motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 01-19-2016, 04:06 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default 03 S Rebuild Time

Well after 13 years and 365,000 miles I think it may be time to rebuild my MINI. I started noticing a large loss of power going up grades, and temperatures rising pretty quick. My water pump gears started making a bit of noise, so I swapped in my old supercharger last week. It fixed the noise, but of course not the lack of power. Today I did a compression test, which turned out low, very low, all the way across (105-120psi). I then did added a bit of oil to the one of the 105psi cylinders and it bumped it up to 165psi. So it looks like the rings need replacing. I can't say that I am really surprised with this many miles, and have been expecting it for sometime. So now a question for you guys who build/ rebuild engines. I am planning on replacing rings pistons, bearings, and re-building the head. What I am wondering is, should the connecting rods be replaced? I have not dig into the engine yet, when I do it may become obvious, but since I haven't build an engine since high school (in my 40's now) I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some who have done one more recently. Also, since I'll be in that deep, what else should I look for.

I still lurk around this site quite a bit, but rarely post. Thanks,

Nik
Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
μ

Tough call. I feel like you'll be okay with the forged rods/crank, but at the same time, it's a lot of work, on parts with a lot of miles on them. I'd personally be more interested in swapping them out for new ones while in there for the piece of mind.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I agree, I'll likely decide after I start digging in. Seems like since I'm going in so deep I may as well make everything new.....If I can afford it

Nik
Old 01-20-2016, 12:48 AM
μ

365k wow. Hats off.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Haha, thanks. Its been fun, cant wait to dig into it and get it back to full power.....

Nik
Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 PM
µ Leadership

Yea man, Congrats on the mileage. I had my engine built at 112,000 haha.

I think its great to go ahead and do a head rebuild, new pistons, rings etc.

Also may as well get a new oil pump, replace bolts with ARP components,

Use Mahle rod and main bearings. They are cheaper and better than OEM.

Unless you are planning to push the car to over 300whp, then the stock rods are acutally very strong. I would have them tested for cracks and such before putting them back in. There are also a lot shops that can take your rods and either shot-peen them or some other treatment to make them stronger, so that is always an option as well.

Be sure to have your head and bock decked and zeroed out.

Your cylinders are most likely ovaled or egg shaped so those will want to be bored accordingly
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for the input Chase. I plan to build it up a bit, but not quite like yours (I would love to though). Good to hear about the Mahle quality, I have been looking at those. Yeah, pretty sure my cylinders are oval.

Nik