motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Tire & Wheel Without wheels & tires, you're going nowhere!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Tire & Wheel

Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 AM
μ

Ok. That's the piece of the puzzle I was missing. Totally didn't see where they had been converted to 3 piece. That's pretty sick. Even more so that they are on the same car.

I personally wouldn't choose them to be made into a custom wheel. but if you've got the original car and wanted to have a wicked take on the OEM wheel, then I have mad respect for that.

Thanks for the clarification, guys. I feel less stupid now. haha
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Haha yeah, I can see you thinking I was pretty crazy if you only saw the one piece versions in this thread
Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

This should rank higher:Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 PM
µ Leadership

Is there anyone in the states who will do the work to turn OE wheels to make multi-piece?

I couldnt find anyone. Looking to turn some 10's that I have into something more
Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM
μ

never got the fascination with the "teddy bear" wheels; to me if you're gonna run those, go ahead and put the eyelashes on your car to....jmho...to each their own

Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM
μ

I share the same sentiment on the teddy's.

Chase, I looked all over to see if I could find someone to convert 10's to custom width 3 pieces in the states and came up empty handed. Kind of surprised me given the popularity of stance and what-not. Only place I could find that openly advertised converting 10's to 3-piece was Carl from Force-Racing.co.uk but shipping back and forth will get expensive. Thus I went another route. I'd be interested to see if you find anything.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCountry S View Post
never got the fascination with the "teddy bear" wheels; to me if you're gonna run those, go ahead and put the eyelashes on your car to....jmho...to each their own
It's not like there's really anyone out there that actually thinks "Oh how cool, wheels shaped like bears! That's awesome!". The fascination is more in the actual silliness and ridiculousness of the wheels. When you really think about it, it's absurd that a company decided to forego any spoke or mesh design and simply cast a well-balanced teddy bear into their lineup. So people like to have fun with the joke by running them or even converting them to three piece...something usually reserved for serious wheel builds. It's all in fun.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:27 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtyMous View Post
Chase, I looked all over to see if I could find someone to convert 10's to custom width 3 pieces in the states and came up empty handed. Kind of surprised me given the popularity of stance and what-not. .
10's specifically? That's probably because almost no cars run 10s in the US. I'd bet the demand for 10s converted to multi-piece can be counted on one hand

Joking aside, any competent machine shop would be able to handle the task of the conversion. You would just need to source the lips that you wanted to use prior. Lips are fairly easy to find, even here in the US.

For their 2-piece conversions, all Force Racing is doing is milling off the lip, and drilling a PCD for the new lip. I personally would mill the back of the new flange you create and use nuts...but maybe they found there wasn't enough metal.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rally; 01-19-2015 at 04:32 PM..
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM
µ Leadership

that is exactly the wheel I was going to have made to 2-piece haha. Since thats what I have on my 76
Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 PM
μ

Yeah, Chase. That's pretty much their number one asked for conversion. But it's not a "3-piece". They call them 1-piece "splits". And I think they require tubes. Not that it's a huge deal. Just another thing to consider.

Rally. I thought it might be easier than they make it out to be, but I honestly have no idea how to do it so I didn't even want to venture a guess. haha. I know that Carl sells just the hoops "lips" by themselves in whatever width you need.

I'm an infant in the 3-piece world and still learning. But I'm liking the idea that I can take some old style wheels and make them interesting and unique with a 3-piece method.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
μ

Does he sell 3 piece conversions on factory wheels? I don't think I've seen those. His 3-piece stuff is just cut from forged center profiles.

You can easily source 10" lips and barrels here in the states because they are used in various race classes.

I always wondered if those 2 piece conversions needed tubes, because that photo never looked like a proper seal. A proper 2 piece conversion could be done though, I'd imagine.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 PM
μ

oh I'm sure it could be done without tubes. The question is it easy/worth it?
I don't know that he sells 3 piece conversions. Just the 2 piece splits.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 PM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtyMous View Post
oh I'm sure it could be done without tubes. The question is it easy/worth it?
It depends on what wheel you start with and its structure, but it's relatively easy if the metal is there. That's what determines a lot of the OEM split conversions you see.

Worth it would be up to the owner.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 AM
μ

Force-Racing is really impressing me. Their 10" wheels selection specifically is awesome.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

There's a guy in the Netherlands doing 3 piece conversions, might be some inspiration there: https://www.facebook.com/BuildByBoekes

Looks like the original wheel is milled down to a face with BBS pattern holes drilled along the stepped down edge. A guy I know contacted him on doing the conversion to R81 Pepperpots, but they weren't suitable for the conversion.

There's also this outfit in Poland doing the same thing: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indyw...35223189880338