited to build the engine, I never thought about this and didn't budget for the extra parts. Luckily I have a decent job for a college student, so I was able to get the parts without issue. Just a pain when you do all kinds of work only to have something that you would otherwise not think about break.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Very psyched!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ace* View Post
Very psyched!

2" lift and 31" tires sounds like an excellent idea if you ask me!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Got some spare time the other day and decided to do some wrenching on the MINI. I jacked it up and put it on blocks, took the rear wheels off and had a good look at what was going on with the broken hand brake cable. There are 2 cables running to each rear brake. The driver side cable is the one that was busted completely and the passenger side one had the sheathing torn apart and was rusting up. Everything came out and went back in pretty smoothly and I was able to replace the cables without dropping the exhaust and removing the heat shielding. Luckily I had purchased new cables for both sides years ago so I had replacement parts ready to go.

The car has been garaged for a while so the battery had no juice in it when I tried to fire it up. Looks like I have to try and charge it up or get new battery. Looking to get it registered and insured again to have it for some summer driving fun.

In other news since my absence from this site I have gotten married and have a 20 month year old boy! Looks like I will be handing down this car to someone someday after all. He loves cars and trucks and everything like that so I am so psyched to take him down the rabbit hole!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Put a charger/maintainer on it the other day and it fired up this morning.

Time to look into seeing what it would cost to insure for a few months and get this thing registered again. Looking forward to motoring!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:58 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to werD

Glad you brought it back to life - and congrats on the new youngin' & wife!