motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Garage The place to show off your pride and joy. Show us your motoring masterpiece herein!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Pits > The Garage

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

You can't tease & leave us hangin' w/ such great plan & work! Keep the pics flowing. You might wanna check, test fit Momo hub mod #2012 should the OMP be unavailable.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Done for a while, panel is painted & buttons installed, I've made some covers for the backs of each button but can't put those on until the wiring is done, & that can't be done untill the OEM wheel comes off & the factory wiring is spliced, hopefully the hub will ship on time & I can do the actual install in a couple of weekends.

Here's an idea of what it will look like:

Click the image to open in full size.

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nice!! That's some good looking work, especially when you consider it was done without the proper metal working tools. Great job.

"The feeling of maintaining control of something on the ragged edge of disaster is more addictive than anything"
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Ya, I wish the lines and the corners were a little straighter & more symmetrical, but it'll work. A milling vice & some milling bits are next in my list of goodies to pick up and hopefully a metal lathe over the summer.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
µ Leadership

thats alot of buttons
Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

HaaHaa, ya, I didn't need to keep the stereo controls, but liked the way 8 balanced out instead of just the 4 for the cruise, but now that I see it in more than my head, I guess a 2n2 would have looked ok also......Hey....Damn you Chase.....Stop makin' me 2nd guess myself.....

But I'm not bitter....
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
µ Leadership

haha not trying to do that, just saying. Lots of buttons haha. When are we gonna meet up?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

HaaHaa, Lot'z of Buttons, Lot'z of Gauges, Lot'z of ......I'm affraid it may become a theme.
Gotta get through Feb. as far as weather & work, then we'll see what a weekend will bring.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

So, good w/e & not so good w/e, hub got to me Thurs. and I did get the wheel installed:

But wait, where's the button panel? Thats the not so good part, (not really bad, just gonna take a lot more than I had hoped) when I got everything apart & started to look at the wiring and circuit boards for the cruise & radio controls, it was not as I had hoped. I was hoping that the boards & toggles were just that, a simple toggle feature mounted to a circuit board that transmitted a signal to a controller for the specific function, but their not, the boards have the controller cuircitry built in and the wires simply transmit a completed command to the individual item. (Radio / Cruise)

So, for anyone else thinking about this, it basicly leaves 3 options:
1. Move the entire controller, board & toggle pad, somewhere else, like Nate did, having his moved to his dash.
2. Build a panel like I did, and figure out the schematics of the circuit board and how to tap into it.
3. Forget about the cruise & radio controls all together.

I'm actually going to take some time & look into option # 2, just because it's a challange and I'd like to see if I can figure it out. But if not I may actually do nothing, honestly it was more about the challange of doing it than anything, I'll bet I've prob. only used my cruise a total of 5 different times since I bought the car, just something I'm used to not using, plus I get better milage ib the pedal than on the cruise

As far as the wheel itself, I like the feel of it, but it's going to take some getting used too, and some experimenting as far as height adjustment, since it's slightly smaller in diameter and I have the chrono pack, it does obstruct the Speedo & Tach a little bit, and I'm going to have to see if I can really get used to it, but the buttin position for the Nitrous feels perfect.

The other good thing is that now that the wheel's in, all I have to do is connect the wire for the push button to the Nitrous controller and the system is finally ready. (I had to wait to do this because the WOT pedal switching works off the voltage of the Throttle Position Sensor, and since current flow for this matters, the wiring really had to be completed in the form it is going to be used, without any changes in wiring that may effect current/voltage levels) Hopefully I can get that & the bottle filled this week, so I can start using & tuning it.

Oh, while I was waiting for the hub last week I also added the 1st & 2nd stage arming switchs (toggles) to the switch panel that I made:
Stage 1&2 Toggles
W/M
Nitrous Main Power
Nitrous Bottle Heater
Nitrous Purge
Nitrous Remote Bottle Opener (future)

I had of course originally planned on using both of the red steering wheel buttons for the different stages and simply adding a horn kit to the wheel, but after some thought, the right side button was simply to impracticle for trying to use it for the Nitrous & shifting at the same time, anyone who saw my little video clips knows I like my shifts fast, and having to remove my hand from the shifter just wouldn't work for me.
Basicly the switch panel now gives me my main arming switch and independant arming of each control unit, with the red led's on the left gauge pod being my indicators as to what is armed and what is not.
Top led = Entire System Armed
Center led = Stage 1
Bottom led = Stage 2

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-13-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Nice update, wheel looks great! So how'd you keep your SRS Light off? The OMP resistor in green & another 3.9ohm resistor in the black plug? Hope you'd realize your plan. I've no complaints losing my cruise & radio buttons. Love the wheel more than the multi-function.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

No resistors yet, will do that when the time comes but the mistake had been made a while ago & the light had already been triggered, not real keen on going to the dealer to reset it, will prob. just do the resistor a little later & have Chad reset it for me @ MOTD.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well, it's been a while but I was finally able to get something done this past w/e, between other stuff & Mother Nature, really hadn't been able to do much in the past 4 or 5 weekends.

The new steering wheel diameter allowed me to re-mount the column gauges to the lower position, I like them a lot better, they're not so "in your face". Here's a before & after look.
Before:
After:

It's a real difference driving, much better.

Finally got the wiring for the WOT switching figured out & finished, all seems to be working as it should. Testing should finally start this w/e, looks like we're finally done with winter here. :fingerscrossed:

Just for S**ts & Giggles I figure I throw in a pic of one of the things I did while the weather was bad, it gave me time to finish what I jokingly call my "Wall-O-Tools" 39 Drawers, 80x60.
A man's gotta have his Toys......I mean Tools.....

But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 04-04-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
µ Leadership

i love it.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Not much progress over the w/e but what was done was all in the right direction.
So, bottle progress, everything is ready but I've decided to wait for one more thing, my bottle heater, (should be to me on Thurs, along with Zex's new usage gauge, wich gives you an approximation of the fill level of your bottle) and here's why.

(Thanks so much to my Nitrous Sensei Thumper for all of this good info! And this will also explain the desire for the gauge) When I charged the system I only got 750psi, and of course I immediately thought, low pressure=low level & my bottle actually hadn't been filled all the way, well not true, Nitrous pressure isn't associated with volume it's associated with temperature. Basiclly temperature = pressure = power, so consistant temp., gives you consistant pressure, gives you consistancy in power output for tuning purposes. Sooo, bottle heater is on the way, and I'm doing the gauge just to be able to help with the bottle volume level without having to weigh it so often.

Also I'm ordering another set of "colder" plugs to have on hand for the Nitrous usage, should be nice this w/e so we'll see.

But I'm not bitter....
Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

We'll be awaiting updates, Blwn!