motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Style Share your automotive styles, both inside and out.

Go Back   motoring|underground > Showoffs > Style

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default DEPO headlights

Hey guys, figured i'd post this here since there's no real "lighting" section of the forum.

I've stumbled across these headlights that pretty much are just joey modded headlights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2008-Mi...0f4f24&vxp=mtr
im thinking about getting these, because there's no way im cutting open my other headlights. ive heard really good things about this brand. on my old civic one headlight was a DEPO and the other was OEM, and i couldn't tell a single difference until i looked closer, for all i know they're the same as far as quality is concerned
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by zch_R53 View Post
for all i know they're the same as far as quality is concerned
Really? General market opinion is that DEPO's are garbage in terms of quality.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

well i guess it just depends then. i know for a fact the one i had was good. probably just a hit and miss type of thing
Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by zch_R53 View Post
well i guess it just depends then. i know for a fact the one i had was good. probably just a hit and miss type of thing
I think the chance of receiving a quality DEPO part is pretty low. The general consensus that their quality is lacking is rather common in most scenes that I've been in.

It's rare that the ebay tuner parts are ever good.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

i see, i just figured maybe this would work seeing as im scared to cut the headlights open and risk ruining them, but still want some "joey modded" halogens. i'm glad i asked first, i know you guys know more about this stuff than i do lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

If you don't want to cut them open yourself, send them here...http://blackflamecustoms.com/...my MINI parts guy just got his back...came out real nice.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

^ that looks like a pretty good idea! the only thing is i would need to buy myself more headlights in order to do this as my car is used every day.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Don't be skeered, a Joey mod is really simple, just a little scary the first time, once you've opened one up & have seen how basic the whole thing is, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
I can have a light out of the car & apart in 30 min, PM me if you decide to give it a shot & want some pointers. A full Joey mod is a one day project at best, it probably takes more time letting the paint dry than anything else.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-28-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlwnAway View Post
Don't be skeered, a Joey mod is really simple, just a little scary the first time, once you've opened one up & seen how basic the whole thing is, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
I can have a light out of the car & apart in 30 min, PM me if you decide to give it a shot & want some pointers. A full Joey mod is a one day project at best, it probably takes more time letting the paint dry than anything else.
I couldn't agree more, I just did mine and it's stupid easy it's so easy. You really do spend more time letting the paint dry than anything else. You would almost have to try to ruin your headlights to do it wrong
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

thanks for those encouraging words! I think i'll go ahead and give it a shot. what all tools should I get? and also what paint is the best?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

you get what you pay. i have some depo's on my e30 but they've been perfecting and bettering that product specifically for almost 10 years now and mine have no issues especially since they're glass. i know most of the enclosed bmw lights generally suck and the MINI light is exactly that, an enclosed light. previous problems have been lack of silicone for a proper seal and low quality plastic molds.

as others have said, diy joey mod is the most cost efficient. try to use paints that are suited for higher temps.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Yup, as far as paint, try & find a high temp in the right color, if not just use a "better" quality paint, no matter which, take time with your surface prep & you'll be OK.

As far as tools, for the Joey itself (taking the headlight apart) you really only need a heat gun, towel or soft cloth & one or more flat blade screwdrivers:
Heatgun, any cheapo will do, you don't need a super high temp gun, you're just softening up rubberized adheasive, not melting stuff.
Soft Cloth, I prefer to put down a soft cloth on my work surface, place the headlight, lense down, on the cloth, so you can spin it while you're heating the lip of the housing back, to help evenly distribute the heat.
Flat Blade Screwdriver, this is just to help start the seperation, I like to have 2 seperate ones, a smaller narrower one to get things started, then a wider bladed one to finish the job. (the reason I like the wide blade is that instead of placing the blade inbetween the housing & lense & "prying" it apart, you take less of a chance hurting anything by "twisting" the blade of the screwdriver.)

Just remember, be somewhat gental, if it doesn't want to seperate with minimal force, it just isn't hot enough yet, let the heat do the work, not the screwdriver.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

hi temp isn't needed I did mine in '07 I think with regular old krylon. If you have a facelift car ('05-06) they are stupid simple.

I did these on the palace station garage roof one night at one of the AMVIV (don't remember which)

Have never tried the pre-'05 was going to try Agros '04 the same year but got sidetracked by booze and slots it is supposedly more difficult
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?

Last edited by AllBlack05S; 03-10-2013 at 03:31 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Thanks for all the replies guys! I suppose I'll be doing this whenever I have a free day at home. Mine are the face lifted halogens though, so should be easier than expected
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to AllBlack05S

if you want to use an oven. 230 degrees on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes and they just pull apart easy. Obviously remove the bulbs, ballast etc. there are some good write ups here and on the other, bloated with ads mini forum from North America
why do i have a feeling that's gonna make it into someone's sig...?