motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Braking Clamping the binders.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Braking

Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default I am thinking of upgrading to JCW.

So this is what we have so far....

- The M7 springs installed.
- Koni Yellows upfront, OEM S shocks in the rear (still looking for some yellows for the back)
- Cravenspeed strut defenders
- Ireland Engineering adjustable camber plates (not yet installed)
- ALTA adjustable control arms (one pair)

After doing some reading I think I would be happy with just some R53 JCW brakes front and rear with some quality pads and rotors. My MINI is being set up for canyon runs.

I dont think going to a set of R56 calipers will give me anything more then just using the set of R53 JCW's.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

The r56 calipers are the same as the r53 jcw calipers minus the red point and jcw stickers, fyi
I have a set if you're interested $200
Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

The step-up to the R53JCW/r56 brakes is a good one. FYI the rears dont change, just the fronts.

Something else on your list, DO NOT INSTALL those Ireland Engineering plates. Ive owned them, and they are garbage. A LOT of other people feel the same way, and the plates are the direct cause to many destroyed shocks/struts. They are just poorly designed and made w/ low quality materials.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

IR Plates... what are the actual flaws in their design and how do they destroy the struts? I want to see if I can re-engineer and take out the flaws.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

In general, there are a lot of clearance issues; top, bottom, middle. You can play around w/ spacing the strut different, but you are offsetting loads at that point and could lead down other avenues of destruction.

Photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

They also had a running issue of the polyurethane separating from bearing housing. I had this issue, and while IE replaced the failed part, there was nothing they would do about the strut that went w/ it.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ber-plate.html
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

clearance issues with the plates themselves or clearance issued with the springs and struts after the IE plates are installed?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Both. You have clearance issues with the strut shaft themselves internally, and then clearance issues on the bottom-side of the plates. The ones on the bottom-side are pretty easily worked, but the internal ones...not so much.

There are a lot of people that had issues with these plates, and IMO you should learn from prior failures. I didnt heed the warnings, and got to shell out additional $$ b/c of it.

Get a better plate, especially b/c you havent installed the IEs yet. There ARE much better choices out there, though more costly for the part themselves, but it is made up for in the fact you wont have to pull them apart again....and again....and again.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

I've noticed that there are other manufacture using the same design with what appears to be the same pillow block. Eibach camber plates look identical to IE. I'm going to do a few searches and see if people are having issued with the other companies as well.

Eibach Camber Plates
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

those eibach's are identical to the SPC's. rfibanez has a set i believe and they are holding up well. i have a set of hsports that also utilize a pillowball mount with no issues. i rarely hear of people having troubles with other camber plates but the ireland's seem to have problems quite often.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

I wish I had known that prior to buying these. I bought them used and they seem to be in good shape. When I was told about the problems I thought maybe I could modify them in order to overcome any of the issues. The metal plates themselves look like the others mentioned. Maybe they are a softer metal being used? I was going to get a set of spc's but then these pop'd up and they were about a third of the price.

After looking at the Eibach camber plates I thought about incorporating a couple round blanks and drilling them out for the adjustment screws. ¿Maybe that might clear up some alignment issues?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

It is one of the few items you really cant cheap out on, b/c it will really come to bite you if you do. While the cheaper materials certainly hurt, the real issue is the poor engineering in them. If you can make them work, then more power to you. Like you said, they do resemble a lot of other plates, but they just arent as good of a product.

IMO Vorshlag. Costly, but ZEEEEEEEEEEEERO issues from them to date.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
H Rated - 130 mph

crap... Well without an actual comparison about materials used between the different manufacturers that use the same system as IE... it's hard to find what the weak link is. Cheap materials is kind of a vague answer. Are all the materials cheap and substandard? There are not many differences I can see between the IE's and the other three on the market. They look pretty much identical.

Im just going to buy a set of fixed camber plates for the time. I want to spend money on some other mod's and upgrades before forking out 500 bucks on a set of high quality camber plates.

Although the engineering side of me wants to try and find out how to fix the IE's so that everyone that has bought a set wins. So far the only thing I can see is the issue with the bearing pulling from the pillow block due to poor prep.